Too much noise at the gun club...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Same [censored] at my local range. Neighbor took a cartridge to court to claim it hit their roof.

You know, not a bullet but the whole cartridge. LOL

Thank goodness for stupidity of the masses.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Same [censored] at my local range. Neighbor took a cartridge to court to claim it hit their roof.

You know, not a bullet but the whole cartridge. LOL

Thank goodness for stupidity of the masses.

Can't a person be prosecuted for bringing false charges?

I sometimes wonder why old dumps can't be used for gun ranges. No one wants to live near either.

Issue would be half-resolved if we simply removed the stupid tax & various state laws on silencers/suppressors/mufflers. I can't drive a moderately obnoxious loud car without mufflers (although Harley Davidson riders apparently can) but have to pay through the nose to reduce the noise on a vastly louder item.

Building next to a gun range, air port, or other noisy place and then complaining about the noise would be almost as stupid as joining a forum and complaining about what you're allowed to post.

Sadly, both happen way too many times.

A local shooting range spent a fortune on legal fees fighting the same thing. As a developer I find the entire thing crazy.

The gun club I'm a member of is very good about buying our neighbors. We spent $500k not to long ago buying a house with a large piece of land that butted up against club lands. The solution to prevent encroachment is to buy up the typically elderly neighbors houses as they come up for sale, demo them, and deed them as open space.

My club is very good about maintaining and expanding its buffer. As a member I have zero problem paying for these assessments, cheaper than lawsuits!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

V
Issue would be half-resolved if we simply removed the stupid tax & various state laws on silencers/suppressors/mufflers. I can't drive a moderately obnoxious loud car without mufflers (although Harley Davidson riders apparently can) but have to pay through the nose to reduce the noise on a vastly louder item.

I think it was France, where silencers were a REQUIREMENT at a Gun club.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have see this many times. Gun range out in the middle of nowhere. Over the years pricey homes get built up in the area and the city folk that moved out there don't like the noise so they take them to court and shut them down. They need to call up the NRA. They have a team of lawyers that deal with this type of problem.

Michigan has the Sport shooting range act passed in 1989 which protects existing ranges.

Minnesota has the exact same law. The gun club is not going anywhere unless they want to.

I live 2 blocks from the gun club that I also shoot at year round. This year we are adding an additional night of trap shooting to accommodate the large number of high school trap teams using our facility. 4 nights a week now for the high school league starting in late March through the end of May.

It's a wonderful experience watching hundreds of high school boys and girls enjoying trap shooting. The added benefit is how polite and well mannered most of the kids are towards the older club members.

Even though I live 2 blocks away from the club, I hardly notice the noise anymore, and my neighbors don't seem to mind either. As an added bonus, the club allows free use of their clubhouse for an annual neighborhood christmas party. A win for both sides!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There are several gun ranges in California that are now in the process of having new gun noise problems. One possible solution for many of the nosiest guns is illegal, a silencer.

What about the rounds that can't be surprised by those?

Also, "gun nuts" make some pretty ingenious homemade silencers.

I still want to go to Vegas and shoot an M60!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With all the silly anti gun politics, many think firearms are taboo.

Millenials are stupid

They honestly think Constitution needs a re-write.

They might tell you otherwise, but that is what they are about.

I use to shot at an indoor range in Powell, OH which eventually had a housing development build less than 100 feet behind it. They quit allowing patrons to shoot magnum rounds after the homes were built. The place sucked anyways. If you showed up when they opened and it was freezing cold outside,you cold see your breath in the gun range.

The folks making a stink in that article bought their homes in 2001 and 2010 respectively. All public records. Gun club has been there since 1956. Who's in the wrong there?

Will state that while Minnesota has a law in place protecting existing gun clubs, in practice it is poorly written and nearly impossible to interpret.

A local gun club recently did sound testing, and has elected not share the test results (with the local zoning authority) to pursue an expansion of hours to deal with the expansion needed for the high school league. Reason: the background noise is already above the allowed noise level for the gun range, and the law gives no way to deal with that. In that case, the club has been operating since the '60s, but there are several neighbors bending the ears of commissioners (all of whom moved in well after the club started operating).

Same folks who think they own their view. Or don't like airplane noise but don't want to live too far from the airport.

It would seem with the success of the school shooting sports that it would be a good time to rewrite and pass effective legislation that actually is understood and 'does the job' to protect the ranges.
Yes, racetracks, airports and noisy freeways can fit into this as well. We have a house on a freeway, an 'up nort' shack near a raceway and I grew up a mile away from MSP under one of the parallels. Property values and sales really weren't affected with any and I'd think that would be a measure of any actual 'suffering' by neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back