Tesla disappointment. Need luxury EV/efficient suggestions.

If your bored with a Maserati I can only imagine you'll be bored with a Tesla. Sure there wicked fast and handle well but there interiors are so bland. I would go with a Lexus Hybrid.

Personally, I would figure out the Model 3 Performance thing, if you want the most fun.
Any Model 3 is a ton of fun with its tech and flat torque curve.

I am currently looking to get a Lexus RX450h F-Sport for wifey. Gotta be white on red...

With the good advice here, figure out what you want and then make it happen. Good luck.
And enjoy your new car!

Once they started the leasing Maseratis are all over LA.

The prerelease press on new EV's has all read and ended up the same.

" Going to have" turns out to be undelivered promises in terms of range and charging speed.

The Etron, Jaguar, Taycan, missed their range and charging speed targets substantially we'll see about the polestar and GM offerings.
You have to look just like a Tesla for aerodynamics. This is the sad truth of EVs. As long as things look interesting and different they leave range on the table to tesla. I like the idea of a Model Y for example but in real life it just doesn't look like $60k, it looks like an econobox.

What hard to see in most pictures of the 3 and the Y is the " hip" I think they both look better in person thank picts because of this, but I hear you.

People forget that the model S (I think) is still one of the only cars available with an all aluminum frame.

The Y looks very tall and skinny in real life. This is why all the photos are shot at 3/4 angles. It just doesn't make me want one seeing them driving around.

After what happened with the volt, and every other semi desirable vehicle the big 3 churn out I'm guessing that electric hummer regardless of its actual delivery performance will be subject to " local market corrections" and the 70K price will be nowhere for quite some time.

I am interested in seeing the offering though and am rooting for all American manufacturers to do well.
Im very curious to see ho the ulitum architecture which is supposed to be modular handles cooling.

You have to look just like a Tesla for aerodynamics. This is the sad truth of EVs. As long as things look interesting and different they leave range on the table to tesla. I like the idea of a Model Y for example but in real life it just doesn't look like $60k, it looks like an econobox.
BMW i8 looks great. Drag Co 0.26.
Tesla Model 3 looks meh. Drag Co 0.23.

This company dropped drag on a model 3 by A TON! and it resulted in a bit more range, but the aero difference was massive (21% less drag) and they only saw 43 miles more range at 70mph.

There is plenty of room for style, as the BMW's drag difference would result in maybe 20-30 miles less range. It's a luxury purchase...that's acceptable. Look at the OP, he drove a vehicle that got what, 13mpg? lol

BMW i8 does look amazing. That would be a better use of $60k than a Mod Y Performance. Also i think you run into diminishing returns on the aero improvements Tesla has. I'm no scientist but i assume the lower the drag the less it matters. 43 miles on an EV is a great gain though. .23 for a stock vehicle is also really good. So is the .26 on the i8.

I guess the best ever C/D is the VW XL1 at .19, was capable of 240 mpg US on diesel because of its low drag and light weight.

If your in the .20s for drag thats really good. A pickup truck is going to be around .40 or more.

The new Wrangler plug is is getting terrible electric efficiency compared to others for example.

BMW i8 does look amazing. That would be a better use of $60k than a Mod Y Performance. Also i think you run into diminishing returns on the aero improvements Tesla has. I'm no scientist but i assume the lower the drag the less it matters. 43 miles on an EV is a great gain though. .23 for a stock vehicle is also really good. So is the .26 on the i8.

I guess the best ever C/D is the VW XL1 at .19, was capable of 240 mpg US on diesel because of its low drag and light weight.

If your in the .20s for drag thats really good. A pickup truck is going to be around .40 or more.

The new Wrangler plug is is getting terrible electric efficiency compared to others for example.
I'd say low .20's is where "good" starts. My 370Z is now 11+ year old tech, and it was in the .2's. Heck, my CX5 is 0.33, lol! Interestingly, Cybertruck (that hideous thing) is 0.39 at 60mph.

I owned an e-tron for about a month. I did NOT sufficiently test drive it beforehand with my wife and that was a big mistake. A few criticisms:
- The black interior really wasn't black, it was clearly grey
- The seat materials were not up to snuff for the price. They felt like cheap vinyl with poor bolstering, which I expect was avoidable if I had opted for the extended leather option? I think the one I briefly test drove months prior had that.
- Interior has a funny smell, not sure why, this vehicle was brand new
- Door trim doesn't line up well with the dash and materials where it meets look cheap
- I was not a fan of the scroll wheels on the steering wheel and the black plastic felt cheap
- Interface for managing settings and phones is a bit cumbersome. You have to do a lot of swiping and clicking to do things that are quicker on other systems
- Automatic braking and collision avoidance is a bit intrusive. I had it stop me from pulling into my butcher because it thought I was going to hit a vehicle that was turning into the next driveway up, which then had me stopped partially in the oncoming lane.
- Charging system/app needs some work. You cannot easily set it up to charge off-peak for example and the app often gets out of synch with what is actually taking place with the car, like charging. The one morning I thought it didn't charge because the app said it was at 76%, got in the vehicle and it was fully charged. App didn't update its state of charge until much later in the day. On another day it said it was charging and the next day, it clearly hadn't.

On the other hand:
- The ride is excellent, though you can tell the vehicle is heavy
- Sound deadening is amazing, the unit is coffin quiet inside
- Doors feel solid
- Stereo is very good
- Dash layout is good and gauges easy to read
- Brakes are excellent
- 360 camera is very nice and image quality on all the cameras is extremely good
- HUD works well and displays the current speed limit which is a nice feature
- Navigation is great, and shows in the cluster, this is well executed
- Headlights are amazing

If I were inclined for a do-over (I'm not now) I'd probably have also test driven the Q5 hybrid, which might have been a better fit. If they offered it trimmed out like an SQ5, that would have been even closer to the mark I think.

I may take a tour down this road again once there is a hybrid or electric Grand Cherokee. My 2016 and my 2020 both have markedly nicer interiors than the e-tron, so if you are used to your Maserati, you may find the e-tron to be a let-down in that department.

I just test drove a 19 e-tron today. Can't say I like it but it sure is one good EV that I will definitely consider. Very good build quality, comfortable, rides very soft, little to no road noise. Only gripe I had is that it never really put me back into the seat even in dynamic/sport mode and pedal all the way down. Doesn't feel like 400hp. Feels like 300hp, probably due to how heavy it is.

If the dealer gets back with an agreeable number than I'll get it. Otherwise I'll wait for the BMW i4 or Audi e-tron GT, hopefully they can match the performance of my Ghibli. If I had $150k to spend a Taycan Turbo would be a no brainer.

The Y looks very tall and skinny in real life. This is why all the photos are shot at 3/4 angles. It just doesn't make me want one seeing them driving around.

Yes. I thought it was only me. They look like a lifted taller version. For the price difference it looks too similar to the cheaper model 3. 3k extra to get some more rear headroom and higher center of gravity is a no go for me...my back seats are rarely used.

Yep-If the OP can wait two to three years there are going to be a lot more options.

This probably explains why folks are willing to pay higher than the new price for a gently used Tesla, no Tesla two-step ordering hassle 😂

I’ve seen it mentioned that Tesla trade in quotes are only valid for 30 days which is typically shorter than the order to delivery time. So it’s not uncommon to see a 10% or higher devaluation on the trade allowance at time of delivery. Now, do they lower the price commensurately on their used inventory?

EVs choices are quite limiting and expensive . I’d buy a normal car that appeals get bored and then get your EV on next trading round when market has way more choice.

This probably explains why folks are willing to pay higher than the new price for a gently used Tesla, no Tesla two-step ordering hassle 😂

I’ve seen it mentioned that Tesla trade in quotes are only valid for 30 days which is typically shorter than the order to delivery time. So it’s not uncommon to see a 10% or higher devaluation on the trade allowance at time of delivery. Now, do they lower the price commensurately on their used inventory?

Not sure what you are referring to by " two step" hassle?

I'm amazed they deal with trade in's at all.

What car were you trading in that they devalued at the time of delivery? What reason did they give you for this?

Avacado what did you end up getting?

Back