Thought This May Interest BITOG Members

So is this the same Techron you buy off the shelf, or is it a more concentrated solution? Is this to reach EPA minimum or is this the blend rate for Chevron top tier fuel?

This chart can be misleading for those not familiar with the process, so here goes.

As was later explained this chart is only for Chevron gas, and yes it's top tier.
This chart was designed for when there was a rack failure, or the pumps on the additive tank would stop working. It was to be used as a guide for HAND ADDITIZING LOADS or in ground tanks. There is never, under normal circumstances anybody sitting around with quarts of Techron pouring it into trucks. It's all computer controlled. This is also why the chart goes to 10 or 11,000 gallons. That's a station tank size.
This is concentrated material. You CANNOT buy this in a store. The word CONCENTRATE can mean many things. Concentrated compared to what?

Warning: Do NOT TRY TO DO THIS AT HOME! I know a guy that blew a Northstar engine doing just that.

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Originally Posted by pbm
I would assume that they (Kinder-Morgan) are delivering the gasoline to various gas station brands?
Does this mean that they all use Chevron (techron) additive regardless of brand?

This sheet is ONLY for Chevron gasoline.

That's good to know.
Years ago I remember Exxon being delivered in an Exxon truck....Shell in a Shell truck....Sunoco in a Sunoco truck etc....nowadays they all seem to be delivered in
the same trucks....It's made me wonder are they all selling the same gas?

No, it's not all the same. Here you go...
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...6791/fuel-tanker-driver-here#Post5166791

Originally Posted by JohnG
So is this the same Techron you buy off the shelf, or is it a more concentrated solution? Is this to reach EPA minimum or is this the blend rate for Chevron top tier fuel?

This chart can be misleading for those not familiar with the process, so here goes.

As was later explained this chart is only for Chevron gas, and yes it's top tier.
This chart was designed for when there was a rack failure, or the pumps on the additive tank would stop working. It was to be used as a guide for HAND ADDITIZING LOADS or in ground tanks. There is never, under normal circumstances anybody sitting around with quarts of Techron pouring it into trucks. It's all computer controlled. This is also why the chart goes to 10 or 11,000 gallons. That's a station tank size.
This is concentrated material. You CANNOT buy this in a store. The word CONCENTRATE can mean many things. Concentrated compared to what?

Warning: Do NOT TRY TO DO THIS AT HOME! I know a guy that blew a Northstar engine doing just that.

It's concentrated relative to the normal amount. But even in a "concentrate" the majority of the liquid is going to be solvent.

I'm still not sure what adding it to a small delivery would be like. Is there really going to be anything like a 50 gallon delivery?

Originally Posted by JohnG

The guy blew a Northstar engine because he tried to start it. Or the wind changed directions. Or you forgot to put the toilet seat down.

thanks golddot40 for posting this!!
thumbsup2.gif
very cool to know how all this really works!

Originally Posted by researcher
thanks golddot40 for posting this!!
thumbsup2.gif
very cool to know how all this really works!

I don't think it's supposed to be normally working this way. The way it normally works is that a specific amount is metered for the precise amount of fuel delivered. For instance, I would think the equipment could precisely meter for (let's say) 1.35 quarts of additive for X amount of fuel, but then 2.70 quarts of additive for 2X amount of fuel. They're certainly not going to ask for a manual drop of additive where they're asking someone to carefully measure the additive amount and then put it back in the bottle. Dumping the whole bottle makes it easier.

This seems to be tailored towards meeting a minimum concentration, where the concentration may vary depending on the delivery type. However, it does seem to indicate that the minimum concentration for premium is higher than for other grades.

It doesn't normally work that way. There is no way you could create a legitimate BOL doing that. If we have a doubt that the additive wasn't added to the load properly it is pumped back and reloaded properly. Most likely the chart was still hanging around from years ago. The bean counters would notice the error in the additive inventory also. It is not going to be overdosed just in case.

Last edited:
Obtained this directly from the Kinder-Morgan facility where we load fuel. Techron additive injection rate as it gets loaded...

[Linked Image]
This is still not the FULLY concentrated stuff. Most likely for hand additizing as I've posted before. Tankers typically load at a rate of 250 - 350 GPM. For a QUART of additive to be injected in under a minute, it would need to be running continuously into the loading arm. (It doesn't)
Considering that most injector lines are 1/4" ID stainless tubing that would be quite an accomplishment.

During loading, additive pulses into the arm about once every 15-20 seconds, through that 1/4" tubing, so we would be talking a few ounces per injection pulse.

Also consider that the bulk tanks and pumps are usually 100's of feet away from the loading rack. The additive manifold piping is likely 1" I.D. steel, but to support several loading arms at once, the pressures would need to be VERY high. Injector pumps are generally very small PD pumps with regulators set to about 120 or so PSI. The injection itself is solenoid controlled, and continuously metered in order to be self corrected on the fly by computer.

There are a lot of other factors that enter into the system, like low flow startup of the gasoline flow into the tanker, loading arm flushing in case the next guy is getting a diffent additive, etc. It's very complicated, and all computer controlled.

Back