The shape of kitchen sponges

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I thought I'd ask this question here as there is a very wide range of experience on the forum, and maybe someone will know the answer.

Over the years I've been using a brand of sponges that were rectangular in shape. Some time ago they changed their sponges to this shape:

1686402862371.jpeg

I'm curious as to why the shape was changed. Less material used in manufacture, better ergono,ics, more effective cleaning? Any thoughts on this Saturday morning?

Time to do the breakfast dishes.

We use Scrub Mommy and Scrub Daddy sponges. My mother in law has a hook up or something. She gets them discounted and gives them to us.

Probably ergonomics/human factors. But we also have some sponges with a smiley face cut into it. I prefer those, just because it makes me happy. 3EFC82AC-2712-490B-9DB4-8A3F3CE24993.jpeg

@Shel_B when I use a sponge I seldom use it in the rectangular form. I usually bend / fold / contort it into some shape to clean what I am working on. I think this shape just makes it easier. Think about scrubbing the bottom of a pot with rounded transitions to the side. This sponge pictured would be great.

Just my $0.02

We just buy the ones that Costco sells in bulk, when they run additional discounts during one of their monthly sales.
Mrs. Tdbo used to object, but she has learned to adapt.

Marketing. "New and improved" = more profit

Does anyone, besides me, remember when every fall Tide ran a bunch of TV ads for the "New and Improved Tide"? Seriously, it was an annual event. Right along with the price increase!

Does anyone, besides me, remember when every fall Tide ran a bunch of TV ads for the "New and Improved Tide"? Seriously, it was an annual event. Right along with the price increase!
How about the Arm and Hammer baking soda campaign to take your product and pour it down the drain, then run out and get some more? That marketing was pure genius, likely the evil work of Saatchi!

btw I learned to microwave sponges for 30 sec. Once we started doing that, no more foul smell.

Tide is doing it again which is comical that you mentioned it. Their new Tide "power pod plus" has "85% more tide than the standard Tide pod." So the standard one isn't very good?

i use those scrubby washcloths . they last much longer than sponges and i can wash and sanitize them much easier and more often. this makes me feel better about reusing the same thing to clean over and over. lol

I thought I'd ask this question here as there is a very wide range of experience on the forum, and maybe someone will know the answer.

Over the years I've been using a brand of sponges that were rectangular in shape. Some time ago they changed their sponges to this shape:

View attachment 160456

I'm curious as to why the shape was changed. Less material used in manufacture, better ergono,ics, more effective cleaning? Any thoughts on this Saturday morning?

Time to do the breakfast dishes.
Easier to hold. It's definitely not cheaper, since the tool for the press to cut the sponges will be more expensive than your basic rectangle

Back