Tax liability for charity benefit ..

They are having a fundraising event for a Police Officer that was injured in the line of duty . At the end of the day he will be handed what is expected to be a large sum of cash . Obviously this money will be taxable . Are there any special rules for this or will his tax liability be determined by his income level ?
Does my question make sense ?

This article appears to explain some of the liabilities and consequences pretty well. Can't vouch for the source.

They are having a fundraising event for a Police Officer that was injured in the line of duty . At the end of the day he will be handed what is expected to be a large sum of cash . Obviously this money will be taxable . Are there any special rules for this or will his tax liability be determined by his income level ?
Does my question make sense ?

Talk to accountant or tax attorney in YOUR state.

So he is going to be walking around with $40,000? Probably not the smartest way to give it to him.
That's not how it was going to go down . Actually there's been a huge shakeup . The Officer's wife has gone completely crazy and told the organizer that she want's full control of all funds immediately , and while the event is going on . She basically told the guy that she doesn't trust him and she will put her own people in charge of collecting money , raffle tickets , etc. He told her that the event is now hers to manage and he has relinquished all responsibility to her . She has no clue what she has gotten herself into .

That's not how it was going to go down . Actually there's been a huge shakeup . The Officer's wife has gone completely crazy and told the organizer that she want's full control of all funds immediately , and while the event is going on . She basically told the guy that she doesn't trust him and she will put her own people in charge of collecting money , raffle tickets , etc. He told her that the event is now hers to manage and he has relinquished all responsibility to her . She has no clue what she has gotten herself into .
Time to pull out. Also, if she does the fundraiser I think the proceeds will be taxable income.

Time to pull out. Also, if she does the fundraiser I think the proceeds will be taxable income.
She wanted it , she got it . My buddy had the process running like a well oiled machine and she got greedy . It's her problem now .

Um, yeah that has red flags written all over it, including someone being spiteful and reporting folks.

Back