Taller tires affect eco mode on Ram 1500?

I have a 1500 Big Horn 2wd. It came with 275/60/20 tires, which are 33".

Thinking about going to 275/65/20 which are 34" or one of the sizes below. Anyone done this? How was it affected the engine going to eco mode.

Any one with the 2wd gone to a 295/60/20?...33.5" tire

Or the 305/55/20 that are 33.2"

What size wheel does it come with?(width)

FWIW I'd expect more of a difference
going from a OEM highway tread low rolling resistance to an aftermarket gnarly AT or MT with high rolling resistance..
VS
just a bigger tire.

so why dont you tell us your plans in more detail.

Many manufacturers warn of the impact when using different size tires than those stated in owner manual which could affect A.B.S. , V.S.C. , etc..

My Jeep Grand Cherokee was very finely calibrated. I put a small lift on it and moved up one tire size. After that, it would hardly ever lock up in 5th gear and shifted gears annoyingly at the lightest press of the gas pedal. I was running bridgestone revo2 tires, a mild but fairly heavy AT. Lift was 2”.

I respect that they tuned it just right for holding gears and also shifting when needed.... it was an elegantly programmed drivetrain, one of the best I’ve driven to this day, but it lost all of that elegance with my mods. my wife couldn’t tell a difference, so it’s not like it would bother most folks; but as a car guy, I noticed it, and lost 2-3mpg all total.

you’d have to get a feel for how tolerant the truck is of a tiny bit of extra load before kicking out of eco. if it still has a good margin, you could give it a shot. If it’s quick to kick out of it, it probably will be affected.

m

What size wheel does it come with?(width)

FWIW I'd expect more of a difference
going from a OEM highway tread low rolling resistance to an aftermarket gnarly AT or MT with high rolling resistance..
VS
just a bigger tire.

so why dont you tell us your plans in more detail.
It came with 275/60×20(33") and thinking going to 275/65×20(34")
Deer season going to a 295/60×20(33.5") MT on the rear.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee was very finely calibrated. I put a small lift on it and moved up one tire size. After that, it would hardly ever lock up in 5th gear and shifted gears annoyingly at the lightest press of the gas pedal. I was running bridgestone revo2 tires, a mild but fairly heavy AT. Lift was 2”.

I respect that they tuned it just right for holding gears and also shifting when needed.... it was an elegantly programmed drivetrain, one of the best I’ve driven to this day, but it lost all of that elegance with my mods. my wife couldn’t tell a difference, so it’s not like it would bother most folks; but as a car guy, I noticed it, and lost 2-3mpg all total.

you’d have to get a feel for how tolerant the truck is of a tiny bit of extra load before kicking out of eco. if it still has a good margin, you could give it a shot. If it’s quick to kick out of it, it probably will be affected.

m
I had a similar experience with slightly larger AT tires on a 2006 CRV, it used 5th gear alot less as well. In fact I might be tempted to go smaller in diameter when the Outback needs new tires.

I'd guess with the V8 and 2wd the OP would be fine going up a 0.5". I wouldn't go up much more though unless the rear end is a higher ratio than the standard diff.

Back