Titan XD gains gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ward's

Quote:
Nissan takes the next step toward building its Titan portfolio by adding a gasoline V-8 to the XD mix, creating a supremely confident and powerful pickup in the process.

The Titan XD, which fits in a middling gap between light-duty and heavy-duty pickups, was introduced a year ago with a Cummins 5.0L turbodiesel engine as the sole powerplant. While extremely capable for towing and hauling, the 310-hp, 555-lb.-ft. (752-Nm) diesel powertrain is harsh compared to other gas and even diesel-powered light-duty competitors.

Nissan says the XD fills uncharted “whitespace” in the market, appealing to some 75,000 light-duty owners looking to move up to a more-capable truck and an equal number of heavy-duty drivers seeking a lighter-duty alternative.

Now comes the gasoline-powered 5.6L V-8, a highly sophisticated engine that produces 390 hp and 401 lb.-ft. (544 Nm) of torque, up significantly from the same displacement V-8 it replaces that produced 317 hp and 385 lb.-ft. (522 Nm) of torque.

I'm not going to buy it if it doesn't have the CUMMINGS, BRO!

I didn't realize that it was not available with a gasoline engine at first. I am surprised that it uses a steering box instead of a rack and pinion steering setup.

Guess that comes with the territory of being a heavy-half-ton truck.

Also - is it not possible to get it with a regular cab and long bed?

Their "whitespace" reasoning is a little interesting, I suppose its their way of saying that they couldn't make a capable 3/4 truck if you are the glass half empty type. The competitive truck market already wrote off the Titan before, and I'm not so sure that this uplevel version is good enough for people to notice.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Their "whitespace" reasoning is a little interesting, I suppose its their way of saying that they couldn't make a capable 3/4 truck if you are the glass half empty type. The competitive truck market already wrote off the Titan before, and I'm not so sure that this uplevel version is good enough for people to notice.

Yup; investing millions in a niche market never goes well. People might flock to it though. I know that lots of folks opt for the F150's heavy payload package, the joke is that it's a 5/8 ton....

They already make an HD drivetrain. I'm not sure why they didnt just make it full on HD. Maybe the tooling and design cost between the XD and base is less than design of a full HD? Doubtful since they already have the HD vans.

To me, the gas engine makes more sense unless you tow heavy quite often. The gas engine gives up towing, but actually has more payload. As far as mileage, the diesel doesn't seem to be too impressive from what I've read.

I don't know how well Nissan will do in this area. Despite not towing much more(if at all) than some half tons, I would imagine the XD would be much more stable due to the chassis and weight of the truck.

Sounds to me kinda like the heavy payload F-150. Still has most of the comfiness and DD tolerability of a 1/2 ton, but is closer in capability to a 3/4 ton (not quite there, but with a lot less sacrifice for those who don't need the full ability of a 3/4 ton).

For the price of a decent outfitted Titan up here one would just move over and get a Cummins Ram 2500 and gain more capability.

Or knows they can't take it head-on, so they offer a niche product to go after the outlier consumers. In the end, they just have to turn a profit to make worth a go for them. Whether it makes sense for consumers to bother is a different story.

I have a 5,500 pound-30 foot travel trailer I tow with a 5.3 (315HP) Chevrolet Silverado. This Titan XD gas is perfect and the extra horses (390) wouldn't make it such a chore on mountain passes here in the west.

I have no desire ever to own a diesel or "Ecoboost" motor and this truck will definitely be a consideration next time around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back