This is why we don't buy Alternators at O'Reillys...

Am going on my third one in 5.5 years their "Optima" brand.

First replacement installed 5.5 years ago, 82k miles ago.

It failed 18 months later after 15k miles. Replaced under warranty.

It failed 4 years later after 67k miles.

What I'll do now is buy a good voltage regulator from Romaine Electric, install that in the new unit, and just toss the junk new one out so I don't have to go through this again. It's the junk VRs in them that keep failing. I wanted to rebuild the original myself when it first failed, but she wanted the car running the next day and I agreed to get an auto parts store one vs doing it myself or an electric shop. Ugh...

I stopped buying the store brand remans years ago, and switched over to paying the price for the Motorcraft units for replacement (my fleet is all Ford and has been for many years now). Magically never needed to do another replacement.

Napa and O'reilly units had failures that required replacement under warranty. One unit twice...

the alternator on my f150 died about 5 years ago, it was my daily driver at the time. Put an autozone reman in (took less than 30 minutes). Daily drove the truck another 3 years and the last 2 it goes maybe 2k miles a year. Alternator still works fine.

Yeah I had a whoopty Doo alternator go bad in less than 12 miles... In my Nissan Sentra... Just about awesome.

Chain store remans have gone down the toilet in recent years, not that they were all that much better but most did have at least new bearings, brushes and sometimes regulators. Today you are lucky if they even replace the bearings, Denso does not unless they are shot.

Remanufacturing Process Includes:

1. Bearing - 100% tested to OEM specifications and repacked with premium OE-standard lubricant.
  2. Stator - Insulation tested to 600 volts.
  3. Rotor - Performance and insulation tested to 600 volts.
  4. Housing - Re-tapped to OEM specifications and damage-checked for heat warping, corrosion, or improper surface alignment.
  5. Hardware - 100% stripped and replated.
  6. Rectifier - Performance tested to 300 volts.
  7. Voltage Regulator - 100% voltage tested to OEM specification.
  8. Slip Ring - Re-machined to an average of 8 microns (20 micron run-out maximum), minimizing brush wear and abrasion.

This is absolute crap from the get go and they are all doing it this way. A growler and commutator hand lathe will do just as good a job as they do and you can replace the parts you want. Go brand name new or get a good low mile used one (My favorite option for big $$$ Euro alt and starter).

Chain store remans have gone down the toilet in recent years, not that they were all that much better but most did have at least new bearings, brushes and sometimes regulators. Today you are lucky if they even replace the bearings, Denso does not unless they are shot.

1. Bearing - 100% tested to OEM specifications and repacked with premium OE-standard lubricant.
  4. Housing - Re-tapped to OEM specifications and damage-checked for heat warping, corrosion, or improper surface alignment.
  8. Slip Ring - Re-machined to an average of 8 microns (20 micron run-out maximum), minimizing brush wear and abrasion.

This is absolute crap from the get go and they are all doing it this way. A growler and commutator hand lathe will do just as good a job as they do and you can replace the parts you want. Go brand name new or get a good low mile used one (My favorite option for big $$$ Euro alt and starter).

Hey Trav.... What do you think about the new alternator or starters available at AZ or Napa ??

I would not buy a reman if you gave me the money to do it. They are hot garbage like you said...

They don't even replace the bearings!

Making the argument that one parts store's reman alternators are better than another is foolish, as the only difference between them is the name on the box. They mostly all come from the same factories in Mexico. Lowest bidder wins.

If I need a replacement alternator, I shop Rockauto for something close to OEM quality and if the price is too high (I'm generally okay with
I just helped a buddy put in his 3rd O'Reilly alternator in his '94 Explorer, all replaced within the first year. O'Reilly's won't extend the warranty, after that year is up, doesn't matter if you've had the warranty replacement for a day, you're on your own.

Reactions: GON
Hey Trav.... What do you think about the new alternator or starters available at AZ or Napa ??

I would not buy a reman if you gave me the money to do it. They are hot garbage like you said...

Better than the remans that's for sure. Delco, Remy, Bosch (brand names) should be all okay. Bosch are for many of the numbers they carry made in Hungary and are OE quality in every way for a third the dealer price.
I have bought stuff from LKQ whenI cant find it locally and paid a bit more for low mile parts but have got some very good and clean parts.

Ive got to the point of where I have started taking all my starters and alternators to the local ag shop that rebuilds them. For less than what you pay for a remaned one from the parts store you get a quality rebuild done.

Back