Teflon based spray lubricants.

I was looking at the 2020 Chev owners manual and checked what lube GM recommends for all the miscellaneous small lubricant requirements. Here it is. So I checked my owners manual from my 2008 Burb and the same product is mentioned there. So for at least the last 12 years GM has been specifying this lube, which is Teflon based. The Teflon patent which was owned by DuPont has run out. The chemical name is Polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE).
Almost all lube manufacturers now have a PTFE product.

Teflon Lube.PNG

Last edited:
So here it is. And here are two photos of the Liquid Wrench version. They branded is as Cerflon, a play on the word Teflon. Also, the AC Delco version was the Super Lube brand name. Enjoy.

67B34513-8440-41FC-9534-A69064CA5605.jpeg

300C2B9E-5DA3-414F-97A9-A04411CF8428.jpeg

CDA16996-34B2-43CE-9C93-28EA3873AA18.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
So here it is. And here are two photos of the Liquid Wrench version. They branded is as Cerflon, a play on the word Teflon. Also, the AC Delco version was the Super Lube brand name. Enjoy.

Partially, they say the "flon" is Teflon but the "Cer" is because they use ceramics (boron nitride) as an adjunct:

https://www.cerflon.com/

Somehow supposed to by almost synergistic, looks interesting.

"Teflon based" does not seem quite accurate to me. It's a spray grease that happens to have that additive, while that additive could be put in other products that aren't spray grease.

I expect that the additive does reduce friction, but having used regular spray grease for decades, I find the biggest issue is to just use one, rather than letting the components grind themselves or rust due to moisture and oxygen exposure.

At the same time, you want a thin grease with a high % of propellant for something like a lock cylinder so there isn't an excessive amount or viscosity left behind to gum it up. I don't mean to suggest that all cans of spray grease are equal, but I do feel that addt'l cost for this special grease is mostly a waste of money.

Last edited:
Here's part of the SDS sheet for Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant. Also a description of the Tetrachorethylene, which I gather is the propellant and solvent.

Liquid Wrench.PNG

Tetrachlorethylene.PNG

Last edited:
?? Carbon Dioxide is the propellant, but is that liquid wrench product the same product formulation or just another product made by Super Lube?

Sellers and buyers of the GM lube have described it as a white grease consistency. Here is the MSDS for the GM part #t which describes it as "synthetic based lubricant WITH PTFE", and on that PDF it includes a Super Lube product # 20029, with an MSDS as the 2nd link below.

https://paceperformance.com/pdf/37583

https://pim.henkelgroup.net/henkel/msdspdf?country=US&language=EN&matnr=230139

On that 2nd link, it includes other substances including white mineral oil, silica, polypropyleneglycol, and faraffinic (petroluem wax) distillates.

This makes sense. A dry teflon spray is not optimal for metal on metal. You'd want something like that mostly for mechanisms with plastic parts that slide, in situations where it might collect dust and gum up. Then again I suppose it could be a dry teflon spray and numerous sources are confusing it with something else, but if it is, I wouldn't use it for most of the applications prescribed by GM, just sliding plastic areas.

Last edited:
Recently read about DuPont Teflon spray as a dry spray lubricant. Must admit it is intriguing and I can see advantages in a dry lubricant in certain situations. When one of my other spray lubes runs empty I think will try it.....

I use Dupont Silicone Lubricant With Teflon for all those applications. It is economical too in the huge 14 ounce can. This is the best one I have found.

7100HZVGqTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for the post. This reminds me to mention that the Liquid Wrench Cerflon contains Tetrachloroethylene. It smells nasty. I looked it up and found it is widely used for dry cleaning fluid. I’ll be taking it to the hazardous waste depot.

Last edited:
I received some DuPont dry Teflon spray this week. So far so good on sliding door tracks and garage door spring......

I have the super lube branded spray... and their greases too. Many uses for them, not sure how much of a difference the PTFE makes, but it’s in there...

Any specific reason for using LPS???
Introduced to them through work and never had a bad product. Their Dry Film PTFE Spray makes seat tracks slippery AF and doesn't collect dirt. Remains effective between seat removals.

Every single one of their products is top notch and no nonsense.

Introduced to them through work and never had a bad product. Their Dry Film PTFE Spray makes seat tracks slippery AF and doesn't collect dirt. Remains effective between seat removals.

Every single one of their products is top notch and no nonsense.
The best endorsements come through personal use. Dry film is new to me.....Thanks very much....good to know....

Thanks for the post. This reminds me to mention that the Liquid Wrench Cerflon contains Tetrachloroethylene. It smells nasty. I looked it up and found it is widely used for dry cleaning fluid. I’ll be taking it to the hazardous waste depot.
This kind of surprised me, and it's confusing. According to the bottle, this Super Lube Teflon based lubricant contains PTFE, and is considered to be a food grade consumable. In fact, I don't know if they, (Super Lube brand), even make a non food grade in a similar product. At least I can't find one. I'm not that fond of food grade lubricants, because much like any plant based product, they can spoil over time... Especially in a high heat condition.

Back