Time to ditch Speedplays

Loved the Zero's float, but Speedplay is too maintenance intensive....

Constant lube of the cleat spring with dry lube (usually Finish-line dry lube).
Pushing new grease (Supertech marine) through the needle bearings is a messy job, not hard to do, just messy.
And.. if you walk a on little dirt, good lucky clipping in again.

So... since I don't like Look Keo's road pedals (had the Classic before going to Speedplay)... it's mountain bike pedals on my road bike (the horror)...

Wanted the new Shimano PD-ME700, but the LBS can't order them (it's a new product from Shimano, just released about a month ago)... so it went with its predecessor, PD-M530.

So why not 4-side entry of Crank Brothers? I had the Candy's on my mountain bike, but the brass cleats wear too quickly.

So, when the pedals come in, will have to get the bike fit slightly adjusted, since the stack height is different from Speedplay to the Shimano.

Never tried the lollipops but like how much interface they have with the shoe. Ran Look but didn't like the big cleat, went to Ritchey road pedals for quite a while, then sold the road bikes.

Remembering when 3mm of pedal thickness was a concern....when I was serious and much younger! Hammer on.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm a big time fan. I like the float the pedal has. In a testament to their durability I have not purchased pedals in around 8 years

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I'm a big time fan. I like the float the pedal has. In a testament to their durability I have not purchased pedals in around 8 years

I do have about a decade on my speedplay pedals

I like Crank Brothers. They have a lot of float, choice of two floats, and all their pedals are compatible with both Road and MTB shoes, the only difference is the cleat connection to the shoe.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I like Crank Brothers. They have a lot of float, choice of two floats, and all their pedals are compatible with both Road and MTB shoes, the only difference is the cleat connection to the shoe.

6 degrees of float isn't a lot of float. Their original brass cleat gives you a choice of 2 release angles (15 or 20 degrees), depending on how you install them. But now if you want a 15 degree release and/or no float, you have to buy a different cleat.

No, the crank brothers's SPD cleat are not compatible with my road shoes (as my road shoes only have the Look pattern), unless I buy their road shoe adapter, which only comes with their old style cleat (6 degrees float and 15/20 degree release angle)

Speedplay zero and ultra light actions have more than double the float, 15 degrees, which on the Zero's is adjustable from no float to 15 degrees.

I'm also a fan of CB. I used to wear the cleats out quickly as well but that ended when I switched to Mallets.

Loved the Zero's float, but Speedplay is too maintenance intensive....

Constant lube of the cleat spring with dry lube (usually Finish-line dry lube).
Pushing new grease (Supertech marine) through the needle bearings is a messy job, not hard to do, just messy.
And.. if you walk a on little dirt, good lucky clipping in again.

So... since I don't like Look Keo's road pedals (had the Classic before going to Speedplay)... it's mountain bike pedals on my road bike (the horror)...

Wanted the new Shimano PD-ME700, but the LBS can't order them (it's a new product from Shimano, just released about a month ago)... so it went with its predecessor, PD-M530.

So why not 4-side entry of Crank Brothers? I had the Candy's on my mountain bike, but the brass cleats wear too quickly.

So, when the pedals come in, will have to get the bike fit slightly adjusted, since the stack height is different from Speedplay to the Shimano.

What dry lube were you using? I've never had an issue with my Speedplays not clipping in and that includes rides on gravel/dirt paths.
I was using White Lightning which dries very dry and tends to fill in gaps with wax that will stop dirt getting in. If you're using something that's supposed to leave a dry film that might be your problem?

I'm still a fan of them.

I would post "The Rules" but I don't think rule #5 is in accordance with the TOS here.

I run MTB pedals and shoes because I have wide feet and want to be able to walk when I get to the cafe. Just an added bonus that I can use the same shoes in a spin class at the Y

If the Shimano's don't work out try one of these
https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/time-sport-mtb-time-pedals/cross-country-cyclocross.html

BTW I use mtb pedals on my road bike as well
smile.gif
Also my kit does not match, my water bottle is huge, my bike isn't CF and my helmet has a visor LOL

[Linked Image]

I went back to SPDs on my bikes. I liked my SPD-SLs but pure road shoes are a hazard to walk in and I enjoy my cafe/bakery/taproom apres-velo stops. I have the older version of these on my bikes: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-xt-m8100/PD-M8100.html

Shimano pedals aren't a cinch to lube up like Speedplays are - but if you have the proper tool and access to a vise to loosen the pedal axles it's a easy job of cleaning out the old grease, filling the bearing cavity with fresh grease and installing the spindle/bearing assembly - as its installed new grease is forced in.

I’m a fan of speed play, for the float and the ability to lube them... for me the float is the primary benefit. And mine have lasted years so I have no reason to change. I had started out with spd and probably would never had changed if I only rode less than maybe 5 miles. But for me going over 10 or so miles got slightly irritating, and do something like 40, and I started to feel like I could run the risk of damaging my knee. Speed play solved that.

I m sticking to old fashion bike riding, watching things goes by and enjoying the simple side of riding,,imho

I m sticking to old fashion bike riding, watching things goes by and enjoying the simple side of riding,,imho

funny thing about this comment: I recently rode bike without clipless pedals. With all of the gadgets--electronic shifting, power meters, carbon frames, etc.. If there was one thing I would NOT want to give up, it's clipless pedals. I would actually feel safer riding without a helmet than without being clipped in.

Once you get used to it, there is a certain sense of security that occurs being clipped in that's hard to beat.

r.e. speedplays and the OP's comment. Everyone I know who's ridden them (including me) has gone down the same road:
-these are awesome!
-hmm..I'm spending a lot of money on cleats and rebuilt kits
-hmmm....I keep releasing unintentionally in a sprint, and my cleats are only 4 months old..

Life is too short to deal with that nonsense. Float is, IMO, a band aid for poor bike fit and cleat placement. Get your set-up dialed and use a reliable pedal system. I'm using Shimano road and mountain, and I haven't thought about my pedals in decades just the way it should be.

Get your set-up dialed and use a reliable pedal system. I'm using Shimano road and mountain, and I haven't thought about my pedals in decades just the way it should be.

Everybody's bone structure is somewhat different. Dialed in (professionally) for me still was a challenge on my right knee. A small spacer and the speedplays made all the difference in the world.

Everybody's bone structure is somewhat different. Dialed in (professionally) for me still was a challenge on my right knee. A small spacer and the speedplays made all the difference in the world.
+1 on the fitting done by someone who knows what they are doing. A few millimeters in setup can make a huge difference. I was amazed at how much better I felt ridding after my bike was dialed in.

funny thing about this comment: I recently rode bike without clipless pedals. With all of the gadgets--electronic shifting, power meters, carbon frames, etc.. If there was one thing I would NOT want to give up, it's clipless pedals. I would actually feel safer riding without a helmet than without being clipped in.

Once you get used to it, there is a certain sense of security that occurs being clipped in that's hard to beat.

r.e. speedplays and the OP's comment. Everyone I know who's ridden them (including me) has gone down the same road:
-these are awesome!
-hmm..I'm spending a lot of money on cleats and rebuilt kits
-hmmm....I keep releasing unintentionally in a sprint, and my cleats are only 4 months old..

Life is too short to deal with that nonsense. Float is, IMO, a band aid for poor bike fit and cleat placement. Get your set-up dialed and use a reliable pedal system. I'm using Shimano road and mountain, and I haven't thought about my pedals in decades just the way it should be.
Before Speedplay introduced their walkable cleats, there is some called Keep-on-Kovers. It's in expensive and go over the cleat, so you can walk on them without worrying about grinding down the screw heads.

I never accidentally unclipped during a sprint with them, Look Keo's (classic), yes.

Float isn't a substitute for poor fit. People like to think zero float gives you more power to the crank, but a small percentage of people's biomechanics can take advantage of zero float, otherwise you risk injury and produce less power fighting against your joints

Back