The "benefits" of low unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in an AutoZone today buying a license plate cover and asked the counter jockey if I could borrow a phillips head screwdriver to remove one of my plate screws to test fitment. He pulls out a shoebox full of assorted tools, asks me again what I needed "Phillips screwdriver, please", I replied. He hands me a flat head screwdriver and gives me a dazed looked. Realizing he truly had no idea, I turned this into a teaching moment, took the box, found it myself and showed him what one looked like. Other employee at the end of the counter was just shaking his head.

I've noticed over the last few years an easing of the drug testing requirement for many entry level type jobs. Interesting in its socioeconomic aspects.

Everybody has to start some place. Whether or not they get anywhere is another story The guy just learned something, his co-worker hadn't helped, just sneered.

What's funny is absolute employment has been steadily decreasing (aka workforce participation)

So you've gotta wonder does the made up "unemployment rate" mean anything?

USA unemployment at 50 yr record lows across most demographics and yet people still find a way to complain. Not sure if that's amazing or pathetic.

At least he has a jobby job... more than I can say about some kids who just live off student loans for a few years getting a lib art degree (if they graduate at all) then default on the loan.

Originally Posted by andyd
Everybody has to start some place. Whether or not they get anywhere is another story The guy just learned something, his co-worker hadn't helped, just sneered.

^^^ THIS.
I see his co-worker's attitude quite often and I truly hate it. If you can teach your co-worker something, why not?
Good on you for spending the moment teaching the guy something.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by andyd

^^^ THIS.
I see his co-worker's attitude quite often and I truly hate it. If you can teach your co-worker something, why not?
Good on you for spending the moment teaching the guy something.

Again, you get what you pay for. Training is not in the coworker's job description so he/she doesn't do it. In toxic environments like this, the management makes sure to train the newbies so that they can perform what's in their job descriptions. In this case, it wasn't done properly.

I have a nephew that may not be sure which screwdriver is which.

Graduated from college, first job made $80,000 per year.

Switched to another company after about a year for just over $100,000 to start.

Two years out of school and is doing very well.

He really doesn't need to know much about tools, they aren't part of his world.

Originally Posted by ondarvr

And he probably doesn't know how to put a spare tire on a vehicle.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
USA unemployment at 50 yr record lows across most demographics and yet people still find a way to complain. Not sure if that's amazing or pathetic.

Could be you don't understand how that data means nothing if the minimum wage hasn't kept up and many have multiple part time jobs with pathetic benefits. Do you realize that the unemployment rate doesn't count anyone who hasn't looked for work in the last 4 weeks? Yeah, they're no longer "unemployed" but instead "marginally attached".

Literally, there could be 1 person working minimum wage, part time, out of 100 and if the other 99 aren't actively seeking employment, they don't count. There's then a 100% employment rate for the 100 people polled, and the one person working will become homeless because part time minimum wage isn't enough to put a roof over their head unless they depend on someone else, like secretly shack up with someone on welfare getting their housing and food paid for. GREAT system we have in the US! Not. It discourages work on the employee side and discourages full time work on the employer's side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by ondarvr

Probably not but I give him credit for just having a job. Hope he grows from where he is. A little better every day.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Could be you don't understand how that data means nothing if the minimum wage hasn't kept up and many have multiple part time jobs with pathetic benefits. Do you realize that the unemployment rate doesn't count anyone who hasn't looked for work in the last 4 weeks? Yeah, they're no longer "unemployed" but instead "marginally attached".

Literally, there could be 1 person working minimum wage, part time, out of 100 and if the other 99 aren't actively seeking employment, they don't count. There's then a 100% employment rate for the 100 people polled, and the one person working will become homeless because part time minimum wage isn't enough to put a roof over their head unless they depend on someone else, like secretly shack up with someone on welfare getting their housing and food paid for. GREAT system we have in the US! Not. It discourages work on the employee side and discourages full time work on the employer's side.

Well, other side of the coin is this dude and many like him may not have the skill set to get a higher per hour wage. Ever think of that? It's not a business's responsibility to provide a living wage for an adult who may have not done what they could have done to better themselves at an earlier age. I'm sure the excuses are about to flood this post but end of day we all have choices and we make em. Those choices have outcomes.

Reminds me of the dad who confronted Elizabeth Warren stating he worked multiple jobs and put his kid through college while his neighbor just drew debt and how is it he should benefit from being bailed out of student debt.

I have a step and a nephew that shouldn't be near tools. Now the step is a Doctor and the nephew works at home doing IT and is doing VERY well. Just bought a Land Cruiser. Those of us that work with our hands don't understand their world and vice versa sometimes but that's ok.

[/quote]

My brother in law got towed into an Infiniti dealer some years ago.
He was mad. Got a flat tire, couldn't locate the spare.(FX 35 suv,as I recall)
The spare is where you would expect it to be, but the subwoofer is nested in there too, so, Homer Simpson Anger Moment. lol.

There is not knowing yet willing to learn or not knowing and being too ignorant to want to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back