The City of Brotherly Love

I always liked Old City and the historic areas. The rest I could do without. Crime is terrible. So many old nice neighborhoods destroyed.

I found this Gaffigan part funny where he describes this general region.

(.57 seconds in)

Last edited:
Great colleges in Philadelphia, crime is really bad though as soon as you step foot off of campuses. I only go to the city to catch concerts or sporting events. Not a Philly fan though. Parking at the major sports complexes at 40 bucks a car is a total rip off. But they pack them in time and time again.

In the late 70's I was in Philadelphia trying to find my way to I-95. The area that I was in was not the best, my car was the only one in the neighborhood with wheels. I saw a policeman parked up ahead of me and stopped to ask for directions. This was when Frank Rizzo was chief of police. I asked how to get to I-95 and he replied "Go to he**". My usual response would have been to ask if I take a left or a right when I get there, but knowing the reputation that the police had I thought it wise to just say thank you and be on my way. Whoever called it the city of brotherly love had a sick sense of humor.

In the late 70's I was in Philadelphia trying to find my way to I-95. The area that I was in was not the best, my car was the only one in the neighborhood with wheels. I saw a policeman parked up ahead of me and stopped to ask for directions. This was when Frank Rizzo was chief of police. I asked how to get to I-95 and he replied "Go to he**". My usual response would have been to ask if I take a left or a right when I get there, but knowing the reputation that the police had I thought it wise to just say thank you and be on my way. Whoever called it the city of brotherly love had a sick sense of humor.
I did like Frank...
My memories mimic yours.
I remember as a kid visiting my 43year old uncle in PGH hospital slowly die from a botched heart operation for over 6 months which was not much of an operation in those days.
It was a long drive and the women in those days mostly visited for the family and I got brought along as a teenager because of the long halls there and the slew of shot up gang members there... A scary place for women to be alone in those days.

The police were peachy keen :(
Not...

We were considering Philadelphia for vacation but decided on Pittsburgh as we read it was just so much nicer and cleaner. And less violent. I don’t like any cities but Philadelphia sounds like a bad one. Maybe we will go there one year to Phillies stadium but won’t be this year. My goal is to go to all of them eventually so likely I’ll visit there one day. As well I’d like to visit Independence Hall.

I pass through West Phila and Center City at least 3x a week going to work in NJ. I won’t lie. Watch Fort Apache the Bronx, and that’s how it looks and feels today. The lawlessness is so disappointing. Tinted windshields, side and rear glass, no tags no insurance no license and constant red light running like it’s a hit and run festival.

And I have no dang clue what is going on. A new house in our town goes for $950k. Hey builder—this isn’t Boston or MD/VA. That ugly joke has a 1 car garage and on 1/5 acre too.

Why do I stay? It’s for the championship sports teams 😂

We were considering Philadelphia for vacation but decided on Pittsburgh as we read it was just so much nicer and cleaner. And less violent. I don’t like any cities but Philadelphia sounds like a bad one. Maybe we will go there one year to Phillies stadium but won’t be this year. My goal is to go to all of them eventually so likely I’ll visit there one day. As well I’d like to visit Independence Hall.

Well if you like that, be sure to also see Detroit, San Francisco, LA, and Portland. 😁

In the 60’s and 70’s I lived in several neighborhoods growing up. Kensington, Port Richmond, Juniata. Rough neighborhoods back then where you learned early how to use your fists and nothing else. Life had value and manners were not only taught, in most cases, but expected. I used to play on the steps of McPherson Library as a kid and anyone following the news in Philly over the last several years knows how bad those steps are now.
I still have relatives down in Richmond and Mayfair. Mayfair is even getting bad now. I have great memories of those days but I know there is no coming back from how bad it is now. Religious and Civic leaders try their best to stop the violence and decay and law enforcement is only a small part of the solution. Real change has to come from within.

Well if you like that, be sure to also see Detroit, San Francisco, LA, and Portland. 😁
Only been to detroit for business 2X. It's one town where it might be advisable to accept the refueling option on the rental car. It's not fooling around, it's not worth it, and your employer is paying for that service, and for you to be out there.

Even in the 1990s it was deemed a ruin park. Imagine people saying your city could be a theme park for people to see ruins, of what was. Somewhere in Time.

In the 60’s and 70’s I lived in several neighborhoods growing up. Kensington, Port Richmond, Juniata. Rough neighborhoods back then where you learned early how to use your fists and nothing else. Life had value and manners were not only taught, in most cases, but expected. I used to play on the steps of McPherson Library as a kid and anyone following the news in Philly over the last several years knows how bad those steps are now.
I still have relatives down in Richmond and Mayfair. Mayfair is even getting bad now. I have great memories of those days but I know there is no coming back from how bad it is now. Religious and Civic leaders try their best to stop the violence and decay and law enforcement is only a small part of the solution. Real change has to come from within.
When I first moved here in 1999, I loved all the films that were shot in Philly. Too many to name but here goes....

The Sixth Sense was first, all those other movies, Unbreakable. Twelve Monkeys, Fallen, Philadelphia.

From my childhood: Blowout, Dressed to Kill, Rocky 1-32, Trading Places, Witness

Today: Limitless, Silver Linings Playbook

There were still abandoned cars and street walkers when I arrived in 1999--it was fascinating to me as NYC had rid itself of that by 1992 or so.

It's a place that always had potential, but dare I say, Boston it will never be. Doesn't have the leadership.

Back