Tools that that you thought were stupid to buy when you bought them and now can’t live without.

Another one was this little gem - the Facom ratcheting oil filter wrench.

Doenst fit everywhere, but if it does its my go to every time it fits.

richnewlandfacomwrench.jpg

Last edited:
This is kind of hard to describe -

The open end of the wrench is designed in such a way that it allows you to "ratchet " back and forth without removing and flipping the wrench - when working on something too tight to get an air or electric tool on like a header bolts (like on that V10 in my avatar) these are the bees knees.

Here is another vs of the open end ratcheting wrench.

This is kind of hard to describe -

The open end of the wrench is designed in such a way that it allows you to "ratchet " back and forth without removing and flipping the wrench - when working on something too tight to get an air or electric tool on like a header bolts (like on that V10 in my avatar) these are the bees knees.
I have something similar but thinner … when I have needed them it made the moment

Here is another vs of the open end ratcheting wrench.

Interesting a mechanical version,

Im intrigued - oh no I have to stop buying tools, but its stronger than me....

I also have 2 out of a set of facom "fast action" the always missing 10MM and a 12MM- their end design is different yet. Stock photo not mine.

Facom-Fast-Action-Wrench-Open-End.jpg

Funny, I’ve had a set if Craftsman since the early 90s. I tried to like them ......on many occasions but I never found an actual use that something else didn’t do better😞
I bet I have the same set, it gets little to no use.

Back in the 80's I bought a 36 inch SnapOn 1/4 extension. It turned out to be pretty useless as it twists too much to actually break a bolt loose.

But it is great for getting dropped tools,nuts and bolts from under a car. That is why I kept it.
Have your snapon dealer warranty it for a current production. The newer extensions twist much less. I had my grandfathers 3/8 36 inch extension from that vintage and it was similar, could twist it almost 90 degrees. Had my snapon dealer swap it and the difference is night and day

Extra long 1/4 inch drive Snapon flex head ratchet. Thought it was stupid when the snapon man walked in with it. My dad bought one on the spot, thought he was foolish for buying it. After I found it was spending more time on my side of the shop than his I bought 2 of my own

A large paint mixer that fits in a drill motor. Mix Paint, mix concrete, whip up car wash soap......the thing is doggone handy...
Second would be a rubber mallet
Third would be a small ball peen hammer. Made me realize that most of my hammers are too large for the job.....

My problem is just the opposite. I bought lots of tools that I thought I couldn’t live without and now I realize I WAS stupid for buying them in the first place. Oh well.

Do you still have them? If so sell them.someone else may need them.

I've bought tools that were on sale with the hunch that when I need them years later, they will not be on sale.

Small stubby Matco 1/4 air ratchet. Found it used on the snap on truck. Almost didn’t buy it because I didn’t think I’d ever use it but I kept going back to it. I use it every day now on anything from coil pack bolts to CAC boot clamps. I primarily work on forklifts, skidsteers, and OTR trucks. Paired it with a Flexzilla swivel whip hose.

M12 fuel 3/8 stubby

...I don't power up the compressor much anymore, because why drag a heavy hose and the big 1/2 HF impact when this angry little bastard will strip things if you aren't paying attention

Especially with the XC 4.0 batteries

I check and air up my tires more often now that I've got the M12 inflator

"...50% tool, 50% fastener, but it was 100% easier." supton, copyright that quick!

Trav, A neighbor asked for help replacing the thermostat housing on his 2015 Pentastar (Chrysler T&C van).
I took out my cable hose clamp tool and he said, "WOW"......which is what I said years before when I began using it.

Last edited:
Back