Temporarily a diesel Honda Civic

My boss put 18 gallons of gas in a 2007 duramax company truck with a 26 gallon tank and drove it 65 miles back to the shop. It was driven 15 more miles to the Chevy dealer where they drained the tank and installed a new fuel filter and said see what happens. It ran 4 more years with no issues at all until I retired. Heard an employee bought it still running fine. How can that be possible?
Because it’s the opposite scenario.

Mercedes allowed cutting of diesel in cold climates. Ideal was to use kerosine, not gas, but they allowed it to ensure drivability.

If the engine wasn’t run hard it could be ok since there was diesel in there. It probably didn’t run well.

Diesel in a gas engine won’t ignite. Hi suspect it should even hydro lock .

Brakleen will instantly foul the plugs
Also of note: "The Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for a can of brake cleaner reads: “Do not use this product near open flames, welding operations, or excessive heat. Vapors may decompose to harmful or fatal corrosive gases such as hydrogen chloride and possibly phosgene.”

So definitely shouldn't be used in a garage or other enclosed area for a starting fluid replacement. I believe this only applies to the chlorinated type, if David Freiberger is to be believed (and he's generally pretty knowledgeable, imo).

And from Google, a result from here:

Best just to buy starting fluid, it would seem. Somehow mine multiplies. Everytime I go buy one, a new one finds its way into my supplies.

Starting fluid is ether. If you’re trying to start something (say, a six volt Ford 8N in freezing weather) that’s what you need.

Non-flammable brake cleaner is a horrible choice since it has chlorine, and well, it is non flammable!

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is mostly alcohol and heptane. It will burn, but it doesn’t vaporize as well as ether. In fact, it’s not much better than gasoline.

Use starting fluid to start an engine.

I don't have any starting fluid. I keep running out. And I do have a case of non chlorinated brake cleaner, and it burns just as well as gasoline. The chlorinated stuff works good as a cleaner but it costs more / is harder to find.
I should buy some more ether

Back