Tablet - elderly neighbor's entertainment viewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 72 yr old neighbor is basically a shut in with few entertainment options due to expenses, health, etc. I do what I can for him. Tech savvy I am not. His only entertainment is on his old TV with 6 channels coming from a $20 Clear Channel indoor antennae he stuck on his window. No internet connection. 10 year old computer he no longer uses, assuming it works. Land line only. And with that TV antennae he's basically getting the only available free reception in the area. Over 100 miles from NYC or Boston. Hartford (48 miles) and New Haven (34 miles) are the closest larger cities.

He bought a 7" Fire Tablet recently figuring it was cheap and he "could use it." Can the tablet be utilized in any way to watch movies, etc. without traveling to find a WiFi connection? He won't be visiting the local library or Starbucks. I have no problem picking up one time costs for router or other hardware needed. But I can't afford to pay a 2nd monthly internet fee. What basic research I've done on these tablets is that you probably need Wifi and/or internet to make good use of them. An Amazon prime account is $100/yr for access to their full movie base...but you still have to download them.

Any thoughts in improving his entertainment capabilities on say under $100/yr?

Is he close enough to use YOUR wifi? Perhaps you can move your router to your second floor. From my living room I can "see" about 4 other wifi signals, all password encoded of course. All he needs is the password and internet video is his for the taking. My router can run three computers at once and I don't pay extra for high speed.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Is he close enough to use YOUR wifi? Perhaps you can move your router to your second floor. From my living room I can "see" about 4 other wifi signals, all password encoded of course. All he needs is the password and internet video is his for the taking. My router can run three computers at once and I don't pay extra for high speed.

Thanks. That's something to think about. I don't have Wifi though. But, I guess I could get it for relatively modest expense ($200?). Comcast would probably charge me a monthly fee for Wifi capability. We're all one floor Capes around here and he's about 200 ft across the street from me. It might work.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Thanks. That's something to think about. I don't have Wifi though. But, I guess I could get it for relatively modest expense ($200?). Comcast would probably charge me a monthly fee for Wifi capability. We're all one floor Capes around here and he's about 200 ft across the street from me. It might work.
Try Tiger Direct or Amazon, WiFi routers can be had for less than 100 bucks. You have the right to connect your own router to the end of the pipe without paying anything extra, unless you rent the router from them. Don't, they charge too much. You can own the router for x months rental of one.

Last edited:
Yep, try to see if you can get one of his other neighbors to give him their Wireless password. I have a 1st generation FIRE tablet, plugged in and with headphones it does an awesome job streaming video. When I had the flu 2 years ago that's all I did for 5 days. Sit in bed and watch TV/movies on my Amazon Prime account.

I have a 3 year old Wireless N router, it can go 30 yards pretty easily. I'm not sure a wireless G router will go that far.
Peaking of wireless N routing, that is through the radiant barrier in my and my brand new windows that kill off cell phone signals!

A lot of the newer wireless AC routers will be faster/better, but I'm not sure that Internet Providers are passing those out yet.

Go over there, take a look at the tablet, and see what signals he can pick up on it. Those are probably all your neighbors that are broadcasting, but locked down.

This is a good cause. I'd give him my password. See if you can get others involved.
Perhaps one of your neighbors is a networking geek?

Thanks SuperDave456. That gets me headed in the right direction. He's got half a dozen close neighbors. At times he struggles just to get his door locks open, and breakers reset when they trip....so this could be interesting. The tablet hasn't left the box since he bought it off HSN at Thanksgiving. Will be good training for me.

If I'm on the web at home on my PC doing things like bills, credit cards, bank accounts, private emails, or anything personal, does broadcasting via Wifi allow that stuff to be more easily hacked or give easier entry to crooks?

As far as Wireless Security, it's only as secure as the website you are using.

If you are going to get hacked, it won't be over your wireless network. There are too many other loose ends, look at the Target Breach, or Home Depot.
Folks want Millions of customer credit cards.

Now that I think of it I've never heard of identity theft over a Wifi network.
Perhaps at a college?
I'd have to do some research. Just make sure the network you are attached to has a decent password. And no "password" isn't a good password.

I try to do as much as possible over WiFi, my work computer is on a wired network, but VPN tunnels and Voice services like wired networks.

FIRE tablets are set up very intuitively.
You should be able to help him out easily. I was shocked at how easy mine was to set up.

I'd ask him to open his gift and turn it on and take a look at what wireless networks it can pick up. I betcha you can get 3-4 good signals, and another 2-3 that are ok.

Then I'd start asking his immediate neighbors about their willingness to help him out.
You will want to ask them about their Network ID that their wireless router is broadcasting before you ask for their wireless password.
If the list of ID's you got over at your buddy's place doesn't match, then move on to another house.
Wireless routers work best when they are in a high place, like on top of tall furniture or on a 2nd story. Some folks dont get this and "hide" theirs. It leads to a very limited and short ranged signal. As you wonder a neighborhood the networks will change.
Cruising for an open network to mooch off of used to be called "wardriving". There are actually kits to attach to your cat so that at night you can use him to wardrive for you
smile.gif

Once you have the Network ID that matches and a Password go back over to your buddy's with the information and set it up with him there.
Show him how to use it.
Perhaps get him some big honking headset to plug into it.
The speakers on mine are tiny.

Lots of documentaries out there. I love history. That's what my 4 month old and I watch while I feed him late at night. We've gotten through quite a few Ken Burns documentaries since he was born.

Another option is to get a wireless extender to connect to your router. So he would have the extender in his house, which would pick up the signal from your house (or another neighbor's) and allow him to connect to that internet connection. This is the type of thing I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-Pow...r+wifi+extender

With 200 feet you will need a good router yourself. Something like this (this is a good price, BTW):

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-...+wifi+router+ac

Actually Comcast uses wireless routers in private homes to provide free wi fi hot spots for OTHER users. Call them up order their router, and make sure it is set to active hotspot status.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Actually Comcast uses wireless routers in private homes to provide free wi fi hot spots for OTHER users. Call them up order their router, and make sure it is set to active hotspot status.

Other routers have this option as well, including the one I linked to above. It is in the software. They are called "guest" accounts. You can set them up to require a password or to not require one.

Buy a Linksys WRT 54 G.

They are like the AK47 of the wireless router world.

If you experience connectivity problems, you could buy one for your house and one to be setup as a repeater at his house.

If you need even more range and you are not completely technically challenged slap a DD-WRT on them and you are good for about 150 yards.

You can purchase them on Ebay for 30 a pop.

Good luck and congratz on being such a good neighbor !!!

Make sure your Windows "File and Printer Sharing" is turned off.

I'm surprised you don't have your own router yet. Is it just a computer plugged into a cable modem? This is actually dangerous, as the router blocks a lot of incoming bad karma.

You don't sound too tech savvy (not a slam) so flirt up your neighbors and have them set up a guest wifi account.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-...;qid=1452169258

This $20 router can be configured to what you need-- either a router for you and your neighbor, a guest account wifi access point, a gift for neighbor #3 who will use it as his guest hosting point...

IDK if Kindle fires play amazon prime streaming (it seems like they should) but for $99 a year there's a bunch of stuff neighbor could hook himself up with.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

That xfinitywifi is the best thing they have done. 100% telecommuter who can nearly always find wifi near anywhere now. The systems set up at small business for free wifi are abysmal but the xfinitywifi works incredibly well if you get in the queue of 5(home) or 10(business) users.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I'm surprised you don't have your own router yet. Is it just a computer plugged into a cable modem? This is actually dangerous, as the router blocks a lot of incoming bad karma.

Haven't seen a need for a router, wifi, or other gadgets. Just a computer plugged into a cable modem. I've had very little trouble with this new system just using MS Sec Essentials and an Ad Blocker/Pop up blocker recommended by a tach savvy relative. I used to get slammed a couple times per years with bugs. Haven't had one in a couple years. The last major problem was a BSOD several times per week that I eventually trouble shot down to a bad memory card using some on line diagnostics. System has operated pretty much flawlessly. That was not the case back on AVG and Avast.

Quote:
Kindle fires play amazon prime streaming (it seems like they should) but for $99 a year there's a bunch of stuff neighbor could hook himself up with.

Yeah. Once I find him a workable signal he can decide what he wants to view and what he can afford. Maybe the router will kick start me into a new "era"....lol.

If you do set up a wifi router for him, one with the ability to provide a guest SSID is a good idea.

I have this for when my daughter has friends over for homework parties. The guest SSID is only given internet access. It cannot see other nodes on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back