Time for a new phone! Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2-year old Kyocera Duraforce Plus has become about as much as an inconvenience as my pancreas (I'm T1D) and I need to replace it asap.

The charging port is shorted out and will not charge unless the cable is held in THAT ONE SPECIFIC SPOT and the headphone jack is messed up and it'll think I'm pressing my mic button when I'm not touching anything.

The Bluetooth and Wi-Fi both no longer work properly. The Bluetooth will play fine in my car for maybe a minute then it'll skip like a scratched up CD every few seconds. The Wi-Fi connection only works when it wants to and will drop/disconnect randomly whether it be at work, school or home network.

I want to just step up to the Duraforce Pro 2 because I like the fact this phone has some "thickness" to it and is basically it's own OtterBox in the rugged sense. Despite the fact it being USB-C means I'll have to buy all new cables again, I am fine with that since it's somewhat standard anymore.

Only thing is, I cannot find anything that confirms or denies the phone having an actual 3.5mm jack. I'd rather not have to deal with a dongle to listen to music.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
You have a two year old phone and pretty much everything on it is broken, and you want to stay with the same brand?

I'm scratching my head too.

Good deals on the Google Pixel 3/3 XL to be had right now.

CAT (the construction company) has a tough phone that's been out for a couple years now. It's basically a Galaxy 8 Active would have been plus a step up in ruggedness.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
You have a two year old phone and pretty much everything on it is broken, and you want to stay with the same brand?

I'm scratching my head too.

Good deals on the Google Pixel 3/3 XL to be had right now.

Highly recommend these Pixels

Only the pixel 3A has the headphone jack. The higher end models don't have it since the original Pixel (which I have).

Why don't you just get the pixel 3a (or a used OnePlus 6 (last one of theirs to have a headphone jack) and buy a good case for it?

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6

Only thing is, I cannot find anything that confirms or denies the phone having an actual 3.5mm jack. I'd rather not have to deal with a dongle to listen to music.

These sites are showing that it does have a 3.5mm headphone jack, the last link even has a picture of it.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Kyocera-DuraForce-Pro-2_id11054

https://m.gsmarena.com/kyocera_duraforce_pro_2-9407.php

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/kyocera-duraforce-pro-2-rugged-smartphone-review/46483/

OP, you said your a T1D which I assume means type 1 diabetes. She takes shots because she doesn't want to be on a pump.

I'm rocking an essential phone and love everything about it except that my signal strength in historically low signal areas is worse than with previous phones.
In normal signal areas it works great, I routinely pull down 200mbs in my home speed test.
$120 used off ebay

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FADEC
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Huawei only word you need to know ... click

Pretty much any of their products - Click

Built with Apple Type Quality at any price.

Alarm guy...I am also on cricket wireless and I'm considering getting one of these Honor 8X phones. Can you tell me does the phone operate on the LTE bands on Cricket?? If it does will probably get one. Thanks

All I can tell you is we have used Huawei Mate SE on three lines with Cricket and never an issue and never will be.
Cricket is ATT, all modern GSM phones work with LTE on the ATT GSM network. We have since switched to Redpocket cell service which is, again, ATT, have same phones, no issues and never will be.
Its all just ATT LTE service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
iPhone X is a let down. Not worth the $$

I find just the opposite. What do you feel is wrong with the X?

I'm simply amazed my XS+ can run ForeFlight, while attached to an external AHRS and display aircraft attitude information, all while receiving LTE weather or internet data and making a phone call. It really is that good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brybo86
I'm rocking an essential phone and love everything about it except that my signal strength in historically low signal areas is worse than with previous phones.
In normal signal areas it works great, I routinely pull down 200mbs in my home speed test.
$120 used off ebay

I almost bought a used Essential phone before I bought my used Pixel XL but the guy never replied to my message. From everything I read they are much better than they were at launch, and have very good stock Android like on a pixel or OnePlus phone.

My previous phone was a OnePlus 5 I bought new and used for 2 years and then jumped in the ocean forgetting it was in my pocket (salt water kills).

I got a Samsung Galaxy s8 used right after that happened (water resistant) but I ended up wanting to go back to stock Android after a couple of weeks. I sold it and bought the pixel.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
iPhone X is a let down. Not worth the $$

I find just the opposite. What do you feel is wrong with the X?

I'm simply amazed my XS+ can run ForeFlight, while attached to an external AHRS and display aircraft attitude information, all while receiving LTE weather or internet data and making a phone call. It really is that good.

Some people are related to boast about their $200 budget or dated tech phone while others are simple happy with their $700-$1500 iPhones and stay mum. I don't find phones that expensive even at high end but that is personal and it seems like there is a lot of choice out there.

LG V40

I have had one for about a year now and have been very happy with it. Functionality is terrific and simple. It has 5 cameras and they work well. Quad Dac and DTS 3D sound make listening to anything over headphones or Bluetooth of great quality with a wide range of customization. Also this thing charges up so quickly!

I know that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy are always the "sexy" phone choices but in my experience LG tends to consistently make excellent products that are of high quality and easy to use.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
LG V40

I have had one for about a year now and have been very happy with it. Functionality is terrific and simple. It has 5 cameras and they work well. Quad Dac and DTS 3D sound make listening to anything over headphones or Bluetooth of great quality with a wide range of customization. Also this thing charges up so quickly!

I know that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy are always the "sexy" phone choices but in my experience LG tends to consistently make excellent products that are of high quality and easy to use.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I went from Samsung to LG and regretted it. Sprint and Verizon's G4 had the boot loop issues with the G4, then the G5 had issues with the GPS, then my current G6's USB-C and aux port are complete garbage and the vibration hasn't worked since week 3 of owning the phone. Isn't there another LG phone with black/bleed-through issues on their screen too? Last time I'm using LG for phones.

I have a Huawei Mate with a Cricket plan and no issues with the LTE access. It's a good quality phone and despite my initial fears of it being banned and bricked by Google and Cricket in August, it looks like Trump has backed down for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back