Throwing in the towel on local clothing retailers

Maybe some of you have this problem, but basically I am the exact same size as 99% of the people who live and shop in my area, and for that reason I can never find my size when I go shopping locally. The retailers surely MUST realize that size L shirts or 34x32 pants are always sold out and therefore should stock more of those sizes (and less 28x24 pants or size XS shirts) but it never happens. Yeah they're always willing to order your size for you, but then you have to make a return trip when you could just order online shipped to your front porch over the internet.

On top of that these stores only have so much floor space so they never seem to carry the styles or brands I prefer to buy. I usually check the retailer/brand websites before I go to the local stores since I DO want to give my business locally but the formula never works out.

So I'm throwing in the towel. Why waste the gas and time to try and be a good local patron when the stores are incapable of analyzing their inventory trends?

I'm a 34x32 also, I know what you mean. I pretty much just wear Wrangler pants/shorts in that size, they fit me well. My wife always checks for them when she's out shopping. I can go between a large and extra large shirt, I like a looser fit in shirts.

I'm a 32 X30 I'll tell you it isn't very often Costco has my size mostly have XL and XXL. There must be a lot of people out there in need of hitting the gym.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm a 32 X30 I'll tell you it isn't very often Costco has my size mostly have XL and XXL. There must be a lot of people out there in need of hitting the gym.

Years of hitting the food court and every free sample.
crazy2.gif

I bought some tailored fit dress shirts online at Costco and they are still massive on me. The Costco demographic must be a bit more plump in the midsection. I'm 6'4" 220 and these things are giant. I can only imagine how big the regular fit shirts would be. They are dirt cheap though so I make them work.

I hear you in the common sizes being out of stock locally. Never any jeans that fit in stock in my length. Short and fat people and short and very skinny have an abundance to choose from.

Last edited:
I'm glad (or sad?) to see that the inventory problem is not just in my town.
smile.gif

When the clothes stores go out of business, they can't say we didn't try to help them out.

I gave up on retail stores clothing selections years ago. The styles are horrible
sick.gif
for shirts and pants that us gym guys need so online shopping is the best way to get clothes for me.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

That is my size as well and more often than not that size is sold out.

My related pet peeve is not with stores, but with athletic (specifically bike) events that include T-shirts. For some reason, whoever orders the shirts apparently assumes that the relevant demographic is as fat as average American couch potatoes, with the result that there are too many "L" and far too many "XXL" shirts, and not enough "M" or "S."

Last edited:
I also am 34x32 and always wear Wranglers. Just order online from Walmart. Never a problem getting them.

Reddy45 I totally agree with you. I am about the same size and it's difficult to find anything locally. The stores in the malls look like they are about half out of business. I do like outlet malls and wish there were more of them in my area. The closet outlet mall is about 3 hours away but well worth the drive.

worse yet is if you need tall man t shirts ive been searching the net for some lighter weight t shirts that have longer torso than the regular size, I can use a large tall(tough to find) or XL tall depending on the maker brand some come in like a circus tent, mostly been using Fruit of the loom xl tall v neck white tees since they are very light weight and comfy with extended length is all I can find

Check out the Costco Kirkland Tee's they are a well made shirt and are cut longer.

I have the same problem...and nobody stocks "tall" sizes. Also for shoes, though the situation for wide widths has improved a lot in the last 10 years.

My wife has a hard time finding clothes...she's tall (5'8") and everything is too short. My mother (5') has the opposite problem. I work with someone who can't buy clothes anywhere. His only suit had to be custom MADE for him. He was married in jump boots because dress shoes in his size did not exist.

And strangely...I can't fine bath towels. Three stores this weekend, all TOTALLY bare shelves. WEIRD.

if you think it's any easier for us tubbos, it surely isn't.... especially if you need pants with an inseam UNDER 30"... my actual measured inseam is around 26"... (5'9" - long Torso, short legs) add that to my 50" waist...
and now up to 4XL shirt size...

and here i thought Americans were, on the average, getting Fatter, like me, but, i still have to hunt for clothes.
I have to try on every pair of pants, b/c there can be a wide variance in a singe size. one will fit fine, the second can't be buttoned...

I've said for years, there's enough "Big and Tall" stores, around, I need a "Short and Fat" store....

You tall guys should try Eddie Bauer or Columbia for active wear. Both of those brands generally have a Tall version of their mens sizes. There's also Destination XL.

Originally Posted by earlyre
if you think it's any easier for us tubbos, it surely isn't.... especially if you need pants with an inseam UNDER 30"... my actual measured inseam is around 26"... (5'9" - long Torso, short legs) add that to my 50" waist...
and now up to 4XL shirt size...

and here i thought Americans were, on the average, getting Fatter, like me, but, i still have to hunt for clothes.
I have to try on every pair of pants, b/c there can be a wide variance in a singe size. one will fit fine, the second can't be buttoned...

I've said for years, there's enough "Big and Tall" stores, around, I need a "Short and Fat" store....

Found this for you:

Back