tdi longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Email my buddy Stealth TDI. He has a 1998 model with around 200,000 I think. He has been using Amsoil in it since 2000. He also had a by-pass and other goodies. He now races it in SCCA, but he is a wealth of information.

http://www.stealthtdi.com/
quote:

Although I'm a bit of a leadfoot, my lifetime average economy over 175,000-miles is over 43-mpg. I can get over 50-mpg simply by DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT. My best tank without AC is 802-miles on 14.58-gallons, yielding 55-mpg.

Can not answere org. question. I do have something to think about though. How good are you at rebuilding automatics? I ask because it is more probable that the manual trans is more durable. A manual trans is also much easier to repair. You need very little knoldge and no specilized tools in most cases to rebuild a manual trans. You can usualy do it with out a unit repair manual as well.Feeler guage,snap ring pliers, a hammer, punch and a few wrench's. Uusaly the bearings are all that need replaceing. It is always a good idea to replace the synchros' for goosd measure while you are in the case unless they simply look pristine.

Almost EVERY procedure documented in the CD/Bentley's on VW (Jetta, specifically) TDI's has some sort of special tools! I sometimes perversely think that the special tools were actually invented first so they could build the TDI !!
banghead.gif
(how is that for perverse reversed engineering?)

My mechanic I goto for inspections worked on a Beetle a year or so ago. He swapped out a TDI motor. The owner knocked the pan on something and it lost pressure. He said it was a pain gettin that thing out of the car with the special tools needed.

Eric

i don't know if this is the correct forum for this question:
i'm a diesel mechanic and drive this till they fall apart, then i fix them. i'm thinking of buying a 1.9l tdi jetta or golf for commuting
i'll only be using amsoil in it. is this engine capable of an easy 400-500k like my powerstroke? how are the automatics compared to the 5 spds manuals?

thanks

My goal on a VW Jetta TDI is a MINIMUM of 500,000 miles. I actually hope to keep it running approaching 1,000,000 miles. I am not a diesel mechanic.
cheers.gif
But in another life, I was (among other things) an aircraft maintainance control officer both bombers and fighters and had a big fleet of ground transportation in support.
offtopic.gif
So I have an appreciation for the drill.
patriot.gif

The right choice of oil is indeed very important. Since Amsoil has an extensive product line, the one specifically for diesels is the one/s to get. I myself have decided to use Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck & SUV. I also am on 10/15/20k oil and filter change intervals.

Some folks have also taken to bypass oil filters, for even more extended changes and pre oilers, which in theory; structurally removes 50-80% of the wear due to metal to metal contact at start up.

The answer to the auto vs manual can be a bit tricky, but to cut to my chase, 5 speed manual. It has the capacity to go 300-500 k miles, but as you know, that depends on knowledge of an interesting diesel/manual quirk and of course, how the vehicle is driven. Almost any hp/torque modification, unless you are REAL careful in use, can result in decreased clutch life. So to my way of thinking this almost demands an upgrade to the clutch (either before or after you wear out the stock clutch
crushedcar.gif
crushedcar.gif
dunno.gif
), if seriously long life is a goal.

On the same thought, if you plan to do mods then an automatic can take much more than the 5 speed manual. Of course the mileage and control is compromised.

[ November 25, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

quote:

Originally posted by jarmstrong:
i'm thinking of buying a 1.9l tdi jetta or golf for commuting i'll only be using amsoil in it.

Good choice. I've used Amsoil 15w-40 and Amsoil 5w-40 in my 2000 TDI with good results.

I've seen TDI's with about 250k miles relatively trouble free.

Good thing you're a diesel mechanic. VW technicians haven't got a clue when it comes to diagnosing and repairing TDI's.
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:
Good thing you're a diesel mechanic. VW technicians haven't got a clue when it comes to diagnosing and repairing TDI's.
thumbsdown.gif

Hehe, my dad drove 100 miles to get the timing belt changed on his. This was the closest VW dealership. Nobody else would touch it because they needed a computer program (?) to change the timing belt.

Anyway, my dad watched and worried as he saw the tech looking under the hood scratching his head.

Just got a call from the VW dealer, they got in a 2000 TDI jetta and were asking $5900 for it.

JackPot, my parents live in Windber Pa. just before you go into Salp Level on Graham Ave.

Small world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back