Tile (drainage) advice

The wife and I are in the process of cleaning up our pond. Just had it dredged (ornamental cattail and muck removal) and are wanting to make the beach nicer.

It has a terrible erosion issue on it’s left most side because of how the yard is shaped. We (she) are wanting to do a border around the whole beach (30x15ish) so I figured the border would be a good area for a French drain. Laying the tile, cloth, and putting gravel down seems pretty straight forward, but how would I incorporate the end of the tile at the pond? I’m planning on stopping about 1’ above the highest possible waterline. Pond is very low now, but becomes full in the spring.

Should I put a drain cover (atrium grate; raised style) on the end and just back fill the area with large pieces of crushed limestone? Planning on putting landscape cloth down in the area as well to prevent sand intrusion.

Here’s a photo of the issue. Hard to tell, but the wash out area starts straight up the beach and just runs to the left. I’d cut the trench straight up where the graded sand meets the rough. Then there’s a photo of our progress.

Attachments

• 101E2E7E-1A3B-4BB7-AA1D-668CDB8FEF32.jpeg
    101E2E7E-1A3B-4BB7-AA1D-668CDB8FEF32.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 141094DB-104D-4D99-A56D-2918DE115F9D.jpeg
    141094DB-104D-4D99-A56D-2918DE115F9D.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 48
I have a drain tile for my one acre pond set at strategic point on the bank. It is behind large stones to keep solids and fish from exiting through the tile. It is to keep the pond from overflowing its banks primarily in the spring. It drains to a low point on the property (watershed). It only trickles water during the spring. I am not sure a french drain is best as it requires maintenance every 7-10 years. From what I understand, a french drain mostly is intended to take surface water and bring it down about 4 feet below the surface like in a yard. You usually do not see anything with a french drain as it is totally underground, covered by a couple feet of gravel then top dressed and out of sight and resembles several tiles laid parallel to each other about 10-15 feet apart and coupled together like an "H" pattern. Most don't drain anywhere but can be made to do so. You might want to consult with your city engineer who might be able to offer some suggestions. To solve an errosion issue on a couple areas consisting of steep banks, I dug the banks out and burried cinder blocks which solved the problem.

Last edited:
I’ll check out other alternatives. Didn’t realize they required maintenance either.

Back