The "Penny Challenge"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
From eating Tide laundry detergent pods to shorting out electrical circuits.
33.gif
Social media brings out the Darwin award candidates.

https://fox13now.com/2020/01/23/aut...outlet-challenge-seen-on-tiktok-youtube/

Originally Posted by JLTD
Dar-win! Dar-win! Dar-win!

Bingo. I'm glad I grew up when I did.

You know that these challenges are fake and exist solely for boomers to link to them as evidence for dumb youth.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by JLTD
Dar-win! Dar-win! Dar-win!

Bingo. I'm glad I grew up when I did.

Back in '97 or so one of the guys in the dorm took a electric cord and twisted the wires together to test the theory that "a short cannot have voltage across it". The lights dimmed in the hallway for the brief moment during this test, and we all skedaddled when campus security poked their head into our hallway.

I don't recall him testing the idea again.

In the news was a door bell challenge. You ring the door bell and get back to the car and take off without being caught. Some teens did it but the home owner chased them in his Infinity, crashed into them and two if the kids died and two were hurt badly.

Stupid in all ways.

When I was young, people talked about putting dog pooh in paper bag on porch, light the paper bag, ring door bell and take off. The ownder would come out and would step on bag to put out fire. But I don't think I knew anyone who actually did that. Now people pick up the dog pooh and the bags are plastic.

In college dorms people would fill album cover with shaving cream, slide open end under door and step quickly on the album cover blasting shaving cream all over the dorm room. I think I might have done that.

At work someone might make a few copies of Playboy nude picture. Then turn those copies upside down and intersperse them randomly in the pile of paper in the feed drawer. Boss walks away from copier with a copy and people see Playboy picture on reverse side. I might have done that.

Last edited:
In middle school (2011ish) a kid in a grade below me put a scissors in the outlet at school. He got a nice burn, clothes burned, and burned the new carpet. He's lucky he didn't die.

Years ago underarm spray deodorant was extremely flammable. People used to spray it under dorm doors and light it off. Pretty impressive. Lucky nothing got burned down.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Years ago underarm spray deodorant was extremely flammable. People used to spray it under dorm doors and light it off. Pretty impressive. Lucky nothing got burned down.

We did that all the time in the dorms, but WD-40 was more impressive
wink.gif

Originally Posted by walterjay

We used starter fluid for that. Burns better.

Let us wait until one child would be trending because his/her life is in danger....let us see if they would stop.

It's nature trying to thin the herd.
Unfortunately many of these challenges (penny, cinnamon, etc) end up hurting people.
Been going on for, oh probably, since forever.

If they get hurt, I have little sympathy. If they cause loss or harm in others then I get mad.

Last edited:
1) Girls in a dorm room discovered that I didn't know what a "Whoop-whoop" was.

They took a dry cleaner's cover plastic and after hanging it from a wire hanger (pulled taught so it hung like a hose's tail) set it on fire.

The molten plastic made a "whoop-whoop" noise as it fell to the ground. Also, the room filled with toxic smoke.

My Dad was a fireman. I contained myself but implored the girls not to do that again.

2) A friend went to a better, nationally known technical college and found dorm mates who were amazed that zip cord could be fastened to nails which then could be inserted into hot dogs. When plugged in the hot dog would cook.

I thought, "If these easily entertained imbeciles are tomorrow's engineers, we're in trouble".
I'm not snotty.. They were stupid children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back