Test to see if foam mattress vacuum storage bags work

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Moving time again. Our king size foam mattress is super heavy, and I am not getting younger trying to move it myself.

On Amazon I came across a product that claims it reduces foam mattress bulk by 80 percent. Of course, it does not reduce the actual weight.

The reviews were mixed. What I found is that a cheap foam mattress might reduce by 80 percent, but a well built mattress does not achieve the 80 percent shrinking. I suspect I gained about 35 percent shrinking.

The kit comes with Velcro straps to hold the mattress after shrinking. Reviews state the Velcro straps don't work. I went with other straps.

Shrinking this mattress really taxed the DeWalt vacuum. I think a lessor vaccun would have produced worse results.

The bag is a one time use. Yes, I would buy the bag again, with appropriate expectation management.

IMG_20240428_091135.jpg
IMG_20240428_091132.jpg
IMG_20240428_091130.jpg
IMG_20240428_091127.jpg
IMG_20240428_091123.jpg
IMG_20240428_091117.jpg

Hmm. Does seem like it helps a bit. I guess I'd be weighing the result against the cost, it doesn't seem Earth shattering. :)

For comparison, I put a cheap foam queen size mattress in this blue zipper bag. This mattress is significantly lighter than the king.

This blue bag was well designed for a single person to place the mattress in the bag, another amazon product.
IMG_20240428_093912.jpg

I write a check to movers. Not dealing with moving myself ever again.
Yeah us, too. We've moved several times around the US and always used movers. Doing it yourself doesn't save much and is absolutely soul crushing.

Yeah us, too. We've moved several times around the US and always used movers. Doing it yourself doesn't save much and is absolutely soul crushing.
We are all different. I move about every two years, and have done so for decades. I pack myself.

The other upsides are that it should keep the mattress clean and dry... and protect it against anything such as bedbugs, that could already be present in a moving truck or storage facility. I like it.

Best of luck with the move.
That is a great point right there!

Back