The Motul Oil Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the x clean is the 300v for the street car,has some ester in it if I remember correctly.if I had a turbo sports car even if stock I would get an oil with a stronger spec than sn or ilsac I'd go with Porsche,mb and the vw specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by avi1777
and for that money I can buy amsoil or redline which again in my humble opinion is better than any m1 even the excellent ap.

Redline is no longer boutique, given that it is owned by CP.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Boutiques, or otherwise referred to as craft oils, usually range higher$$ than the average mid-priced oils. There are solid reasons to go for that-type of oil, if you have a specific issue you need addressed, or desire an oil that's built with specs to better withstand specific engines.....ie... GDI / TGDI engines.

In the past, boutique purchases were more intended for performance / racing engines. But the craft oil segment has expanded and now includes going after issues with ma & pa passenger vehicles having hybrid / TGDI / GDI engines.
If one is into NOACK, VIIs, sulphated ash, HTHS......etc....etc.... numbers that best serve ma & pa's grocery mobile, then boutique oils can help safeguard the engine's long future, should the owner feel he needs to deal with a specific certification (or 2) for that grocery-getter.

You get better specs in many of the OEM approved oil than offered by many boutiques, and this includes far more modern additive packages. Ravenol's base oil selection is significantly higher end than that of many boutique products for example. There's no guarantee that a boutique product, despite being advertised or even lauded as being superior could pass something like Porsche A40 for example. There's something to be said for actual engine validation testing above and beyond the novel mystique of a product being expensive to procure and more difficult to obtain.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Originally Posted by jimmyturner

I know. I was just stating that if 1 person could use either or in their car, what would possess that person to choose one over the other?

Both are dexos, 1 just just d1g2 and the other is dexos 2 but "backwards compatible".

I am actually a motul fan because of my motorcycles and their diff fluid. But for some odd reason it's hard to find feedback, in bulk, about their motor oil. It's basically just subaru guys who like x-clean lol.

In your case, it depends how closely you want to follow the recommendations of your owners manual. The Motul that most closely matches those recommendations is Eco-lite 5W-30.

Like I believe I mentioned in the other thread, many WRX owners have been running X-clean 5W-30 (and other ACEA C3 oils) since the WRX switched to the FA20DIT because they want to run an oil with a high HTHS that will stay in grade after some shear and/or fuel dilution. There are some dealers that actually offer X-clean as their premium synthetic offering.

If you stay 100% stock in regards to power mods, including no reflash, and do not plan to hit the track, the Eco-lite (or any GF5/GF6, SN+/SP) is probably fine despite the likelihood that it may become a 20 grade in as little as 2k miles. Also if you remain stock, you have a 5 year/60k mile Powertrain warranty to fall back on.

the car is a lease so i won't see this past 30k miles. but the fuel dilution is an issue i heard. That is why i am going to do oil changes every 3 months regardless of miles. i have been doing a ton of ilding and a lot of cold drives. meaning i drive to a destination that is near and shut the car off and the oil temp gauge didnt even go past 140f. My job is very close to home that's why.

When i did the oil change, the factory oil was black!!! i mean like tar. So i'm glad i did it and didn't wait any longer. Some guys have said they would wait until 1500 or even 2000 miles before you do the first oil change. my thinking is that oil is cheap and on a wrx so easy to do that i don't mind doing it every 3 months.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
used the 300v in my sti and one of my bikes,its a bullet proof oil,now using the 8100 eco lite in my cx5.

Any UOA on the 300V in the sti? I've been considering that switch for mine as well.

I have a 2015 STI with a built motor and big turbo, putting down about 500hp.
Been using Redline 0w40 (similar for motul) and it has been fantastic.. never burned a drop.

Now I mix half/half Redline 0w40 and Chevron XSP 5w40.

and for that money I can buy amsoil or redline which again in my humble opinion is better than any m1 even the excellent ap.

Yeah, but Redline still has that boutique line of products.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes, CP has retained and at this point, not perverted, the white bottle Redline oils, however that may change at any time. Redline is no longer a small niche blender, they are a brand and a legacy product acquired and now produced by one of the majors.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes, CP has retained and at this point, not perverted, the white bottle Redline oils, however that may change at any time. Redline is no longer a small niche blender, they are a brand and a legacy product acquired and now produced by one of the majors.

Agree. I hope they do not mess up that legacy product, otherwise, people will figure out fast that.

i believe they wont,otherwise they are loosing the whole purpose of themselves.
they created the oem series to balance and apply themselves to a bigger market i think they will stop there.

Motul, except the 300V line, is not really considered boutique, but it is considered in general " up market", in Europe.
The 300V definetly is a boutique oil, but the rest of the lineup is not that special or expensive.

They have some interesting oils i would like to try like the 4100 Power 15W-50 Synthetic blend, SL / A3/B4, full saps high Zinc, hgh TBN.

in israel (besides the 300v)motul is 10-20%cheaper than valvoline or castrol and somtimes 50-60% cheaper than m1,mostly beacuse m1 only comes in 1quart bottels.
motul makes great stuff but nothing really special besides the 300v.

i believe they wont,otherwise they are loosing the whole purpose of themselves.
they created the oem series to balance and apply themselves to a bigger market i think they will stop there.

There wasn't really a "creation" of the Professional series, it is just re-bottled CP product, something that I hashed out with a member in another thread. Hopefully they don't start screwing with the white bottle product.

Originally Posted by CT8
Motul 1 ?

Are you suggesting Motul base oil comes from Exxon's Mobil-1.... or Warren Oil's Mag 1?

Because this member often opens his replies with a question, I have chosen to question the question.....lol

I know. I was just stating that if 1 person could use either or in their car, what would possess that person to choose one over the other?

Both are dexos, 1 just just d1g2 and the other is dexos 2 but "backwards compatible".

I am actually a motul fan because of my motorcycles and their diff fluid. But for some odd reason it's hard to find feedback, in bulk, about their motor oil. It's basically just subaru guys who like x-clean lol.

In your case, it depends how closely you want to follow the recommendations of your owners manual. The Motul that most closely matches those recommendations is Eco-lite 5W-30.

Like I believe I mentioned in the other thread, many WRX owners have been running X-clean 5W-30 (and other ACEA C3 oils) since the WRX switched to the FA20DIT because they want to run an oil with a high HTHS that will stay in grade after some shear and/or fuel dilution. There are some dealers that actually offer X-clean as their premium synthetic offering.

If you stay 100% stock in regards to power mods, including no reflash, and do not plan to hit the track, the Eco-lite (or any GF5/GF6, SN+/SP) is probably fine despite the likelihood that it may become a 20 grade in as little as 2k miles. Also if you remain stock, you have a 5 year/60k mile Powertrain warranty to fall back on.

....the car is a lease so i won't see this past 30k miles. but the fuel dilution is an issue i heard. That is why i am going to do oil changes every 3 months regardless of miles....

33.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

....the car is a lease so i won't see this past 30k miles. but the fuel dilution is an issue i heard. That is why i am going to do oil changes every 3 months regardless of miles....

33.gif

I know, every 3 months is overkill.

Although i may go with an even cheaper oil because i wanna do 3 month oil changes.

If the belief that changing the oil every three months is good for the engine, then wouldn't every two months be better? What about monthly changes? Maybe every two weeks or even weekly?

When i did track days way back in the day, i would have fresh oil going in sat morning, then changing it again sunday afternoon. Although it was a brutal 2 day. So maybe that was an exception.

Oil was really cheap back then though. I think i bought castrol gtx with the filter for like 13.99.

I'm using Motul 6100 SYN-ergy 5w30 in our M5 presently. I have about 1800 miles on the oil and have been happy with it thus far. Mostly mixed city/hwy driving and lately a lot of fun drives at night on the empty freeways. It's the correct viscosity, and meets A3B4, SL and LL-01 standards though it is a blend, which I didn't know at the time. I'll probably run it 3k then change it to the Motul Specific 5w30 LL-01 A5B5 I have on the workbench. Strange thing about the BMW S63 engine-different year owners manuals have different oil viscosity recommendations. My manual says 0w30 or 5w30 as an alternate. I know other years list 0w40 and 5w40, but I try to stick by the letter of the book.

I also swapped out the rear diff fluid with Motul Gear Competition 75w140 and the gearbox with Motul Motyl Gear 75w80, both of which had the OEM fluid from the break in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back