Tools that that you thought were stupid to buy when you bought them and now can’t live without.

Honestly I thought of another one and that is universal joints and swivel sockets I have a few swivel sockets and they are life savers. And universal joints I use to hardly never use but now I use them all the time.

Reviving this thread from the dead. There have been a lot of new tools in the last few years, it will be interesting to see what new items get discussed.

For me, I really enjoy the 10/12/14mm versions of the Snap-On Swivel Ball Extension Power Sockets. Anytime I need a socket + extension, these are my first grab; somehow their length has been perfect for my purposes. You never have to worry about losing your socket and the extra swivel allows for easier fastener head engagement in tight spots.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Last edited:
Reviving this thread from the dead. There have been a lot of new tools in the last few years, it will be interesting to see what new items get discussed.

For me, I really enjoy the 10/12/14mm versions of the Snap-On Swivel Ball Extension Power Sockets. Anytime I need a socket + extension, these are my first grab; somehow their length has been perfect for my purposes. You never have to worry about losing your socket and the extra swivel allows for easier fastener head engagement in tight spots.

View attachment 154154
IIRC Astro tools might be working on them as a lower cost, good quality alternative. I can see them as being useful.

IIRC Astro tools might be working on them as a lower cost, good quality alternative. I can see them as being useful.
I remember him mentioning that. It would be nice to have some that are impact-rated, as the snap-on ones are not. I'm sure that is part of the reason why the Gearwrench ones don't last.

View attachment 154154
These extensions are, by far, my favorite tool. They don't work well with ratchets in my opinion, but throw them on a 3/8 impact and they're awesome. Also, nice Precision Instruments torque wrench. They make great stuff.

These extensions are, by far, my favorite tool. They don't work well with ratchets in my opinion, but throw them on a 3/8 impact and they're awesome. Also, nice Precision Instruments torque wrench. They make great stuff.
I don’t use mine on impact tools - only cordless ratchets or hand tools. They specifically say “non impact” on them.

Metrinch..... Purchased them in the early 2000s and still use them today...The best tool set I ever purchased...

I don’t use mine on impact tools - only cordless ratchets or hand tools. They specifically say “non impact” on them.
I know they do. I use them on impacts anyway. The joint on them makes it hard to use on ratchets for me because I only use flex head ratchets. Swiveling at two separate points makes it awkward to use. I've put them through the daily abuse of my 3/8 air gun for years with no issues.

I know they do. I use them on impacts anyway. The joint on them makes it hard to use on ratchets for me because I only use flex head ratchets. Swiveling at two separate points makes it awkward to use. I've put them through the daily abuse of my 3/8 air gun for years with no issues.
Got it. Mine fit rather loose on Milwaukee 3/8" impact guns so I haven't tried. I even replace the hog ring on my Milwaukee stubby, thinking it would improve....but no.

The Snap-On impact swivels fit fairly well on my Milwaukee impacts, so I almost wonder if it was intentional lol.

I remember him mentioning that. It would be nice to have some that are impact-rated, as the snap-on ones are not. I'm sure that is part of the reason why the Gearwrench ones don't last.
I'm hoping they follow through.

Going out of the garage and into the house, my years ago my brother-in-law gave me an aluminum paint roller extension. I remember thinking it was kind of silly. But I love that thing. I also remember the first time I spent to money and bought a quality paint roller handle, instead of the cheap ones. I absolutely love the feel of the Purdy in my hand, and would never go back to the cheap ones. The Wooster is a close second.

Another tool that I thought was just a silly toy at the time I bought it, was my laser "tape measure". It has proven to be a very valuable tool. I love it.

View attachment 154154
Dude! What kind of hand cleaner do you use?

Back