The Motul Oil Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jimmyturner
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

33.gif

I know, every 3 months is overkill.

Although i may go with an even cheaper oil because i wanna do 3 month oil changes.

IJS it's a lease. You don't own the vehicle. You're renting it, so unless you're doing this for therapeutic reasons, or you think you may buy the vehicle at lease end, you really are just lighting money on fire.

Last edited:

33.gif

Although i may go with an even cheaper oil because i wanna do 3 month oil changes.

IJS it's a lease. You don't own the vehicle. You're renting it, so unless you're doing this for therapeutic reasons, or you think you may buy the vehicle at lease end, you really are just lighting money on fire.

I agree.
I would be more concerned with the outside of the vehicle, every time I left home for work or groceries. Those darn shopping carts can cause some door dings and scratches.

33.gif

I always prematurely changed my oil. But moreso now i'm OCD about it knowing about the fuel dilution in this particular car.

I don't mind spending 25 bucks every 3 months lol. I mean i spent more today on food alone. I gotta stop doing uber eats LOL

Last edited:
when u will start dreaming on oil brands at night u will reach my level.
insanity level that is.
had one on amsoil being a in a cake the other day.

Originally Posted by avi1777
when u will start dreaming on oil brands at night u will reach my level.
insanity level that is.
had one on amsoil being a in a cake the other day.

I think i'm getting there. Because i started reading on magnatec!!! LOL And i kinda want to put that in my wrx right now. I only put about 105 miles on the mobil 1 EP. Now i'm debating on just getting rid of this oil and putting magnatec lol. But i'll leave the filter of course
wink.gif

If it's a lease, why bother with Motul? Why not just go with M1, Castrol, or Pennzoil? It's one thing if you own the car, it's another if you're basically renting it for a long period of time. You really are just wasting money here. But whatever floats your boat.

If anything, you should only care to get the car across the lease contract timeline finish line, and that's it. Why go above and beyond for a car you're not going to keep? You'll be doing enough to maintain your part of the contract, and that's all that will ever be expected of you. If you're worried, change every 6 months, not 3. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by avi1777
dont.m1 ep is far better oil than magnatec.

Yeah i know but i only thought about switching due to the every 3 month changes. Magnatec is 16 bucks per jug at walmart right now. Mobil 1 when i bought it was 25. But again i don't care about spending. I just want the better oil, even if it's just for a short period at a time.

I guess i'll just keep doing mobil 1 every 3 months. I know it's a waste of money. I know it's not smart. But i have peace of mind doing it this way lol

Originally Posted by propellerhead78
I'm using Motul 6100 SYN-ergy 5w30 in our M5 presently. I have about 1800 miles on the oil and have been happy with it thus far. Mostly mixed city/hwy driving and lately a lot of fun drives at night on the empty freeways. It's the correct viscosity, and meets A3B4, SL and LL-01 standards though it is a blend, which I didn't know at the time. I'll probably run it 3k then change it to the Motul Specific 5w30 LL-01 A5B5 I have on the workbench. Strange thing about the BMW S63 engine-different year owners manuals have different oil viscosity recommendations. My manual says 0w30 or 5w30 as an alternate. I know other years list 0w40 and 5w40, but I try to stick by the letter of the book.

It's often the case with European cars that are sold in many geo-markets, there are differences or inconsistencies in the owners manual. In some cases the viscosities change from one model year to the next even though the engine has remained completely unchanged. I have a couple of M5 brochures from the time I was car shopping a few years ago which ended up with the purchase of an Audi R8V8.
So one 2013 brochure states : 0W30, 0W40, alternately 5W30, 5W40. ACEA A3/B4 (no reference to LL01)
and the other 2016 states : 0W40, alternately 0W30. BMW LL01 LL01FE (no reference to ACEA)

I think the Motul you refer to is LL01 FE, as you say A5B5. Would you not be better to stay with an A3/B4 LL01 rather than the LL01FE which will have a lower HTHS? Great car by the way. I had a test drive about a year ago in a F10 M5 and was blown away by the effortless performance and traction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NuttCase
I'm using Motul 6100 SYN-ergy 5w30 in our M5 presently. I have about 1800 miles on the oil and have been happy with it thus far. Mostly mixed city/hwy driving and lately a lot of fun drives at night on the empty freeways. It's the correct viscosity, and meets A3B4, SL and LL-01 standards though it is a blend, which I didn't know at the time. I'll probably run it 3k then change it to the Motul Specific 5w30 LL-01 A5B5 I have on the workbench. Strange thing about the BMW S63 engine-different year owners manuals have different oil viscosity recommendations. My manual says 0w30 or 5w30 as an alternate. I know other years list 0w40 and 5w40, but I try to stick by the letter of the book.

It's often the case with European cars that are sold in many geo-markets, there are differences or inconsistencies in the owners manual. In some cases the viscosities change from one model year to the next even though the engine has remained completely unchanged. I have a couple of M5 brochures from the time I was car shopping a few years ago which ended up with the purchase of an Audi R8V8.
So one 2013 brochure states : 0W30, 0W40, alternately 5W30, 5W40. ACEA A3/B4 (no reference to LL01)
and the other 2016 states : 0W40, alternately 0W30. BMW LL01 LL01FE (no reference to ACEA)

I think the Motul you refer to is LL01 FE, as you say A5B5. Would you not be better to stay with an A3/B4 LL01 rather than the LL01FE which will have a lower HTHS? Great car by the way. I had a test drive about a year ago in a F10 M5 and was blown away by the effortless performance and traction.

Thank you for your response, I hope you're getting along OK in Ireland with this virus business...
I'm glad someone else noticed the discrepancy between years of the recommended viscosities. The printed 2015 manual in my car states 0w30 recommended, 5w30 as an alternate. I found an online 2015 manual that has 0w40 recommended with 0w30 as the alternate! Slightly confusing for the user and maintenance minded...

Because 0w40 and 5w40 are recommended in other years material for the M5, is it safe to assume that the other viscosities will be perfectly fine? There are more options in 0w40 and 5w40 than Xw30 with BMW LL-01 so it makes the search a bit easier. I live in Southern California which gets warm enough that a 40wt oil would be fine, for commuting, evening rapid drives and backroad trips up north. I'm not sure though, what subtle differences BMW may have made throughout the run, or if the inclusion of the Competition package requires a 0w/5w30 oil.

As for the Motul Specific 5w30 A5B5 LL01 FE (you're right it's FE), I'm not educated enough on how HTHS shear varies from one spec to the next. What should I consider with respect to that? My assumption was that LL01 FE superseded LL01, and that they differ from the LL04 C3 spec that I shouldn't be using in my car. I was hoping that this Motul Specific would be the standard oil I use in the car. There is also a LiquiMoly product unveiled last year that I was thinking about: SAE 5w30Special Tec B FE. Liquimoly SAE 5w30Special Tec LL is another and it's available at NAPA a few miles away. Not sure which is better honestly.

What brought me to this site was a search to find out about the 6100 Motul 5W30 I put in my car a few months back. All the specs match the book, but because it's a Technosynthese product, it's a blend of sorts (to my understanding) and I was concerned it was something I shouldn't run in the M5. Even if it is a blend, it does meet the spec to a letter-nowhere is synthetic oil mentioned-so perhaps I should just run it a shorter interval.

The M5 is a dream car-spectacular performance and practical for the family! I found this in an unlikely place...You've got quite the machine yourself. The R8 V10 Spyder with a gated manual gearbox is just about the apogee of sports car art IMO. I have driven the R8 v8 R-tronic and it was incredible, particularly the sound-no doubt that v10 at 8500rpm is even wilder.
[Linked Image]

Thank you for your response, I hope you're getting along OK in Ireland with this virus business...
I'm glad someone else noticed the discrepancy between years of the recommended viscosities. The printed 2015 manual in my car states 0w30 recommended, 5w30 as an alternate. I found an online 2015 manual that has 0w40 recommended with 0w30 as the alternate! Slightly confusing for the user and maintenance minded...

Because 0w40 and 5w40 are recommended in other years material for the M5, is it safe to assume that the other viscosities will be perfectly fine? There are more options in 0w40 and 5w40 than Xw30 with BMW LL-01 so it makes the search a bit easier. I live in Southern California which gets warm enough that a 40wt oil would be fine, for commuting, evening rapid drives and backroad trips up north. I'm not sure though, what subtle differences BMW may have made throughout the run, or if the inclusion of the Competition package requires a 0w/5w30 oil.

As for the Motul Specific 5w30 A5B5 LL01 FE (you're right it's FE), I'm not educated enough on how HTHS shear varies from one spec to the next. What should I consider with respect to that? My assumption was that LL01 FE superseded LL01, and that they differ from the LL04 C3 spec that I shouldn't be using in my car. I was hoping that this Motul Specific would be the standard oil I use in the car. There is also a LiquiMoly product unveiled last year that I was thinking about: SAE 5w30Special Tec B FE. Liquimoly SAE 5w30Special Tec LL is another and it's available at NAPA a few miles away. Not sure which is better honestly.

What brought me to this site was a search to find out about the 6100 Motul 5W30 I put in my car a few months back. All the specs match the book, but because it's a Technosynthese product, it's a blend of sorts (to my understanding) and I was concerned it was something I shouldn't run in the M5. Even if it is a blend, it does meet the spec to a letter-nowhere is synthetic oil mentioned-so perhaps I should just run it a shorter interval.

The M5 is a dream car-spectacular performance and practical for the family! I found this in an unlikely place...You've got quite the machine yourself. The R8 V10 Spyder with a gated manual gearbox is just about the apogee of sports car art IMO. I have driven the R8 v8 R-tronic and it was incredible, particularly the sound-no doubt that v10 at 8500rpm is even wilder.
[Linked Image]

LL01FE does NOT supersede LL01.
Any LL01 in S63 would be fine and I personally would use it (I use in my N52 LL01 not LL01FE which is also allowed).
HTHS in LL01FE is around 3, compared to minimum of 3.5 in LL01 oil.
Now, S63 specifically is very demanding engine. Reason why LL01FE is recommended is that BMW found out that most BMW owners do short distances, extreme city driving in the US. N/S63 engines proved particularly susceptible to issues with specific to short distances. BMW tried to mitigate that issue partly with thinner oils.
Now, problem with N/S63 is extremely high operating temperature. That is generally case with BMW engines. But N/S63 runs around 110c. That means that 0W30 oil is actually thinner at operating temperature than what KV100 suggests. That is why I would run in that particular engine oils like Motul X-Cess 5W40 if you like Motul. Plus that oil is like $37 on Amazon for 5ltr. Though you can run Castrol Edge 0W40 which does not have LL01 anymore but has MB229.5 etc. It is $25 for 5qt in Wal Mart. You can run Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 which is LL01, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 etc.

[Because 0w40 and 5w40 are recommended in other years material for the M5, is it safe to assume that the other viscosities will be perfectly fine? There are more options in 0w40 and 5w40 than Xw30 with BMW LL-01 so it makes the search a bit easier. I live in Southern California which gets warm enough that a 40wt oil would be fine, for commuting, evening rapid drives and backroad trips up north. I'm not sure though, what subtle differences BMW may have made throughout the run, or if the inclusion of the Competition package requires a 0w/5w30 oil.

Grade is almost irrelevant with most European approvals such as BMW Longlife-01. Longlife-01 requires a minimum HTHS and grade is unimportant except maybe for the winter rating. But unless you are routinely starting at temperatures below -35F or so then it makes no difference which grade (or winter rating) you use as long as it has Longlife-01 approval. This is a common misconception you're making.

Also as edyvw notes Longlife-01FE does not supersede Longlife-01. If anything you would use a Longlife-04 oil which has the same HTHS. Or something with Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approvals. These are approvals with similarly strict requirements as Longlife-01. Both Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-40 have the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz approvals are are available at Walmart mor very low cost. There is zero reason to spend money on the Motul if it costs more than Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart.

[Linked Image]

The S63 can run LL01/LL01FE or LL04/LL12FE(Think of this spec as LL04FE).

Yes BMW would put a sticker in the engine bay saying one grade or another, but they probably made a change for business reasons (Dealers didn't have to carry a M-specific weight such as the 0w40)

Now the big difference between these certs is that some are only to be used on vehicles which have GPF (Gas Particulate Filter) or ULSG.

For the US Market you can use LL01/LL01FE on a 10k interval. LL04/LL12FE at 5k? if you want to be safe (probably go longer, but it's easy to track 5k intervals vs say 7k).

In any case the min HTHS for this engine is 3.0

Last edited:

I'm doing well in Ireland thank you; hope you are doing well in CA. We are still under mandatory lock down at home except for essential journeys so appreciating living in the countryside with some space to go outside. I changed the V8 for a generation 2 V10 in 2017 and she's been sitting in the garage for the last month full of 98RON and Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W30! My very first post on this forum was a UOA of the factory fill.

Motul is fairly well known here by car enthusiasts and those in the auto trade but it's far from a household name, even though we are about as close to France as you can be without being joined. If you go to their website you will not find a single retailer listed for Northern Ireland and a large portion of the UK retailers are Suzuki motorcycle dealerships. I first started using their products ~10 years ago, possibly becoming familiar through their advertising / sponsorship deals with MotoGP and World Touring Car Championship. In those days I would shop first by brand, then find the oil that was approved or met the specifications for the respective vehicle. My old favourites were Shell, Motul and Castrol but there was not any real basis for that and it was what some might call "preference engineering". Now I shop primarily on the relevant approval and look out for deals on recognised brands. On the garage shelf right now I have Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 (MB229.51 and BMW LL04) which I picked up for £1.19 a litre and will go in the C Class diesel and Mini JCW (BMW B48 engine) at next oil change; admittedly this was exceptionally cheap and I suspect it may be an end of line product replaced with either ECT C2/C3 or ECT C3 Dexos. Other brands on my shelf now are Gulf 5W40 ULE (also 229.51 and LL04) and Petronas 7000 0W40 (229.51), the latter being a PAO based synthetic costing £2.75 a litre. Compare that with a Motul equivalent Group III oil like the X-Clean+ costing minimum £8 per litre here, it's easy to see why it's not a more popular brand. The only reason it is in the R8 right now, is that it is a favourite of Ricky Elder - one of the top R8 service engineers in the UK who performed the last service.

Thanks kschachn, NuttCase, BMWTurboDzl & edyvw for your knowledge and insights on BMW/Motul and LL-01 et.al. Glad to know I have acceptable oil in my car and that what I have for next oil change will work fine too. I might go the route Castrol 0w40 down the road due to easy availability and lower price. It sounds like the LL-01 cert removal might have coincided with BMW's switch to Shell and the oil remains the same or jsut as good due to other approvals. OR...I might give Motul X-Cess a run first! Stay safe and healthy out there!

Thanks kschachn, NuttCase, BMWTurboDzl & edyvw for your knowledge and insights on BMW/Motul and LL-01 et.al. Glad to know I have acceptable oil in my car and that what I have for next oil change will work fine too. I might go the route Castrol 0w40 down the road due to easy availability and lower price. It sounds like the LL-01 cert removal might have coincided with BMW's switch to Shell and the oil remains the same or jsut as good due to other approvals. OR...I might give Motul X-Cess a run first! Stay safe and healthy out there!

I'll second the above and
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back