Teach me the routine for new TPMS ??

I'm going to need new snow tires for next winter, yes, thinking about cold horrible Winter when it's +32C right now. I have in the past not bothered with installing any TPMS sensors on the set of snows, just letting the yellow light on the dash glare at me from November to April.

I know from experience that when the snow set is mounted on the car, it takes about 30km of driving before the TPMS light on dash finally turns on, and when Spring arrives, the TPMS light is even quicker to turn off once the sensor equipped summer tire set is installed and I start driving.

If I change my mind...open the wallet further and have 4 sensors added to my set of alloy rims, say at Costco when they install my new snow tires, do these new sensors need to be programmed EACH and EVERY time I mount the snow set on the car? Or will the car automatically recognize the snow set each Fall ?

Thanks for your assistance,
Ken

On our 2014 Honda Odyssey, I had Autel MX-Sensors installed that were 'cloned' to have the same ID numbers as the original sensors. When the winter tires are on the car, the sensors appear to have the same ID as the ones in the summer tires, so there is not a need for reprogramming.

Per what I know cars know 4 sensors. Period.
The most clever way is to clone the sensor IDs so both sets share the same ones. That works quite well unless your car knows the wheel positions and that may be a problem.
If each wheel has unique ID the car needs to relearn after each switchover.

Krzyś

Not knowing what car it is, I can't answer.

As a general statement, cloned sensors could be your best bet.

depends on vehicle. my jeep just works.

subaru's (at least 2011-2016) will only hold 4 sensors so you need to reprogram every time or use cloned sensors..

other makes some where in middle.

Back