The "calm" before the rust belt storm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Where are all these corroded aluminum body F-150's you all are referring to? I'm in the snow belt since forever and have yet to see one.

Maybe you just haven't noticed them. I live in an area with high snowfall, and copious amounts of salt are spread on the roads all winter long. Look around, ask people in the automotive service industry, heck, there are probably pictures online.

The point is they certainly can rust and/or corrode. My advice is to take all steps to limit rust and/or corrosion in a highly corrosive environment, as is suggested in every vehicle owner manual I've had.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Buy aluminum F-150, problem solved.
thumbsup2.gif

Not really. They have a steel frame and various other steel parts, and Aluminum corrodes.

I've seen plenty of corroded Al bodies that have been neglected when subjected to road salt in winter. Including Aluminum body Ford trucks with bubbling and peeling paint due to corrosion.

Bottom line: If you live where salt is used on the roads in winter, be diligent about keeping your vehicle clean and protected as much as possible, or live with the consequences.

I've owned a Ford with "aluminum"...I don't know where they get their aluminum, but wherever it is it not very good. In less than five years that aluminum will turn into a bubbling mess of dust and corrosion.

Ford claims it's military grade aluminum in their commercials, but I highly doubt it's true...

I don't mind the cold and snow for the holidays, but outside of that, I'd rather have summer-like weather. Nothing like sitting outside with a cold one, taking in all the nice weather and nice scenery (pretty gals in their scanty outfits). Being able to operate a sports car, motorcycle, or ride a bike is nice too, without the worry of getting them covered with road salt, or getting frost bitten...

Originally Posted by grampi

Ford claims it's military grade aluminum in their commercials, but I highly doubt it's true...

We all know how military grade really is
lol.gif

its called "windy city" because of all the politicians. That's how it got that name initially. Now everyone thinks its because of the climate.

Originally Posted by grampi

The military uses the lowest bidder and so does Ford?

Family, culture, tradition and the balance between work, salary and living expenses determines where you live. Many of the higher paying regions see snow in the winter. Living costs prevents many in these areas from having garages for all of their cars. The cost of car replacement when rust takes over is one of the expenses.

If the most important thing in the world for everyone was being able to have a car for many years without rust at the expense of all other factors, then the north areas of the US would be deserted and everyone would be living down south. Life is more than a rust free car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back