Test drove a few trucks. Ram Pentstar V6?

Originally Posted by dadto2
Originally Posted by dadto2

I'm very familiar with your neighborhood... So I can tell you how this 4.3 Sierra performs on roads you know. I cruise up Rt. 3 out of Lansdown doing 95 - 110 kmh, and the tach sits right around 1300 to 2000 rpm. Same on Rt 15, and 43 to Westport. And same up the Perth road. Doesn't scream at all. If I really get on it up the hill out of Westport, she'll wind up to 3000 rpm, but is nice and smooth throughout.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

I love that hill coming out of Westport.... But I've only ever gone up in it my cars with no load.

The 4.3 is only available as a 6 speed right?

I assume you vacation up this way? Hopefully soon, we can all get back to doing that. We have friends in Syracuse that have been waiting to come to the cottage

Not sure about current models, but the 2016 4.3 came with the 6 speed.

And yes, my parents built a cottage on Big Crosby Lake way back when they were expecting me... I now share it with my brothers. I can't wait until the border reopens! Fortunately we have some wonderful neighbors who will look after the place until we can return.

Good stuff, my friend owns 5 cottages in Arden, just north of number 7 and most of his customers are from across the border. We're all hoping things are back to normal soon.

Originally Posted by 4WD
As a new owner of a Pentastar and ZF8 … surprised by how quickly it runs through all gears and is in 8th at pretty low speeds… seems like lots of shifts doing little along the way …

I wonder if mine has adapted to the way I drive.

My 2017 w/ 3.21 gears only advances into 8th at steady highway speeds, throttle position and no inclines, so if it does go into 8th, it doesn't stay there long with my typical driving.

Most of the time I keep tow/haul mode on because it holds it out of 8th, holds lower gears while descending hills, downshifts when slowing down, etc. I loose maybe 0.5mpg average tank/tank keeping tow/haul mode on.

I have heard people say there's will go into 8th with tow/haul on, but in 2yrs of doing this, mine has never done this.

Last edited:
Yeah … I do have 4.10 … but have had 4.56, 4.10, 3.73 all before … just thought it might have a final gear to get the RPMs below 2k at highway speed … no worries …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … I do have 4.10 …

4.10s in a new pentastar powered Ram? Cool! Didn't know that was a thing.

Back