To change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were about to leave for a 1500 mile round trip and your oil change was due in 500 miles would you change it before or after the trip? Part of me figures long highway miles are pretty easy on oil and running that on fresh oil might be a waste... but the BITOG in me wants to get it done early... FWIW this is a f150 with 2.7l eco boost (with high oil level that smells gassy)...

What oil is currently in the truck? How many miles on the current oil fill?

If it was me, I would change it but if you have a good synthetic you'll be fine.

I agree.
If the OP has only done ~ 3K-4K miles thus far, there is nothing wrong with putting on another 1500(hiwy) miles if the oils is of a decent quality. But, we need to know how many miles and what oil(dino/syn) is currently in the mill.

Change the oil after you get back and don't worry about it. Resist the mass hysteria.

On a NORMAL engine, I'd take the highway trip and run the miles up.
Originally Posted by buck91
this is a f150 with 2.7l eco boost (with high oil level that smells gassy)...
If your 2.7 oil already smells gassy, then change it.

If you were about to leave for a 1500 mile round trip and your oil change was due in 500 miles would you change it before or after the trip? Part of me figures long highway miles are pretty easy on oil and running that on fresh oil might be a waste... but the BITOG in me wants to get it done early... FWIW this is a f150 with 2.7l eco boost (with high oil level that smells gassy)...

Change it before. All you are saving by not changing it is zero money, and just a few days or weeks by putting it off. Where is the reward?

Either before or after, its not going to make a difference. If it were me though, it would be changed before the trip.

Originally Posted by Linctex
On a NORMAL engine, I'd take the highway trip and run the miles up.
this is a f150 with 2.7l eco boost (with high oil level that smells gassy)...
If your 2.7 oil already smells gassy, then change it.

+1

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
What oil is currently in the truck? How many miles on the current oil fill?

This is the big question that will determine the answer.
How many total miles, driving conditions, and previous maintenance on the truck also make a difference.

Any other advice without this info is just a guess.

Originally Posted by wdn
Change the oil after you get back and don't worry about it...

^^Agree^^ almost to the point that the point is silly. *L* 1000+ miles over on an oil change is not even a thought for your trip.

Last edited:
I had a completely full oil level--no burning-- for the first 3000 miles until taking a recent 800 mile trip. Lost about four ounces, not enough to worry about but always wondered whether the loss was fuel from the GDI engine. Mine didn't smell gassy.

Last edited:
Is getting it changed this one time at a shop or VIOC during your trip not an option?🤔

If it wasn't a Turbo I'd let it go. But it isn't be kind to you motor and change it out. besides you won't be likely to be changing it the snow if you do it now.

Yes I would change it. High oil level reeking of gas is not a good thing, especially in a turbo on a long trip. Just imagine if you are on the way back, knowing you are nearly 1000 miles beyond the recommended service interval, and you have to run the engine hard for some reason, with oil that already smelled of gas 1500 miles ago... will that make you cringe? Besides, you can get good oil for cheap nowadays. Just change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back