Tech2000/Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this forum through a net search for info on Tech2000 Walmart oil. I have been reading posts here at night into early hours of morning. These diesel forums are addicting to me because I just bought my first diesel and I have lots to learn. This is right place, great posts in here.

I have called Walmart Canada head office for info on Tech2000 15-40 semi synthetic diesel oil, (I am currently using this oil in my 92 Dodge Cummins). Walmart told me to contact the automotive manager at nearest store. I called two stores and got two separate auto manager replies on Tech 2000:

First Store: Tech2000 is Quaker State, Quaker State is bought out by Penzoil, Tech2000 is Penzoil.

Second Store: Tech2000 was Quaker State, as of Sept. 2003 Tech2000 is SafetyKleen, SafetyKleen is a subcompany of Esso Canada, Tech2000 is Esso.

I could call twenty Walmarts with probably 20 different answers. I am only stating here what was told to me, anyone out there affiliated with Walmart sales, ordering, buying or management who can tell me definately what this oil is? Any forum participants know?

I also learned that the conventional Tech2000 is recycled, they did not know if synthetics are. Recycled oil okay?

I am using this Tech2000 15-40 semi syn for 6000 to 7000 kms or 3700 to 4400 miles OCI, is this a safe OCI for this oil?

In reading lables the Tech 2000 15-40 semi syn is CH-4 and SJ, the conventional 15-40 is CI-4 and SL, am I better off using higher rated conv oil on my OCI? I chose the syn blend for the syn content over the rating.

thanks,
Cyprs

Personally I would use the CI/SL rated oil. It has the proper additives for diesel rated engines up to now. (light trucks). If you are sold on the Wal Mart oil, use it as it does meet specs. I would only go to 4K mile changes with this oil.

smile.gif

welcome.gif

There is a fair amount of speculation on Wal-Mart oils. In the U.S., SuperTech oils are blended by Warren Distribution AKA Warren Performance Products (but not Warren Petroleum-- a company that bought Coastal Unilube-- and is a different entity entirely.

Earlier (SJ) oils used to be made by Specialty Petroleum which was an independent company purchased by Quaker which was purchased by Pennzoil which was purchased (and closed) by Shell.

If you look on EPA data sheets (from memory), I think Warren had the Tech 2000 brand name listed as well as Super Tech. Whether this means Canadian sales or the earlier American production, whose name was changed from Tech 2000 about five years ago is debatable.

There is some question whether or not concurrent blending production with more than one supplier was also occuring simultaneously and that Warren was producing for only the U.S.

Speculation on these boards has always been for Safety Kleen to be the producer of Tech 2000 in Canada. Whether it's recycled oil (which seems to be their specialty) or whether they're blending or simply repackaging Warren stock (hence the Warren reference to Tech 2000) I don't know.

I think Petro Canada may also have been mentioned as a source for Wal-Mart oils.

As in the U.S., this is not an oil, it's a brand name owned by Wal-Mart and production can be switched at any time. I use SuperTech and the inconsistancies don't bother me. However, I note that some ST tested has moly in it and some doesn't so the recipe may change from time to time or with geographical differences. Same problem with major brands as well. Consumer Reports oil issue stated that Shell varied around the country. Other brands as well if I remember correctly.

There have been several UOA's for SuperTech oils, which seem to be OK. Seems like there's a Tech 2000 Canadian UOA or two as well. I think someone posted a VOA for the SuperTech diesel here a while back and that it looked a bit light in the additive department. I do know that the ST production is still SJ, not SL.

Why don't you do a UOA on this stuff and post your findings?

[ June 16, 2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Thanks Vetteman, my Cummins is a 1992, the ratings then were CG/SG, is the latest rating imperative for an old girl like this 92? According to Csandste the SuperTech there is also SJ as is our Tech2000. I do like the syn blend, guess I am stubbornly bucking the conv. oil abit. I only use syn in my gasser, semi syn is only available in Tech2000 15-40, if syn available I would use it.

Considering both ratings being SJ in Super Tech and Tech2000 I tend to believe Tech2000 maybe SuperTech bottled as Tech2000 by SafetyKleen here, Csandste. It would not suprise me, Walmart is Walmart, the border is not that big a factor for a mega mart like Walmart to use universal products under different lable names.

Is semi syn SuperTech CH-4 like our T2000 or CI-4? If ST semi syn is CH-4/SJ as T2 here then I would bet dollars to donuts that it is the same product. Do you use the ST semi syn or conv. oil Csandste?

I might have read one of your past posts, I previously read about Petro Can being fingered as Tech2000 supplier, I contacted Petro Can via email while back, I asked them if they made T2, they gave no direct answer to that but they pointed directly at Safety Kleen as being the supplier to Walmart. They did say that SafetyKleen may be bottling other products or refining their own products for Walmart.

Thanks for the welcome and info guys, when I go in for an oil and fuel filter at my local implement dealer I'll see if I can get an oil analysis there and post it if I can get it scanned.

I did read the posted oil analysis a while back which you mentioned Csandste, the additive pack was weak according to opinions, (I dont know much about oil or how to interpret these analysis) but I remember the base holding up good in the commentary.

Cyprs

The Walmart stores in my area (mtro Atlanta) sell out of the 15-40w diesel rated oil within days of getting on the shelves. I runs about $ 4.74 /gal jug. So who makes this stuff for them now ?

rkpatt, in the "car and truck lubrication" forum there is a topic started by "fuel tankerman" on "supertech, oil source info". There is some good points there on supertech/tech2000 walmart oil.

Cyprs

I was just there and the top part of the Tech2000 price tags say "Safety-Kleen Canada" To you Americans, this is the company that goes to Canadian garages to collect used oil and oil interceptor oil. Who knows how much of their product line is recycled though, Canada has a fair amount of oil reserves.

Steve

Yeah, they now have the tags that state "Safety Kleen", speculation is over on the Canadian T2000 dino, but I did not see tags of "Safetykleen" on the Tech2000 syn oil at my Walmart. I was told by a Walmart Auto Manager that the dino Tech2000 is recycled, he could not speak for the syn line of T2000.

thanks,
Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back