Tell me about EDC pocket knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered this cheap D2 blade knife:
https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009152095568.html

[Linked Image]

Probably not true D2 at this price, but from what I've read, people still think it's a great knife for the money and stays sharp for a very long time.

I was initially looking at the new Honey Badger Flipper D2, but at $60, it would likely be overkill for my needs, but it sounds like it may be in OP's price range:

https://westernactive.com/product/honey-badger-flipper-large-tan-d2/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Honey Badger is one interesting knife. I like that it has a unique honeycomb pattern handle. I like the hole shape on the blade, And I definitely want to get me a flipper. This is the first company that I've heard of from Johannesburg South Africa, so that is a cool factor for me.

Would definitely like to add one to my growing collection one of these days.

Thanks, Voleak. This is my first flipper knife so I have no point of reference, but I'm thrilled nonetheless.

I checked out that link to Gear Best you provided, and ended up ordering a Sanrenmu 9001 Tanto.

Sweet. The Sanrenmu knives seem to be very well regarded.

You must have seen this 9001/9002 review: https://steelreviews.blogspot.com/2018/09/review-sanrenmu-srm-9001-9002-flippers.html

BTW, I ended up cancelling my Go,Comma order, the one I posted about earlier. Some people reported flaky locking mechanism on some of them.

I have 4 benchmade knives. All of them have been fantastic.

I have a:
griptillian 154cm
Adamas D2
North Fork S30V
Mini Crooked River S30v

Each have their pros. I EDC the grip and north fork, the Adamas and mini crooked are for hunting. People ask why spend that kind of money on a knife, same argument could be had on full synthetic vs conventional oil.

I like the blade sharp warranty and quality of the knife. They stay sharp much much longer than the cheaper 440 knives. The D2 and 154cm are my favorite steels so far. Benchmade is also made in the USA.

Last edited:
I used to be a leatherman and Gerber freak.
Then I broke both the army issued MUT and the issued Gerber multitools over the course of deployment back in 2013

I dont know if I still have the emails from 2013, but both companies pretty much said "warranty doesnt cover issued items, nor does it cover damage in combat settings"

I bought a Victorinox Swisstool X (at a very generous discount when I contacted victorinox at the time regarding my issues with their competitors) which has done me well since.

As for regular pocketknives, I either carry a
Case Sod Buster
Kershaw Tone Tanto
Or a CRKT Ripsnort

It depends on the day and what I am doing.

If I'm working around the house, camping, or any task that I expect to need a knife I carry a Spyderco Delica 4. Any other time I just carry a Victorinox Manager.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Quattro Pete, Thank you for link to the 9001 review, I hadn't seen that one yet.

Arrived today from Cutlery Shoppe: Spyderco Military. The Military is a beast compared to the Para Military 2. This will be my last Spyderco knife for a long while. I need to experience other brands. But boy I'll tell ya, Spyderco's are addicting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Sanrenmu 9001 was delivered while I was away. There is a substantial squeak when opening and closing the blade. The flipper and thumb stud action were stiff requiring a lot of wrist action to fully open the blade. I contacted Gear Best, but the 30 day warranty period ended while I was still out of the country. I explained my situation, but they stood firm on their 30 day period. I took the knife apart and cleaned all parts. I re-lubed it with Kendall GT-1 5W30 oil. I plan on changing the oil every three months or three thousand flips, whichever comes first. Now it is smooth opening requiring no wrist action to flip the blade open. A beauty of a knife in looks and feel in the hand. Shame about the initial squeak and flipping action, but a keeper after all.

I couldn't find Sanrenmu's customer service contact info, and Gear Best wouldn't provide it to me either.

Here are some pictures of hand made knives from Cambodia. The brand is Citadel Knives. They are a bit pricey, out of my budget for the trip I was on. Most of the handles (scales) were made from bone, horn, wood from different provinces in Cambodia, stingray fish, and a couple made from micarta. The employee said the blades were hand forged from high carbon steel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I dyed these two knives with Rit DyeMore. They both had tan colored scales from the factory. The Sapphire Blue one is a Ruike P155. The Racing Red knife is a Bestech Warwolf.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Bestech G-10 series are wonderful knives. I have the Warwolf, Muskie, and Swordfish from that line.

Very nice, Voleak!

I just got this Gerber/Fiskars Paraframe Mini from Amazon. I like the small form factor and low weight (40g), but unfortunately the frame lock is really difficult to disengage. I mean, terrible. I am sending it back. It's not worth the $10 that they ask for it.

Currently looking for something else that's comparable in size and weight, and not overly expensive. Possibly Ka-bar Dozier Mini.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I own one frame lock knife, TwoSun TS81Titanium and Bone, it's a fairly big knife. Even in its larger size it is a pain to flip open due to the frame lock system. You have to be very aware of how you hold it, or it won't open. I cannot imagine a small knife with a frame lock, NO THANK YOU.

I like Kubey knives. I have a Kubey KU150, and I have handled a Kubey KU216. You might want to check out the Kubey KU180 or KU66

Originally Posted by Voleak
You might want to check out the Kubey KU180 or KU66
Thanks, but I'm looking for something much lighter than this, and also something with a pocket clip.

I might give this Schrade SCH107 a try. It has a liner lock, and fits all my requirements.

Even in its larger size it is a pain to flip open due to the frame lock system.

Opening wasn't that big of a problem. That one couldn't be flipped anyway. It was closing that was next to impossible. The frame would get wedged under the blade so badly, it required two hands and a ton of force to push it out of the way in order to fold the blade.

Been wanting a fixed blade knife for light use hiking and camping purposes. Got this $16 Mossy Oak full tang with a seven inch blade and walnut wood handles. It came with a surprise gift: a mini folding knife with a 2 3/4" blade weighing 69 grams. There was no mention anywhere that it comes with this cute little knife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gerber made some good knives when the were manufactured in the USA! Japan made knives are nice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back