Tesla Crushing It - Again

With the pandemic, forecasters set a delivery number at 72K cars; some were more optimistic.
But 80K seemed a loooong shot considering Silicon Valley shut down before anywhere in the country.

90,650 cars delivered. TSLA is over $1,200 per share; analysts are floating a $2,000 price.
Why didn't I pull the trigger?

Elon is whack. But market cap just blew past Toyota making it the highest value car company in the world.

Not sure why people hate this good American company.
Tesla Q2 Deliveries

I dont think its hate. Its just the funny business of valuation given the actual industrial might of, say, a Toyota, versus TSLA.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
With the pandemic, forecasters set a delivery number at 72K cars; some were more optimistic.
But 80K seemed a loooong shot considering Silicon Valley shut down before anywhere in the country.

90,650 cars delivered. TSLA is over $1,200 per share; analysts are floating a $2,000 price.

Elon is whack. But market cap just blew past Toyota making it the highest value car company in the world.

Tesla Q2 Deliveries

Part of the reason so many dislike Tesla is because Elon is as easy to dislike as is he is to like.

He puts others investments at risk unnecessarily with his mouth (keyboard), and thats disrespectful to investors.

It's great to see an American Auto company on top again, especially one that did everything everyone said was impossible.

Staring a new car company - nearly impossible.
Starting a new all electric only car company- impossible squared.

UD

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I dont think its hate. Its just the funny business of valuation given the actual industrial might of, say, a Toyota, versus TSLA.

Correct. It's not hate, it's well deserved skepticism.

Would you like some Pom Poms with that?
grin2.gif

I applaud their innovation and think they are a great company, personally. The only issue I have (which isn't even with Tesla) is people who question why not everyone owns one yet, when the infrastructure isn't enough to support it, at least in the areas I commute and live.

To be fair my commute/daily travel between sites for work is a lot more than most people.

Tesla Q2 Deliveries

Because they're a black hole for SRI* investors? With billions of funding trying to find a place to go in order to fulfill SRI goals Tesla truly is the ONLY game in town and there are a ton of people piling in to ride this train hoping to jump off before the Robinhood investors have figured it out.

* SRI: "Socially responsible investing, or social investment, also known as sustainable, socially conscious, "green" or ethical investing, is any investment strategy which seeks to consider both financial return and social/environmental good to bring about social change regarded as positive by proponents"

Tesla Q2 Deliveries

Buy Tesla stock now if it will hit $2000 per share.

Lots of people are jealous of Elon.....

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Tesla Q2 Deliveries

Part of the reason so many dislike Tesla is because Elon is as easy to dislike as is he is to like.

He puts others investments at risk unnecessarily with his mouth (keyboard), and thats disrespectful to investors.

It's great to see an American Auto company on top again, especially one that did everything everyone said was impossible.

UD

There's nothing remarkable about them.

The would not have survived without Massachusetts v. Environmental Protection Agency (2007) and the fact that the USG has thrown millions of dollars in subsidies which made them too big to fail and consequently allowed investors for pile in for years while accepting at best an above-average product for the price.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by UncleDave

Tesla Q2 Deliveries

UD

The would not have survived without Massachusetts v. Environmental Protection Agency (2007) and the fact that the USG has thrown millions of dollars in subsidies which made them too big to fail and consequently allowed investors for pile in for years while accepting at best an above-average product for the price.

Nothing remarkable...... Not one little thing?

The success of many companies can often be traced to a key event or circumstance.

There isn't a single automaker that doest owe its existence to its home governments support on multiple levels. Some more egregious than others.

UD

Actually they are the 4th most valuable automaker behind Toyota BMW and Mercedes. Two as someone who has had to deal with their lackluster and terrible customer service at the dealership and over the phone when I worked for an independent dealership. The "leader" musk is crazy. I've also driven several Teslas, BORING overly complicated dash and not really enjoyable to drive. It's shocking that they have made it this far. Oh and theyvmade the majority of their "profits" from the stupid carbon offset tax.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

What about oil subsidies? We have hundreds of thousands of US troops protecting ME oil supply.

Personally, I'm not interested in an electric car until I can fully recharge it as quickly as I can fill my gas tank. That said, Elon Musk is a God to me.

Scott

Tesla Q2 Deliveries

It's not so much that people hate Tesla, it's the type of people that Tesla attracts and how they behave. That behavior puts a tarnish on the brand.

I mean, Toyota has sold a couple million Prius. You hear the odd story about smug Prius owners, but it's not like they're shoveling their smugness around at the end of every quarter, talking about sales numbers and profit margins. Most just drive their cars around like I do my truck and my parents do their suv.

A Prius is just a car, just like a Tesla is. A brodozer is a good truck-based analog. They're just metal, plastic, and rubber. Nothing offensive there. Yet, when you hear people talk about dislike toward them, it's often always directed at the people in them, not the vehicles themselves: Smug Prius owners, douchy brodozer drivers, and Tesla cultists.

Market cap: The true judge of a corporation's worth.

Nikola, a company with no revenue, no expectation of revenue in the foreseeable future, and no product, has had a market cap larger than Ford, which makes the best selling vehicle in America.

Nikola is literally just an idea in the form of a stock ticker. They're not sure what their first vehicle will be: It might be an electric pickup, but it also might be a fuel cell semi-truck. They're not sure when it will be for sale, but they'll gladly take a deposit on it if you'd like to purchased one.

My post is simply from a business standpoint.
Pretty much everyone considered Tesla, at best, a niche company that wouldn't be around for long.

Yes, there are haters; I don't get it. This goes way beyond market capitalization.
Yes, Tesla is a remarkable company; they have changed the world. Heck, name another car company that puts up a new plant in 1 year (Shanghai) and another in process (Berlin). No other car company has the rabid owner customer satisfaction about their cars.

All the other major car makers are trying to catch up and are failing miserably.
Say what you may, but those are the numbers.
The numbers, aka results, are what drives the market.

Originally Posted by Rand
Would you like some Pom Poms with that?
grin2.gif

FYI, I recommend against a Tesla purchase to most of the people I talk to.
They are not for everyone.
If I couldn't charge at home I would not own one.
They are expensive. While they have come way down in price since we bought, a Honda Civic is a much better choice for most.
People buy for the wrong reasons, especially because they think the cars are really cool. Good way to get into trouble. Better to invest...
There are many more reasons.

Please feel free to keep your pom poms.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Tesla Berlin is being cut back.

Actually you might find that is old news.
You understand Tesla demand in Germany, and Europe in general, is very high.
At our local service center, I was told the waiting time for a Model Y was being extended because Fremont was switching to European deliveries.

Tesla Berlin

Last edited:
Back