totaled Vehicle. how to negotiate a higher offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So got confirm they have totaled my CRV. the offer they sent was not bad, but i would like to see if i could get more. never had totaled vehicle before and am curious the process. i have not replied to the adjuster yet .

So those that have been through the process, how does it work?

Shop for a used car the same as yours. You're supposed to get enough to take the insurance money to a dealer and buy a car the same make model and condition like yours was just before it crashed. Including tax.

Who is processing your claim, your carrier or the other party's ?

Check used car sales in your general area for the same model, year, and similar mileage and compile a list of prices. Not private Craigslist sales, used car lots (and new car dealers with used car sales). Come up with a range of prices and an average. If a lower-priced vehicle isn't in as good of condition, note that and do NOT include it's price when you do the average. It's not really ethical, but you could certainly "miss" some low-priced cars for sale that skew your average....

Did yours have new(er) tires ? If so and they cost you, say, $800 total, you could argue it had some add'l value (but don't claim the full amount). Better be able to show a receipt with mileage too.

Is thier offer between the black book wholesale and dealer retail?

Get some numbers for fair geo local resale prices - minus mileage and previous damage and push for that.

Edmunds may have that - though I dont know if their numbers are professionally recognised as is Galves Black Book.

Just know "Dealer Asking Price" is not a selling price if you are looking at autotrader or cars.com

You may also request the insurance co. method of calculation or "replacement value"

Last edited:
they area using a company Audatex to determine value. its my own insurance . the price offered seems smack in the middle of the stuff i see on craiglist. its higher than edmunds though.

car was in 95% condition. it was clean , but not perfect.

My 2006 Odyssey was lost in the great Harvey flood. It was older but loaded out, and in near perfect condition, and low mileage due to it only being a highway cruiser /garage queen. I performed excellent preventative maintenance on it through the years, at my extra expense.

I got a settlement with a whopping $23 dollars extra, for its excellent condition. I could have bought another 2006 model, but I could not find anything near its condition for the low amount I was given (<5K).

Originally Posted by WhyMe
they area using a company Audatex to determine value. its my own insurance . the price offered seems smack in the middle of the stuff i see on craiglist. its higher than edmunds though.
That name sounds familiar from when Erie totalled our Odyssey. They used used car lot pricing as I recall though. Maybe they didn't find enough similar models for sale at retail (??).

I was initially surprised at the (low) value of our Odyssey but then realized it was 12 years old and had 150k miles on it. I then looked up what they were for sale for locally and Erie's offer was above the middle-of-the-road pricing, so I couldn't really complain.

Arguing condition is going to be the best bet. Did they rate everything as average? Check out similar condition, mileage and optioned out vehicles from Carmax.

As mentioned above, tax, tag, title, rental car, and other expenses are part of the equation.

Insurance companies must make you whole, minus your deductible.

Around here, a $15,000 used vehicle from a dealership will have $1050 tax, up to $500 dealer service fee, a $250 tag fee and up to $100 registration fee. Clearly, if you get $14K for your $15K vehicle, you "could" be pushing $3000 shy of replacement cost.

Last edited:
I absolutely had to deal with a terrible insurance adjuster that tried to stiff me $1700 on the value of my Pontiac Vibe. Even with showing him local prices. I had to write a letter to his boss to get the problem resolved.

Sounds like you are good.

Doing another CRV?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Sounds like you are good.

Doing another CRV?

probably not. gonna get another wagon style. miss my outback and the extra length. the offer they gave me included tax license and other cost.

Was your car financed and you still owed money on it? If so, do you have gap insurance? Your regular insurance plus the gap insurance will cover the entire outstanding balance, even if you owe more than the car is worth, so you don't have to worry about negotiating anything
smile.gif

Ask for a copy of the report...

I can help you read it, if it is right it is right, if it is wrong it is wrong... there is really nothing very subjective about it.

On a Honda start with if the model and equipment is correct, because AudaVIN does not work on Hondas, then look at conditions, there are specific definitions for conditions...

Last edited:
So got confirm they have totaled my CRV. the offer they sent was not bad, but i would like to see if i could get more. never had totaled vehicle before and am curious the process. i have not replied to the adjuster yet .

ANY repair items that might have been done within the prior 180 days should be added - new battery, new tires, brakes, transmission service, anything tangible like that has to be factored in -- I know from experience.

Originally Posted by mk378
Shop for a used car the same as yours. You're supposed to get enough to take the insurance money to a dealer and buy a car the same make model and condition like yours was just before it crashed. Including tax.

This is correct. (I worked in car insurance for several years)

Get 3 prices of vehicles with same options, mileage, condition. Print from online and send to insurance company. (Shop the high end of course ...)

They will use CCC, it can be very lowball number esp if your model isnt common.

Back when my 2009 elantra touring was totaled they started at 14k and ended up paying me 19.5k after settlement and sales tax reimbursement (for purchasing new car)

They lowballed in several ways.. first they tried to compare it to a single comparable with 150k miles and hail damage and gave it a couple thousand adjustment..(my car was mint, Loaded model, 1.5 years old and 20k miles)

Then they "found some more comparibles" but used regular elantra .. which is totally different car 3-5k cheaper.
its like using a ford focus as a comparible for the ford fusion.. the elantra touring model is a totally different platform.

Then they played tried to jip me on the rental car.. this was all through my insurance after the other guys insurance was being shiesty

I eventually got my $500 deductable back too.. and moved on from farmers insurance asap.

disclaimer all numbers are from memory.. but the post is still here from sometime in 2011

So the answer is research the value.. ask them to explain in detail how they arrived at that number and put your bull(poop) detector on high

Originally Posted by HouseTiger

ANY repair items that might have been done within the prior 180 days should be added - new battery, new tires, brakes, transmission service, anything tangible like that has to be factored in -- I know from experience.

Not really at least with audatex. Tires yes because they will affect condition and the CR may have some authority but don't count on it and also don't count on dollar for dollar is so.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by mk378

This is correct. (I worked in car insurance for several years)

Get 3 prices of vehicles with same options, mileage, condition. Print from online and send to insurance company. (Shop the high end of course ...)

Not anymore. Audatex will have the comparables, it is unlikely they will accept user submitted comparables. Probably because people shop the high end.

Originally Posted by Rand
They will use CCC, it can be very lowball number esp if your model isn't common.

He already said Audatex.

Do you carry collision on your vehicle? If yes you can get offer from your own insurance company who simply negotiated and gets paid by other insurer.

The answer is easy. All insurance outfits want to close the claim fast. Just give them a number and if they don't agree then say okay how many years do we keep the claim open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back