The Motul Oil Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Averroes
Great write up, went through it all. Looking forward to the VOAs and UOAs to come. Thanks in advance.

Used 5w30 x clean in my 370z, summer car only, racked up 4200 kilometres on the oil. Car was fine with it. The X community loves Motul, my wallet not so much.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
I run motul oils exclusively and buy them by the case. The cars love them and they run very quietly. I'm just getting into UOA's now so it'll be interesting what comes out of that. The ones that I have used are:

Xcess 5w-40 - This was my introduction to Motul. I bought it specifically for use in my stage 2+ tuned 2015 STI. Lots of track use, never let me down yet. Oil temps are very good, Oil pressure stays very consistent right to oil change although I've never gone over 5k kms on it. Very robust TBN at 8.8 and a CST of 13.1 puts it at pretty much dead center viscosity for a 5w-40. Usually change this once a year unless it is tracked as it's a weekend driver.

Xclean EFE 5w-30- I use this I'm my 2006 Pontiac vibe DD and my wifes 2013 Hyundai Santa fe XL 3.3L. Neither of them have burned a drop. The Santa fe is on a 6000km/6month OCI and the vibe I run to 10k kms usually takes me about 4 months. I just changed it in December and when it hits 10K this time I'm going to pull an oil sample through the stick for analysis. Depending on results I'll run it out another 5k and retest. Probably change it around this time. I can't fined a UOA on this one. So I'll be sending in a VOA in the next week. As per the Motul literature TBN sits at 7.8 and the cSt is a 12.1 putting this one at the boarder of a light 40 weight oil.

Motul ecolite 0w-20- Use this in my cousin's 2019 Subaru crosstrek with 56k kms on it. At 1500kms per week I'm changing it every 8 weeks around the 10-12k kms mark. Doesn't use a drop. Oil analysis will be done in the coming year in an effort to push out the OCI on that one after the warranty has expired. I expect to be closer to the 15-20k kms OCI with this one as it's a highway driver exclusively. Will post results when I do. This one has a TBN of 6.2 and a cSt of 8.61

In November I changed the Santa fe to the XCESS 5w-40 to Address a timing chain rattle at idle. I found after the fact that it wasn't really the best choice for the GDI because of its higher calcium rating @ 2447. I'm debating right now what my next move is on that one. I'd like to run it to the spring and take a sample to send off for analysis to see what the insolubles and "dreaded" fuel dilutions are. If it's OK, I might just string it out another 5k. I won't be putting that one back in. Looks like the xclean 5w-40 is much lower in calcium so I'll either try that or go back to the EFE.

From what I've found, looks like xclean is being phased out for the xclean efe 5w-30. Xclean+ will probably stick around as it is the only one in their lineup that carries the
VW 507 approval for the 09+ TDI common rail systems that I've found. I haven't seen anything in my travels by Motul that covers BMW past the LL04 specs.

Watch for my VO/UOAS coming soon!

Wait were you the one who made that review on amazon? The red 370z? lol

If so, that review was the reason why i bought the motul xclean 5w30 in the first place! But unfortunately i didn't get a chance to use it. i went with mobil 1 EP for my wrx.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by buster
A friend of mine is using Motul 0w20 ecolite. SA is .84 so it's definitely good for DI engines. Does this line contain any esters?

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-eco-lite-0w-20

The 0/5w30s have me real interested, after reading their Data Specs on eco-lite.

Not that it matters, but what's the general base oil blend of the eco-lite line?

A friend of mine is using Motul 0w20 ecolite. SA is .84 so it's definitely good for DI engines. Does this line contain any esters?

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-eco-lite-0w-20

The 0/5w30s have me real interested, after reading their Data Specs on eco-lite.

Not that it matters, but what's the general base oil blend of the eco-lite line?

I haven't any info on the product, other than the motul website link you displayed here. Much like SOPUS with Pennzoil syns, they don't offer-up their inner-most trade secrets. But that doesn't stop me from buying the Ultra Platinum.

I just emailed a nearby small auto-parts store that sells Motul Eco-Lite. I am only interested, if the price is not north of $40 for five quarts. Amsoil SS, Schaeffers, Redline and Ravenol are too expensive for my short OCIs of 4 + 5k. I have piles of money in the bank. But I have my limits on how I want to spend it.

I'd love to do a VOA on any of these oils. To me that's worth the cost of Blackstone analysis. If anyone here wants to send me a small Sample Bottle of 5w30, of any botique brands I listed above, I will pay for the Blackstone analysis. Just PM me and I'll provide my postal mailing address inside a return PM. But the sample must be SN & Dexos 1.

Last edited:
I can't find any Motul Eco-Lite locally. The pics at Amazon might be either SL or SM.
It's one of those products I wouldn't trust to buy sight-unseen.

the 5w30 is sn and d1g2.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I wouldn't call Motul a "boutique" as they have a reasonably solid presence in Europe, though others may perhaps disagree.

Your summary is reasonable, although most of their products except the 300V series have OEM, API and ACEA approvals.

Definitely not a boutique oil in Europe, except the 300V line. Regular line like 8100 you can even find in some supermarkets.They don't have the same presence as Shell, Total/Elf in supermarkets, but are all over the place in store parts.

Boutiques, or otherwise referred to as craft oils, usually range higher$$ than the average mid-priced oils. There are solid reasons to go for that-type of oil, if you have a specific issue you need addressed, or desire an oil that's built with specs to better withstand specific engines.....ie... GDI / TGDI engines.

In the past, boutique purchases were more intended for performance / racing engines. But the craft oil segment has expanded and now includes going after issues with ma & pa passenger vehicles having hybrid / TGDI / GDI engines.
If one is into NOACK, VIIs, sulphated ash, HTHS......etc....etc.... numbers that best serve ma & pa's grocery mobile, then boutique oils can help safeguard the engine's long future, should the owner feel he needs to deal with a specific certification (or 2) for that grocery-getter.

Originally Posted by avi1777
I can't find any Motul Eco-Lite locally. The pics at Amazon might be either SL or SM.
It's one of those products I wouldn't trust to buy sight-unseen.

the 5w30 is sn and d1g2.

If given the choice, say both are the same exact price and both are readily availabe to buy, which one would you pick?

Eco-lite 5w30 d1g2 or x-clean 5w30 dexos 2?

I've used eco-lite in another car with a good report. Bought x-clean because subaru guys swear by it. But ended up putting in mobil 1 EP in the car instead, after i already bought the x-clean lol

Jimmy
If you need Dexos 2 and I need Dexos 1, then the target gets rather simple to chase after.
Specific needs are different for many here.

I desired Motul yesterday. But today I reminded myself to wait on SP, Gen 3 and GF6 Motuls, before purchasing any.
I know it will be more out-of-pocket money then. But so will all the SP, Gen 3 and GF6 oils.

Jimmy
If you need Dexos 2 and I need Dexos 1, then the target gets rather simple to chase after.
Specific needs are different for many here.

I desired Motul yesterday. But today I reminded myself to wait on SP, Gen 3 and GF6 Motuls, before purchasing any.
I know it will be more out-of-pocket money then. But so will all the SP, Gen 3 and GF6 oils.

I know. I was just stating that if 1 person could use either or in their car, what would possess that person to choose one over the other?

Both are dexos, 1 just just d1g2 and the other is dexos 2 but "backwards compatible".

I am actually a motul fan because of my motorcycles and their diff fluid. But for some odd reason it's hard to find feedback, in bulk, about their motor oil. It's basically just subaru guys who like x-clean lol.

to my humble opinion I think the m1 ep is better than the eco lite in every parameter.

Me too. Not only because of their reputation. But the hours and hours of reading discussions about the oil and how everyone says it's good. So that's why i put it in my cars
smile.gif

to my humble opinion I think the m1 ep is better than the eco lite in every parameter.

I do too, and M1 AP.

Boutiques, or otherwise referred to as craft oils, usually range higher$$ than the average mid-priced oils. There are solid reasons to go for that-type of oil, if you have a specific issue you need addressed, or desire an oil that's built with specs to better withstand specific engines.....ie... GDI / TGDI engines.

In the past, boutique purchases were more intended for performance / racing engines. But the craft oil segment has expanded and now includes going after issues with ma & pa passenger vehicles having hybrid / TGDI / GDI engines.
If one is into NOACK, VIIs, sulphated ash, HTHS......etc....etc.... numbers that best serve ma & pa's grocery mobile, then boutique oils can help safeguard the engine's long future, should the owner feel he needs to deal with a specific certification (or 2) for that grocery-getter.

You get better specs in many of the OEM approved oil than offered by many boutiques, and this includes far more modern additive packages. Ravenol's base oil selection is significantly higher end than that of many boutique products for example. There's no guarantee that a boutique product, despite being advertised or even lauded as being superior could pass something like Porsche A40 for example. There's something to be said for actual engine validation testing above and beyond the novel mystique of a product being expensive to procure and more difficult to obtain.

and for that money I can buy amsoil or redline which again in my humble opinion is better than any m1 even the excellent ap.

Originally Posted by jimmyturner

I know. I was just stating that if 1 person could use either or in their car, what would possess that person to choose one over the other?

Both are dexos, 1 just just d1g2 and the other is dexos 2 but "backwards compatible".

I am actually a motul fan because of my motorcycles and their diff fluid. But for some odd reason it's hard to find feedback, in bulk, about their motor oil. It's basically just subaru guys who like x-clean lol.

In your case, it depends how closely you want to follow the recommendations of your owners manual. The Motul that most closely matches those recommendations is Eco-lite 5W-30.

Like I believe I mentioned in the other thread, many WRX owners have been running X-clean 5W-30 (and other ACEA C3 oils) since the WRX switched to the FA20DIT because they want to run an oil with a high HTHS that will stay in grade after some shear and/or fuel dilution. There are some dealers that actually offer X-clean as their premium synthetic offering.

If you stay 100% stock in regards to power mods, including no reflash, and do not plan to hit the track, the Eco-lite (or any GF5/GF6, SN+/SP) is probably fine despite the likelihood that it may become a 20 grade in as little as 2k miles. Also if you remain stock, you have a 5 year/60k mile Powertrain warranty to fall back on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back