Taking one for the team with Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted a few motorcraft failure pics on here that apparently ticked some of us off. Don't get me wrong, a failed filter is a failed filter but I love the motorcraft brand as a whole. I want to have good results from there filters and also calm some of the "you must have damaged it" folks at the same time. I went ahead amd chamged the oil in my personal expedition with a 3v 5.4 using Motorcraft 5w30 and a Fl820s filter. I'm going to run it for 5,000 then cut ot open. I'm also sending out a sample of oil for analysis and will post all results here. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

I guess I would rather use something that does not have a documented history of failure, rather than using one that does and relying on crossed fingers. You know that Bitog isn't the only Internet forum that has shown tearing of this filter, right?

And before someone objects, no I don't use the commonly listed alternative. I use nearly all OEM filters on my vehicles since I prefer ones with either paper or no end caps. I haven't seen any of those tearing yet.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I guess I would rather use something that does not have a documented history of failure, rather than using one that does and relying on crossed fingers. You know that Bitog isn't the only Internet forum that has shown tearing of this filter, right?

And before someone objects, no I don't use the commonly listed alternative. I use nearly all OEM filters on my vehicles since I prefer ones with either paper or no end caps. I haven't seen any of those tearing yet.

You know those OEM filters are like way inefficient and aren't worth a darn right ??
lol.gif

As evidenced by one of your vehicles with like 400k miles.. . And still rolling.

I'm aware and I've been a part of the documentation of their failures. I'm doing this on my own vehicle as a test to see if the use these filters see at my job is part of the failure cause. My personal vehicle is driven and taken much better care of. Of course there are better choices but this is an experiment for me and secondly, if it fails by tearing, I'll have a UOA to see if it even effects it.

Last edited:

I am sure most people don't realize the outside of the filter element is pressurized a few psi above the inside of the filter during normal operation so the fiber caps are more that fine

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I've posted a few motorcraft failure pics on here that apparently ticked some of us off. Don't get me wrong, a failed filter is a failed filter but I love the motorcraft brand as a whole. I want to have good results from there filters and also calm some of the "you must have damaged it" folks at the same time. I went ahead amd chamged the oil in my personal expedition with a 3v 5.4 using Motorcraft 5w30 and a Fl820s filter. I'm going to run it for 5,000 then cut ot open. I'm also sending out a sample of oil for analysis and will post all results here. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

You can get the filter analyzed also.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I'm aware and I've been a part of the documentation of their failures. I'm doing this on my own vehicle as a test to see if the use these filters see at my job is part of the failure cause. My personal vehicle is driven and taken much better care of. Of course there are better choices but this is an experiment for me and secondly, if it fails by tearing, I'll have a UOA to see if it even effects it.

A UOA most likely won't show anything unless the failed filter somehow causes a lack of lubrication (ie, chunk of media clogs an oil passage) that cause a lack of oil damage. Or you run a super long OCI with a torn filter and the oil gets very dirty. If you want to give it a good test, crank up the revs pretty high a few times before the oil is fully warmed up so that the media gets full bypass pressure across it.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back