Tesla shares crater 17%

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

Tesla share crater 17% after coronavirus delays Model 3 deliveries

DOW 30 gains 483 points today up 1.68%

A year ago TSLA was $317, $418 Dec 31, today it is $734.
Profit takers made a killing.
What a ride!

Last edited:
It is overvalued without any underlying reason for its huge increases over the last year. I think it will continue to fall so short it if you own it imo.

Here I am considering the purchase of a Model 3. It's a pretty awesome car from a drivers perspective.

I had no idea the stock had reached over $900. Amazing.

Last edited:
As I was clicking on the link to the thread, I was telling myself no tesla bashing thread is complete without some perspective from JeffKeryk.
grin2.gif
Sure enough there you were.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A year ago TSLA was $317, $418 Dec 31, today it is $734.
Profit takers made a killing.
What a ride!

This is no Tesla bashing thread — it is a neutral statement of fact. Tesla stock dropped 17% today.

Originally Posted by wdn
This is no Tesla bashing thread — it is a neutral statement of fact. Tesla stock dropped 17% today.

The whole premise that a stock has "cratered" when it lost 17% of its value, when it's still up 60% over 30 days is not neutral, it's silly.

No different than any other stock that has risen so far so quickly. Juniper, Qualcomm, just a couple examples of stocks that always revert to the mean. TSLA is no different.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by wdn

The whole premise that a stock has "cratered" when it lost 17% of its value, when it's still up 60% over 30 days is not neutral, it's silly.

If you've got a beef with the headline in question take it up with CNBC. I quote it verbatim.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/tes...elay-to-model-3-deliveries-in-china.html

I've seen predictions it's grossly undervalued and will hit $5000 within the year. Think I'm going to buy a share on friday.

Originally Posted by wdn
Tesla share crater 17%

Don't feel too bad for your losses... Elon lost $5.9 billion today.
He is only the 25th richest person now. Of course he was way down at #35 at the beginning of the year.

All good.
Except I shoulda bought at $30. Sheesh...

Don't be around when the bubble bursts. It's ironic that the company trying to market sustainable vehicles, isn't sustainable. The Chinese will deliver EVs that undercut Tesla by at least 30% and are rapidly improving in quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Don't be around when the bubble bursts. It's ironic that the company trying to market sustainable vehicles, isn't sustainable.

It's not always the first to market that survives. Look at Alta Vista.

Don't be around when the bubble bursts. It's ironic that the company trying to market sustainable vehicles, isn't sustainable. The Chinese will deliver EVs that undercut Tesla by at least 30% and are rapidly improving in quality.

Like this bad boy I saw in China:

The Chinese will Steal and use Tesla's IP to make EVs that undercut Tesla by at least 30%.

fixed it.

Originally Posted by Rand

The Chinese will Steal and use Tesla's IP to make EVs that undercut Tesla by at least 30%.

fixed it.

You know Tesla makes a lotta their software Open Source...
They encourage other companies to develop EVs.

Originally Posted by Rand

fixed it.

I'm not sure you really understand the Chinese market very well. Exactly how well in Chag'an doing in China? I mean, it's not like they didn't have a head start. They're one of the oldest car companies in the world, yet they're crushed by VW in sales.

Cars in China are a luxury good, and I know of no one in China buying a 60K USD Chinese car. Sure, lower-cost electric cars will have their place, but Tesla is not going to be undercut by price. The whole entire point of buying a Tesla in China is to show people how much money you have--which seems to be a big thing over there.

Originally Posted by CT8
Tesla over here is to show off as well.

I'm sure for some it is, but the culture over there is very different when it comes to showing off wealth. I'm sure for some here the car is more than a car--it's a show of "environmental cred", "tech cred" or yeah, "wealth". Of course, some folks buy them because they perform really well. Most Golf R owners I know (hardly a car of ostentatiousness) cross shop the Model 3. The $ to performance ratio is very high. Until they made a 5 door though, I'm not interested.

While I don't want to generalize, I will a bit: almost all of China's money is "new money", and status is a huge thing. I've never sat in a factory owner's car that cost less than 80K USD, unless the factory owner was Taiwanese living in China. Then it was a Toyota... It's not just cars, it's everything. Showing your wealth is some sorta fundamental ethos, and seems pretty common to the nouveau riche of China. Tesla fits the bill perfectly. They also put a huge premium on foreign brands, which is why VW is the number one selling car there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back