Timing belt job - 2015 Chevy Sonic

This will come up in a year or so . The water pump is driven by the serpentine belt , so will not be part of the project .

Less than $ 20 price difference between Gates and AC Delco . Chances are , it will end up being the Delco .

Any advice ?

They are the same. Delco repackages Gates belts - but the rollers/tensioners can be Chinese parts, caveat emptor.

The Subaru guys swore by the Gates TCK kits, until they made a rolling change from Japanese NTN pulleys/tensioner to Chinese ones.

This will come up in a year or so . The water pump is driven by the serpentine belt , so will not be part of the project .

Less than $ 20 price difference between Gates and AC Delco . Chances are , it will end up being the Delco .

Any advice ?

The ACDELCO TCK338 is all OE parts. It is the safest bet IMO.

My only concern with something like that from Rockauto is how old it is. They tend to have some pretty old stuff and timing belt isn't something you want that isn't pretty fresh. While I do love Rockauto for many parts that I have gotten, I have gotten some that were as old as the car. And my cars are pretty old haha.

The Delco kit and the Gates kit are the same. Delco/GM do not offer a timing kit in the OE service line. Note that the Delco kit is listed as the Professional line which is an aftermarket line. Delco Professional belts/hoses/water pumps and caps are reboxed Gates. To get the OE service parts you have to buy the 3 pieces individually in the Delco OE Service line

The Delco kit and the Gates kit are the same. Delco/GM do not offer a timing kit in the OE service line. Note that the Delco kit is listed as the Professional line which is an aftermarket line. Delco Professional belts/hoses/water pumps and caps are reboxed Gates. To get the OE service parts you have to buy the 3 pieces individually in the Delco OE Service line

GM needs to offer an AC Delco GM Original Equipment timing belt kit with the actual OE parts. Ford needs to do the same with Motorcraft.
To be fair, it's possible that Gates is the OE supplier,

At least with Japanese cars, you can get the Aisin kit that has all the OE parts.

For the Sonic, my choice would be the Continental kit

no its not, its reboxed Gates

Where are you getting your information? A picture tells a thousand words.

acd.jpg

Edit: Added link, this is the same as on Rock. Gates may rebox this kit and label it as Gates, it may or may not have the same OE bearings.
I suspect both are made in China which is normal today for many OE parts.

Last edited:
Where are you getting your information? A picture tells a thousand words.

View attachment 26603
Edit: Added link, this is the same as on Rock. Gates may rebox this kit and label it as Gates, it may or may not have the same OE bearings.
I suspect both are made in China which is normal today for many OE parts.

Im going from personal experience on this. That picture is a Gates picture. Gates used to advertise that their kits used a Gates belt and pump and OE idlers and tensioners.
1597000900382.png

The Picture of the Gates kit from NAPA is the same. The key to remember is that that kit is Delco Professional. Delco Professional is never an OE part, its aftermarket parts. From AC Delco's website

ACDELCO GOLD
Formerly referred to as our “Professional” line, ACDelco Gold parts are the high-quality alternative to OE parts, manufactured to meet GM expectations for fit, form, and function and backed by General Motors. https://www.acdelco.com/global-parts-branding

No matter, neither Gates or Delco are manufacturing these pieces and probably never did, they are buying them from a supplier. Chances are they are the OE supplier and that is why neither of them can be sued for false advertising.
AFAIK Gates manufacturers nothing other than belts and hoses. I like gates hoses and belts but the rest of the stuff they sell is generally not the best quality, mostly reboxed products.
The point is Delco is certainly not buying from Chinese produced goods from Gates, that would make Gates a middle man.

Back