Too much noise at the gun club...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the local suburban newspaper a story about the local trap range that's been operating since 1956 at a country club. The jist is some grumpy neighbors have hired a lawyer to 'get rid of the shooting range'. OK, not a rare story in itself, but apparently there has been more shooting year by year as local junior and high school boys and girls have taken to this more recent organized competitive school sport and now measure at more than 9000 shooters in Minnesota...MORE THAN PLAY HOCKEY! I knew that some years ago an older gun club member approached school boards about adding this and that it's been growing but no idea it has grown so much=almost hard to believe in today's climate.

I have see this many times. Gun range out in the middle of nowhere. Over the years pricey homes get built up in the area and the city folk that moved out there don't like the noise so they take them to court and shut them down. They need to call up the NRA. They have a team of lawyers that deal with this type of problem.

Same with racing 1/4 and 1/8 mile tracks... build houses around it and then sue to shut it down.

Sad, ... they were their 1st.

OP indicated 'there is more shooting year by year'; people moving close to the range isn't the only thing that has changed.

Should the range be able to be used @ 10 or 11 @ night, when it the past it has not been?

People seem to be choosing sides b4 any facts are known. A link might be helpful. Maybe they want to 'get rid of the range' since all reasonable attempts to manage the situation have gone unresponded.

-

Last edited:
First off Im a Gun owner, that being Said, I have a county law enforcement (Sheriff) outdoor gun range about 1 and one half miles to the west of my home site, and its loud (the gunfire),and I even hear it inside my well built home. I even Hear the gunshots at work, about 5 miles from the shooting range. It really dont bother me,Its training to keep the public safe.

Have seen it more times than I care for.

The worst was the speedway that I used to go to as a teen got built right up to, then closed...the residents argued that they were never shown their house at 9PM on a Saturday night...and it stuck.

Another guy I know wanted to build in the buffer zone of a coal mine, where home building was not allowed...he sued to get permission to build on his (inherited) land, claiming that he knew the col mine was there and would be noisy...7 years later, he sued the mine for being noisy, they insulated his house, double glazed it, installed aircon, and pay for the electricity to run the aircon.

But as to ranges, here's an aerial of our local range...smack bang in the middle of town...when people built houses right up to the 900 yard mound, we all thought knew that they were stupid and would turn to arsehattery...which they did, and had the entire community against them.

Range stays !!!

range.jpg

Note, most of those houses have co-habited with the range for over half a century...just the few new ones right at the 900 mound were problems.

There are several gun ranges in California that are now in the process of having new gun noise problems. One possible solution for many of the nosiest guns is illegal, a silencer.

OneEyeJack,
that's why New Zealand is such a great place.

Suppressors on centrefires and rimfires are actively pushed by the Govt to reduce noise at ranges and recreational hunting.

Australian media portray it as James Bond snipes death from afar etc, but NZ consider it courtesy to neighbours.

Jack-we just added a 'suppressor' law allowing them-along with many other states now-probably harder to be as effective with shotguns tho.
The noise has always been there , but likely more now with the school kids added-even if hunting/shooting is down generally in Minn from the past.
It may also be a bad mix of personalities for all I know. The general area has been fully developed for many years, so probably newer folks moved in. Other clubs have fairly good relationships with neighbors.
I am an fairly inactive member of another more rural club and we bought more buffer land even as legislation is in place to 'protect' ranges from this type of thing.
What I thought was interesting about the story was a guy convincing educators to allow this sport and the huge growth.

Have the town/township/county make the developer or builder put a clause into the sale document that you will be hearing gunfire from the range and you may not file any suit in regards to it nor take any other action against it.

More and more problems with Rod and Gun clubs. All it takes is a bullet to leave the club and hit where its not supposed to hit. The other problem is liability insurance. Fewer and fewer people want to be club officers.

Most of these clubs were built in the late 40's and early 50's as the country became more recreational oriented with many men coming out of the service. Its a different age and I expect most clubs to disappear in the not too distant future. Sad.

Last edited:
Our local gun club has been shut down - the new bypass is going right through it...so it's been relocated down the road a bit. A local is world skeet champ, but I don't think he's Olympic material.

We have a speedway in the middle of Auckland city that's been there since the '30's, spent most summer saturday nights there in the '70's.They hold all the big rock concerts there too. The area was a bit run down then, kauri villas turned into student flats...but then they became sort after, a million bucks would get you dump now. There was a big push to get the place shut down, and noise restrictions are in place....been going on for years, new owners not wanting the noise. Latest news last week is that speedway is there to stay !!!!

Same [censored] at my local range. Neighbor took a cartridge to court to claim it hit their roof.

You know, not a bullet but the whole cartridge. LOL

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yep. Some folks on city government will get cash under the table to pass some silly noise ordinance banning gun range.

Really, sounds more like elected federal office holders there.

The problem with the gun range is a zoning problem. And the inefficient use of rural land called "suburban sprawl" is the root cause of this problem.

Keeping rural property committed to rural uses is the key. Do that and water quality, cost of urban services, and our overall quality of life improves.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have see this many times. Gun range out in the middle of nowhere. Over the years pricey homes get built up in the area and the city folk that moved out there don't like the noise so they take them to court and shut them down. They need to call up the NRA. They have a team of lawyers that deal with this type of problem.

Michigan has the Sport shooting range act passed in 1989 which protects existing ranges.

We have a similar situation at a local landfill. People built houses next to it expecting its permit to expire. When it was renewed for 20 years they complained about, among other stupid things, property value.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Michigan has the Sport shooting range act passed in 1989 which protects existing ranges.

Yep thanks for that law. Michigan has also joined the High School clay league that's in Minnesota and many other states. That sport is really taking off across the country.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...s-hot-new-sport

http://www.usaclaytarget.com/#fancyboxID-1

No one complains about our club because they knew about it before buying/building their home and knew the zoning would not change, they signed legal papers agreeing to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back