Tire leak with new wheels. What would YOU do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DT will fix flats for free. It doesn't matter whether you bought the tire there or not....Have a pro look at it.

What kind of wheel weights on in it? Years ago I had some aftermarket wheels exhibiting this same behavior. It turns out they were leaking by the clamp-on wheel weights (does anyone still use these?).

Originally Posted by kkreit01
DT will fix flats for free. It doesn't matter whether you bought the tire there or not....Have a pro look at it.

What kind of wheel weights on in it? Years ago I had some aftermarket wheels exhibiting this same behavior. It turns out they were leaking by the clamp-on wheel weights (does anyone still use these?).

Lots of cars still use clamp-on weights on the inside wheel lip where you can't see it, and stick-ons on the outside inner portion of the wheel.

Originally Posted by Cressida

I think my wife will not be happy if she sees me lugging a 16" mounted tire through the house headed toward the bathroom.

Maybe instead she'd be happier being the one putting air in the leaking tire for the next 50,000 miles.

A wheelbarrow or something works too.

The bead can be submerged a portion at a time by laying the tire flat on the ground, filling the bead area with water, and then tilting the tire just a bit to have a portion of the bead area be the low spot and submerged while you look for bubbles in that spot.

Or just add air to it once a month, and if the leak gets worse (probably nine months from now during winter) then do an actual fix.

If the OP doesn't have a bead breaker or wouldn't want to patch a nail puncture himself, etc, then figuring out where it's leaking from is kind of a moot point because his two choices then are either live with it or bring it to a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back