Tire Pressure Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I age I find it harder to check tire pressure in these 17" wheels especially the front with disks almost as large as the wheel. Has anyone discovered a easy solution? I think a gauge with almost a reverse angle would work, I tried bending the brass end fitting on a gauge and only managed to snap it off.
Any ideas.
Smoky

Got a picture? That would help with suggestions. I have always use the pen-style pressure tester, which is angled near the end so the fitting is at 45°.

All our streetbikes are Sportbikes with very little clearance between the discs and the wheel. I use a tire pressure gauge which has a 45° angled chuck on the end of a hose which is about a foot long. I get in front of the front wheel, with the valve stem at about the 4 o'clock position as viewed from the right side (when seated on the bike) of the bike. With my right hand I feed the chuck in between the discs and wheel, and with my left fingers coming in from the other side of the wheel I press it onto the valve stem to get the reading. I use the same procedure to add air if needed. Works for me, and is easy enough that I've never had an issue.

Last edited:
Angle valve stems are the best solution for easy access in tight conditions...

[Linked Image from dealsanimg.com]

My RC45 angle valve stem circled in white...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I normally never check the tire pressure. Have cars that have the TPMS on them so only do it when it's low. Only time I hook up is with a tire inflator like this Ryobi. Has the pressure gauge right on it and it's easy to see.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256

You don't check your tire pressures on your motorcycles?

When i had a little GZ250, i checked the tire pressure every other day riding to work. If it sat a few days, i always checked it before a ride.

I often wondered, more so now, is there a "gold" standard in mechanical tire pressure gauges.
So many of them are cheaply made. I guess with a simple search I can find one that is calibrated to some named standard?

I still have a Sears Craftsmen from the 1970s that seems to be rock solid, round gauge with needle.
We also have a bunch of those "stick" gauges all of questionable quality including the Sears now that it is so old.
I guess I can just compare them all on the same tire but would be nice if there is some official standard that some gauges carry.

Last edited:
Honestly from my experience, those stick gauges that cost a couple bucks don't do a bad job. I have compared them to more "accurate", meaning more expensive gauges, also against the TPMS numbers on various vehicles and they are pretty much right there.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I normally never check the tire pressure. Have cars that have the TPMS on them so only do it when it's low. Only time I hook up is with a tire inflator like this Ryobi. Has the pressure gauge right on it and it's easy to see.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256

You don't check your tire pressures on your motorcycles?

I'm guessing he didn't catch that it is a motorcycle thread. My bike has a center stand so one thing I always do during the "pre-flight" in add'n to checking pressure is I turn each wheel one revolution and make sure there's nothing sticking in the tire, i.e. nails or other road debris. Inflation specs for my Guzzi, are same one-up or two-up: 36 psi front, 42 psi rear.

I use a stubby dial gauge like this, it clears the discs front and rear:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Slime-5-60-psi-Chrome-Dial-Gauge-20049/203351010

You can also get them with angled nozzles or flex hoses.

PSA - Motorcycle Tire Air Pressure

Check your tire pressure on your bike at LEAST 1x a week--preferably every time you ride (or every other day, etc.) with an ACCURATE gauge.

This is a Public Service Announcement.

I have one of those Milton dual head tire inflators with a built in gauge and it's a pain to to get to the schrader valve--with the valve at the 6 O'clock position, I have to bring the inflator down from above between the spokes to get an an angle to attach to the valve--a royal pain.

LoneRanger, good idea on the visual of the tires. Do you just lift up on one side of the forks (rock the bike back on the centerstand) to get the front wheel off the ground then spin the wheel with the other hand?

LoneRanger, good idea on the visual of the tires. Do you just lift up on one side of the forks (rock the bike back on the centerstand) to get the front wheel off the ground then spin the wheel with the other hand?

Yes. It's a very slight forward weight bias when on the center stand so it tips back easily. The rear is not in contact with the ground when on the center stand. 600lb bike.

Re: Tire inspection before every ride. That's great advice.

None of our bikes have a centerstand, but they do get put on front and rear stands to inspect the tires, chains, tire inflation pressure, and basically a once-over of the entire bike.

Honestly from my experience, those stick gauges that cost a couple bucks don't do a bad job. I have compared them to more "accurate", meaning more expensive gauges ...

Yeah, I agree.
Was just wondering about some "gold" standard types.
Think I found it. ANSA rated or something like that with a simple search.

"certified, & calibrated accurate within ANSI Standards (±1.5%) at our NIST accredited industrial facility"

But, yeah, do think its over kill as the stick gauges seem to be ok too, I have in the past compared 3 different gauges.

I bought a Joes racing tire gauge from Summit racing several years ago. 0-60 psi with a flexible hose, bleed valve, rubber encased dial, green glow in the dark face, and a 45 degree swivel head for about $25. It's been perfect and easy to use, even on spoked wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back