Thinking of getting a cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening folks
smile.gif

I have been volunteering at my local humane society lately and thinking of getting a cat. Any tips, advice and suggestions are welcome. Thank You

You don't pick the cat, the cat picks you.

Does your Humane Society screen for proper pet ownership? They might ask a bunch of personal questions. Ours does.

LItter boxes suck.... and get a small carpet spot cleaner... but other than that, cats rule. I've heard the litter robot is a great litter box, but pricey.

I have taken care of 3 cats since the 90's. Best food I have found. BLUE brand Wilderness. The girls and one boy love it.

BLUE Wilderness

Favorite clumping litter is Dr Elsey's Ultra. Less dust. Clumps well.

Dr Elsey's Ultra

Each cat has it's own personality. Two are long hair which means vacuuming almost everyday day, knots in hair, and are higher maintenance. Short hair does not shed much.

Look for an Orange Tabby, very friendly and easy going cats. We have 5 cats, 3 black n whites, 1 black and 1 Orange Tabby who is the friendliest of all our cats. Use clumping litter and make sure you have multiple locations w water and dry food available. We feed wet food once a day in the evening and all 5 cats split 2 cans of food.

Clumping litter is good. Urine is a big ball. Get a short hair model, my wife was headed to the airport just when her long haired one got diarrea and I got to deal with that nightmare of a mess. Get a playful one if you can, they are fun. Wife's is kinda of a dud....sleeps a LOT. Oh, and get some some cheap blinds with the thick 2" solid slats. The flimsy ones don't last.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good Evening folks
smile.gif

I have been volunteering at my local humane society lately and thinking of getting a cat. Any tips, advice and suggestions are welcome. Thank You

Get a real Maine Coon Cat. They are not likely to be problematic, and make good friends, unlike so many other cats.

A quote from: 20 things men wished women understood:

17) Your cat is just like ever other cat, get rid of it.

Hence my suggestion for a more dog-like cat, one that gets along with everyone and will actually be your friend.

Last edited:
Usually had one or two in the house as a kid but my mother took care of them much of the time. Now, the lady across the street has 3 plus a dog. The friendier ones come over almost daily for a scratch or massage. If I get any mice in the house I'll be borrowing them for sure. Only advice is maybe get two so they keep each other company. Also entertaining to watch.

Neighbor walked his Maine Coon outside on a leash.
It seemed quite docile to me but I must add I didn't get to know it well.

I had a cat which was partially Burmese. She'd come when you'd call.
Her name was Anna-Lisa Underfoot.
She'd chirp except the time I stepped on her foot.

edit: Just read the part about "2 cats keeping themselves company". I believe that to be unproven.
Our pair of cats (brothers, litter-mates) had NOTHING to do with each other for 17 years.

If you like cats, get one! We have two (down from three, the old boy finally caught the dead) and they are great pets. These two are Himalayans which probably share a brain cell, but they are adorable and extremely friendly.

Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

I encourage getting two. I've had (4) over the years; at one time, there were (3) females in the house @ once for 9 months..... not a good scene, especially since one came in years after the other two.

We have had a few.
They didn't use litter boxes, they went outside when they needed to.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You don't pick the cat, the cat picks you.

Does your Humane Society screen for proper pet ownership? They might ask a bunch of personal questions. Ours does.

Same with most rescues for dogs it harder than adopting a real kid?

Last edited:
Cats are different than dogs. More independent thinking. Not pack animal. I prefer for cats to do their stuff outside. Or at least in warm weather. Obviously get the cat vet checked for all the possible conditions. I use a Soresto flea & tick collar on cat (and dog). Expensive but good for 8 months.

They can be finicky about food. Might not want the same food every day.

Get some Hill's dry dental food and give a 4 morsels a day to keep their teeth clean. More is not an issue, but a minimum of 4 a day said the vet. Having a cat's teeth cleaned by a vet is about $200.

We have 3, wouldn't trade them for the world. Muffin, Jinx, and Voodoo. Jinx and Voodoo are sisters.... went to get my wife a cat (her childhood cat passed away about a year ago), and Voodoo came up to me and fell asleep in my arms. We rescued the kittens from a Trap/Neuter/Release volunteer in our area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back