Time to Dump or Repair?

Originally Posted by GMFan

Hopefully I can find the part I need. Tempted to POR15 it all before it is installed.

That wouldn't be a bad idea, then if there is access internally coat it with internal frame coating (might not be a bad idea to do the front too if possible) maybe even chassis wax after its put in (the shop will hate you if you do it first).

BTW the list price of that subframe is ~2700 which is nuts.

If you can get it fixed for less than $1500 I would do it; doesn't look like there is rust anywhere else. If more than that, IMO a 140K mile Mazda isn't worth it.

Originally Posted by GMFan
Update. I took my car in to a local independent shop and they will work with me to find a rust free junkyard subframe and install it for $670.
Hopefully I can find the part I need. Tempted to POR15 it all before it is installed.

Good idea to put a few coats of rust proofing on before install. Periodically recoat it since it's rust prone.

Found a local junk yard that has a few Mazda6 of my generation. $125 for part. They are going to pull the best looking subframe for me that they have. They are shipping to the local shop for $15.

For $810 I couldn't dump the car.

Will update once the subframe is in.

Pics of junk yard rear sub frame installed

Pics of POR15 applied to frame (before new rear subframe)

I'll likely POR15 the new rear subframe when I have a chance to avoid future rust. POR15 is neat stuff (but messy). I ended up "wearing" it for a few days. The pics show it still wet/tacky but it dries to a hard enamel. I did 2 coats. I didn't bother POR15 the old rear sub frame when I was at it since it needed to go, so I just did everything else that was staying. Naturally the only Saturday I had available to work on the car it was 95 degrees outside. That was fun...

I may need some new bump stops on my rear springs. :D

Old rear sub frame
More pics of Old rear sub frame
Old rear sub frame at towers

The shop also installed new sway bar links. The work was done by a local Meineke.

$545.95 labor
$119.92 sway bar link kit
$89.99 alignment
$19.99 oil
$6.99 jobber oil filter
$10 tire rotation
$56.14 tax
-----
$887.89

+ $149.95 local junk yard rear sub frame I sourced (includes $15 delivery fee to local shop)

-----------
$ 1,037.84

Not too bad compared to buying a $6,000 used car with questionable history!

Last edited:
So, you treated the existing area the new subframe was attaching to, but DIDN’T treat the new subframe, which is what rusted out?

Why would you not treat the new subframe when it was off before it got installed???

Now if you want to treat it, you have to do it on the vehicle, which is harder. I don’t understand why you made extra work for yourself?

So, you treated the existing area the new subframe was attaching to, but DIDN’T treat the new subframe, which is what rusted out?

Why would you not treat the new subframe when it was off before it got installed???

Now if you want to treat it, you have to do it on the vehicle, which is harder. I don’t understand why you made extra work for yourself?

I wanted to treat prior to install but didn’t have time and I needed my car back on the road for work. Also the junk yard wouldn’t deliver to residential - only commercial address so I couldn’t work logistics out of picking up the frame from the shop and bringing it back especially with their shortened hours due to pandemic. I’ll just have to POR15 it on the car.

Back