Thoughts... Tough Guard vs Extended Guard (9688)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
The new boxes list these attributes...

TG - 15K mile protection - $9.XX
EG - 10K mile protection - $5.XX (now with silicone ADBV)

TG - 99% efficiency (better media?)
EG - No longer lists efficiency numbers but used to say 95%

Question: is the 4% better efficient worth it to you to spend almost 50% more for the TG?

*full disclosure, i have a few of each in my stash.

To me it would all depend on how long your OCIs are, this is how I break them down when doing maintenance.
3-5K = EG
5-10K = TG
10K+ = FU

Last edited:
Originally Posted by volk06
To me it would all depend on how long your OCIs are, this is how I break them down when doing maintenance.
3-5K = EG
5-10K = TG
10K+ = FU

That sums it up pretty good.

Originally Posted by wemay

Question: is the 4% better efficient worth it to you to spend almost 50% more for the TG?

*full disclosure, i have a few of each in my stash.

You only buy 2x TG at $18.xx
for every 3x EG at $15.xx so it's even more of a narrow comparison.
How much is the Ultra for your application?

The Xtra Guard is $11.XX. but i'm not in need of it even though i have used them in the past because my OCI rarely exceed 4.5K miles. I might consider running the TG for two oci.

Just going by those numbers:
One filter lets 1% of the dirt through, the other lets 5%.
So it it worth it to you to spend almost 50% more for the TG, which lets 5X less dirt pass through?

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
... One filter lets 1% of the dirt through, the other lets 5%. ...
Yes, that's a less misleading way to phrase the numbers in such examples.

Approximate prices at Walmart the last time I checked for my cartridges size:
EG: $6.60
TG: $9 (only 36% more $)
XG: $11.
There's also the $3 SuperTech, which appears identical in construction to EG, but may use different media. It claims 99% efficiency for 30um.

I always wondered where exactly the Tough Guard is supposed to fit ...

Is it really better than a regular Extra Guard ? Similar construction, filter media seems SLIGHTLY better, but if you really want a premium filter, for only a couple of dollars more that Ultra is usually sitting right beside it.

However, many years ago I took a marketing course, and it seems that companies know that the average consumer will often step up one level from the bottom tier, so as not to feel cheap. The Tough Guard costs very little extra to build, but sells for a few dollars more. If people buy it, good for Fram.

Does the 3593a interest you? Should be priced like most of the other EG's.

Same physical size of the 9688.

... because my OCI rarely exceed 4.5K miles. I might consider running the TG for two oci.

There it is....OCI $8.99 instead of $11.98 plus better filtration. Done.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Does the 3593a interest you? Should be priced like most of the other EG's.

Same physical size of the 9688.

The 9688 is the one recommended for the two vehicles in my sig.

Originally Posted by geeman789
I always wondered where exactly the Tough Guard is supposed to fit ...

Is it really better than a regular Extra Guard ? Similar construction, filter media seems SLIGHTLY better, but if you really want a premium filter, for only a couple of dollars more that Ultra is usually sitting right beside it.

However, many years ago I took a marketing course, and it seems that companies know that the average consumer will often step up one level from the bottom tier, so as not to feel cheap. The Tough Guard costs very little extra to build, but sells for a few dollars more. If people buy it, good for Fram.

The TG is higher efficiency than the EG. The TG is 99% @ 20um and the EG is 95% @ 20um.

The TG and XG are basically the same efficiency (99% vs 99+% ... hair splitting). The difference is the XG is rated for longer use. The XG holds more debris and can therefore take a longer change interval. So the TG fits the high efficiency filter, but for shorter use. Of course, as some do here, the XG can be ran for 2x OCIs which would end up being cheaper than running two TGs.

Fram shows the EG efficiency to be 95% @ => 20um as before. Click on the "Media" bar on Fram's website.

Originally Posted by JLTD
... because my OCI rarely exceed 4.5K miles. I might consider running the TG for two oci.

There it is....OCI
The new TGs are rated to 15K, not 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back