The Worst Muscle Cars Made. The Pinto was a M.C.?

The picture of the 1975 black Buick Grand Sport is actually a 1966 or 1967 Grand Sport which is very misleading to someone who doesn't know much about body styles. A 1975 Buick Grand Sport was never considered a "muscle car." I quit reading after the first picture and a couple paragraphs.

The Pinto was an exploding POS if it got rear ended. I do remember quite a few people dropping in some big V8s though, and Ford did offer it with a V6. Not my cup of tea.

I thought they offered the Pinto wagon with a 302 and BOSS graphics at least once. Maybe it was a dealer custom ...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The Pinto was an exploding POS if it got rear ended. I do remember quite a few people dropping in some big V8s though, and Ford did offer it with a V6. Not my cup of tea.

I remember seeing a Mercury Bobcat that the owner had dropped a 302 in. It wasn't my cup of tea either, but it was interesting chatting to the old guy that did it.

For heaven's sake atikovi, the link is to a 'click bait' article assembled (not written) by a buffoon.

I hope the poisons haven't infected my laptop.

Pinto was OK. A good chassis in need of a better engine.

Well they explode if they get rear ended by a van going 50 MPH.'

duhhh !

The modular SLA front suspension is used today in multiple hot rods and miles and miles better than any GARBAGE fox body ever was. I know I've owned examples of both and maybe 4 fox 'stangs. over the years NEW. Lost count.

But I was a GM guy and I built a 327 V8 Vega back in the day.

When most "sporty" cars did 0-60 in 13 seconds, I did 0-100 in 10 seconds
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I remember seeing a Mercury Bobcat that the owner had dropped a 302 in. It wasn't my cup of tea either, but it was interesting chatting to the old guy that did it.

I remember being with my cousin going to drag races in the 70's and seeing a Pinto with a Ford 427 engine jammed into it, and a 4 speed Muncie bolted to it. That car was very memorable. Those were great times.

A v6 Camry is faster than most muscle cars of the 60's. Maybe that's why it's so nuts out there with this speed in the hands of the general public. The Camry also costs several times what the most collectible muscle car of the 60's cost. Didn't look at the link, try to stay away from you tube, but my favorite was the 390/401 AMC varieties, A neighbor had a Jeep with the 401 in it stock. Nobody thought about it as money then, just fun. Making it all about money spoiled it for me,

Originally Posted by gman2304
Bob Glidden won several pro stock titles in the 70's with his Pintos.

You're bringing back more memories!

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
A v6 Camry is faster than most muscle cars of the 60's. Maybe that's why it's so nuts out there with this speed in the hands of the general public.

That depends on how you define muscle car. I would never have considered a 14+ second car a muscle car. They all had models in the late 60s that would run low 13s. These were what I considered muscle cars.

Newer cars also handle the speed far better. Nowadays, it's extremely rare that I see quick takeoffs or excessive speed to the degree of causing a problem except where drugs/alcohol are also involved. It's always inattention and inconsideration causing the accidents and unsafe driving.

And you don't really mean speed, pretty much any car or light truck has been capable of 110 mph for over 30 years, unsafe on any public road with any traffic on it. The high horsepower only means the difference between 125 mph top speed and 160+. I've never personally seen anyone on a public road doing over 125, only news broadcasts and youtube. People buy more power for 0-60 and quick passing, not top speed.

I do have to avoid people pulling out or changing lanes without looking or obliviously running red lights etc. daily. This has nothing to do with how fast their car is. They don't need high power to be nuts out there.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
I've never personally seen anyone on a public road doing over 125, only news broadcasts and youtube.

Then you probably haven't been on PA rt. 15 back in the 90's.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

A click-bait site assembled by a foreign 2nd grader. Good thing I have Ad Block installed.
As far as the Pinto having more than a 4, the V6 was offered, IIRC, only for the station wagon.
If you wanted anything that resembled a Pinto V8, you ordered a Mustang II with the 302, a very lethargic 302 I might add. Even during the 74, and parts of the 75 era, the V8 wasn't offered.

Back