This forum badly needs to move to a modern platform/back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it the way it is. If you're a regular, you'll see if someone replied to your post. However, the notification would be ok if that's where the changes stopped. The Colorado Fans and 355 Nation sites have the notification feature. I wouldn't want to see a site overhaul.

When I subscribe to a thread, I always get notifications of new posts. If you aren't getting notifications, please check your email address in your profile, as many times the email is outdated.

How do you subscribe to a thread here ? I see "Subscriptions" under the username dropdown but within a thread, there's nothing. Do you mean follow ? If you did mean "follow", I don't get notified. I definitely don't want to be emailed about it, just give an indicator here somewhere.

I don't know what I was thinking bringing up change and new tech to a forum full for boomers and Gen X'ers who hate change and new tech. Lesson learned. People can moan all they want but this forum format is antiquated by today's standards and features, period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I don't know what I was thinking bringing up change and new tech to a forum full for boomers and Gen X'ers who hate change and new tech. Lesson learned. People can moan all they want but this forum format is antiquated by today's standards and features, period.

"Like"

^^ another (missing) feature that people get all posterior-hurt over
laugh.gif

I hate how they have changed other forums that I belong to. Keep Bitog the way it is. So easy.

You are the one moaning. A lot of people like the site , like it is. Did you offer to buy the software and new servers?

Originally Posted by spasm3

You are the one moaning. A lot of people like the site , like it is. Did you offer to buy the software and new servers?

Is the current site free to run? Because moving to a new format means you still pay for something, just different. I doubt Bob is hosting this site out of his garage on a Dell server. Servers are hosted and you simply stay with the same server host, just with a different back end. And yes, as someone who's passionate for technology and works in IT, I'd be happy to donate.

Originally Posted by wwillson
When I subscribe to a thread, I always get notifications of new posts. If you aren't getting notifications, please check your email address in your profile, as many times the email is outdated.

Do I really have to hit subscribe to every thread??? Can't I just be notified when I am quoted or mentioned like every other forum made in the last decade? Good lord my inbox would be atrocious if I subbed to all the threads I participated in. People say "NO, leave it the way it is" but guys can't figure out how to upload their UOA's half the time and posting a picture in a thread is a 9 step process

So many things antiquated by today's "standards" -- Men marrying Women come to mind. This --> Most BITOG's users seems to be fine the way it is. We just "badly need" the board to stay this way.

And go troll somewhere else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by walterjay
I hate how they have changed other forums that I belong to. Keep Bitog the way it is. So easy.

Yep, I think some of the other sites I belong to change software just because they're bored. Some of the newer software looks like crap IMO.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Did you offer to buy the software and new servers?

1) Very likely that the software is on a subscription model so when the term expires, you switch. Presuming the costs are the same, there's no add'l cost. If this software is cheaper, well, that alone says something.... I certainly hope it doesn't cost more !!

2) New servers ? This isn't 2003 where websites build a "server" and pay a facility to host it and provide an internet connection.

My only complaint, and one of my favorite features of other sites:

When I click on my control panel I want to see threads I've participated in or subscribed to that have NEW posts in them. I can's stand that I have to click on MY previous posts to see if someone else has posted after me. This wastes a bit of time and I'm sure I miss some responses to threads I haven't posted in for a long time.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

When I click on my control panel I want to see threads I've participated in or subscribed to that have NEW posts in them. I can's stand that I have to click on MY previous posts to see if someone else has posted after me. This wastes a bit of time and I'm sure I miss some responses to threads I haven't posted in for a long time.

YES THIS!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!!

I just looked up the back end of bitog and it's derived from a format from 1997!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool

YES THIS!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!!

Complaint I've had for a long time..... Or, if you click a link in the left-hand column of a thread you've participated in, it seems to "forget" that you've participated and takes you to the first post. Now, if you click the same thread in the thread list for the sub-forum, it behaves differently (works properly, usually).

I'm actually a paying member, even at only a monthly rate of $1. I'm happy to pay for the experience here but I wonder how much the owners need to make this site have the feature others have had for decades now.

Heck, I'd even promise to turn off my ad-blocker permanently for this site!

Personally I hate xenforo. Jeepcherokeeclub just upgraded to it.. and it looks like trash.

I do like the @rand type mentions notify me and some of the other new features.. but I barely visit that site now.
a couple times a week I'll hit my "alerts" and maybe new posts.. half of the new posts are threads from 2014 people replied recently to so pretty useless.

I would be a major fan of alerts,"mentions", and an integrated google search for the website (since the forum one is terrible)
but only if they could be added to the current forum software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back