That time you asked when will differential calculus and limits come in handy in real life?

In high school all I did was the minimum, metal shop,and auto mechanics. No haircut for the coach. Later I went to college and did Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry. Still later on while I was restoring British cars a buddy kept bugging me to be a draftsman. First week I was a designer. All that, all that simple math in college began to click. After a while I had enough time working under a licensed engineer to take a test in Texas to become a licensed engineer. I knew I would have to learn Calculus. My wife's company moved us to Austin TX. Instead, I began playing Bass in bands.

That time would be never for me. I barely got through Jr High algebra (D-) even with a tutor. Oddly I excelled in business math in high school. Now? Can't even balance a checkbook without a calculator.

We had two Questions of the Day that addressed piston velocity/cylinder volume using algebra and trig:

Initially using Differential and Integral equations with Boundary conditions often results in simplified equations using algebra and trig.

Last edited:
I guess I was fortunate at my job. I had an entire engineering department that was staffed with the brightest engineers that Georgia Tech had graduated. As Clint Eastwood would say: "a man's got to know his limitations." :)

I got a D- in college calculus and was darn happy to get it. after getting a B In algebra in that completed my 12 hrs of math requirement. Was unable to sell my calc textbook at price I wanted, so i kept it. This was way back in 1978 at North Dakota State. some 40 years later I found a use for my huge calculus book as a doorstop. Took over 40 years but I did finally use calculus or at least the book

Dwell time. When you are figuring compression ratios with liquid and a plastic cover there is always a degree or two of crankshaft movement at tdc available that doesn't move the oil around at all. Some may be bearing clearances but I doubt it. If it has no effect than does it matter? I'm sure the math is going to make me eat my words but I don't care.

We had two Questions of the Day that addressed piston velocity/cylinder volume using algebra and trig:

Initially using Differential and Integral equations with Boundary conditions often results in simplified equations using algebra and trig.
I used to have an automotive math book ,,when I moved I gave it away that had the formulas for pretty much everything Automotive. Plug in the numbers and do the math. If the answer didn't seem correct ask a smarter friend.

Back