Tire recommendation--will be towing

I had an unfortunate incident last night with a jerk and his junk loaded flat bed with no covering. Now I need new tires for my truck and would like suggestions.

Truck is my 2017 Frontier 2WD and I do tow our boat pretty regularly. The stock tires were the OEM Hankooks, which I didn't really care for at all. They were horrible in the wet and that was amplified on the boat ramp.

What would you all recommend for this use case? I only put about 7-9k a year on my truck. Mainly around town with occasional trips down the turnpike to Tulsa from Norman. Including my boat towing. Boat is a pontoon, so not crazy heavy.

Last edited:
tire size?
smile.gif

I've been pleased with the firestone destinations on my titan.

UD

I had a set of Michelin LTX's and they had no wet or snow traction. Everyone here said they were the best, so I shelled out $800 for a set.

Worst tire mistake I've ever made..

However, I do like the General Grabber HTS tire. I have those on my Sierra 1/2 ton, and pull a 5000 pound camper with it.

WalMart sells a variant of this same tire called the Grabber STX.

what type of tire are you looking for? all terrain? highway?

size?

I see the Michelin hater(s) beat me here.. never seen one bad set of tires mentioned so often.

Should have mentioned size obviously. It's 265/70 R16 and I haven't had much luck finding anything with an XL load rating. I am wondering if it's due to the size of the OEM wheel.

My local DT, for some odd reason, keeps trying to sell me on their Pathfinder tires. Even though I kept asking them about other models.

My initial search had me looking at--

Cooper Discoverer HTP
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
Continental Terrain Contact AT or HT
Nokian One HT
Yoko Geolander AT G015
Yoko Geo HT G056
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

The only reason for me adding an AT tire to the list, is due to some weird thought I had that they may add more traction in wet, specifically on the slick boat ramp.

Continental Terrain Contact AT is a very highway oriented all terrain. That may fit your needs very well. I also recommend the General Hts60 which is an all season and most of my customers have loved the Michelin Defender Ltx.

I have Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus on my wife's Yukon XL for about 10k so far in a 22" size. Great so far towing occasionally as well as very quiet and should have a long treadlife. They were recommended here by multiple people.

Michelin Defender LTX. Excellent wet weather traction on pavement, and certainly passable with Mountain snow out west.

They also hold their own off-road out west as well.

There is a reason they are the standard.

Location is Oklahoma...

Snow...hardly never.
Ice...that's the norm but still rare. And if it's icy I'm staying home
Rain...normal

I guess a question that I have that I haven't thought to ask is....

Does an AT tire provide better traction in wet conditions on a compromised surface? i.e. boat ramp?
Or does that even matter in my case?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cb_13
Continental Terrain Contact AT is a very highway oriented all terrain. That may fit your needs very well. I also recommend the General Hts60 which is an all season and most of my customers have loved the Michelin Defender Ltx.

Continental Terrain Contact AT, Consumer Reports has as those as "good" at wet braking. Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT, Falken WildPeak A/T AT3W are good as well. Michelin LTX A/T 2 is "fair" at wet braking.
To get better wet traction you have to get into performance SUV tires which will be pretty scary in any snow or ice.

So no one is going to accuse me of being a Michelin lover but I have received 3 great sets of tires in a row from them now.

one of the 3 is a set of new defenders for my truck, I really like them. Good in the wet, not to noisy, just ok on gravel cant talk about snow. I would recommend them without hesitation

From the tires you posted the Yokohama AT G015 is a great choice, we live in similar weather. They do great in sand,rain,wet grass and ok in mud.

Originally Posted by cb_13

I have the conti's and are very happy with them. They are quiet, they ride great, they are the best truck tire I've had in the rain, compared with cooper rtx, Firestone LE2, and Bridgestone Revo. I had to raise mine to 38 psi to overcome a bit of a flexible sidewall.

We tow a travel trailer and they handle it just fine. P-metric size, not LT. Highly recommend.

Originally Posted by Newman88
From the tires you posted the Yokohama AT G015 is a great choice, we live in similar weather. They do great in sand,rain,wet grass and ok in mud.

This is what I ended up ordering.

Now I just have to wait for my camber adjustment bolts from Nissan to come in. Mind boggling that you would release a vehicle without the ability to adjust the front camber.
I"ve never had a vehicle where I had to buy the parts necessary to adjust the camber in stock form. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with Nissan cheapening out on something.

Back