synthetic oil in chinese gy6 scooter?

greetings, i have always had used synthetic oils in my vehicles, recentlyy got a brand new scooter, gy6 engine, mostly the standard for al chinese bikes, i immediately added motul synthetic oil, with the viscosity marked in the users manual, the scooter runs just fine,BUT i have been seeing in some youtube channels people saying that synth is no good for these cheap engines, i feel kind of concerned when i see videos of bike mechanics saying that your engine may blow if you use synth in engines smaller than 750cc or super fast bikes,
i would like to know the opinion of well informed people and or personal experiences in this matter what are your thoughts?

I would like to see those videos.. for entertainment purposes.

I have never heard of an engine that will blow up on synthetic...ever.

More importat than oil selection is making sure the valve clearance is not set too tight. Just a random unsolicited tip.

Originally Posted by AndyinAL
More importat than oil selection is making sure the valve clearance is not set too tight. Just a random unsolicited tip.

That is not the only clearance they generally neglect to ensure is correct......

What videos are you referring to? I have to look long and hard for Bubba's redneck garage on YouTube to find anything remotely resembling that wrong advice. LOL.

Let's look at this from a practical perspective. What is the oil change interval on the scooter? The real advantage to synthetic oil in an engine is the ability to go longer between changes and in the case of a shared sump motorcycle to maintain shift quality for longer as the synthetic oils tend to shear less overtime.

Your scooter doesn't have a shared sump if it has a CVT transmission, and your oil change interval is probably 2,000 miles or less. Run a good conventional oil and even change it more often for the same cost as running synthetic for the full interval.

thank you all for your imput, the videos are from chinese and latin american countries, since they work with a ton of scooters a day, everyday and they tend to give good mechanical tips, thats why it made me hesitate a little their opinion, but ill stick to my synth, i feel very comfortable with it

Originally Posted by robbieboy
... i feel kind of concerned when i see videos of bike mechanics saying that your engine may blow if you use synth in engines smaller than 750cc or super fast bikes,
i would like to know the opinion of well informed people and or personal experiences in this matter what are your thoughts?

Any guy (especially a mechanic) saying in a video that synthetic oil will blow up an engine (regardless of size) is either making stuff up or totally disconnected from reality, lol. That's s new one.

Syn oil will make that scooter run like a crotch rocket. I would guess the scooter is a low out put engine.

Understanding synthetics means more refining to remove less desirable
elements from crude until what's left is mostly higher-performing
molecular structures. Waxy stuff had to go because it made oil congeal
at winter temperatures. Aromatics had to go because they lost
viscosity too rapidly when hot. Unsaturates had to go because they
were vulnerable to heat-driven gumming and sludging. And so on.

What is 100% true for all the synthetics are uniform sized molecules
that don't exists naturally... so armed with that knowledge you can
shop for the best synthetic price because no matter what brand of
uniform molecules we choose they will meet or exceed our mileage
expectations...

Synthetic Advantages
Higher viscosity index
Better viscosity stability at varied temperatures
Better chemical and shear stability
Consistent fluidity
Better lubricity at low temperatures
Faster lubrication at start-up in low temperatures
Resistance to oxidation (thickening), thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problem
Excellent protection at high temperatures
Engine cleanliness
Outstanding protection against harmful deposits
Cleaner running engines
Lower oil evaporation
More engine power

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bonz
Oh my, cut and paste picture book on oil, again... THAT'S helpful...

18.gif

Ignoring also that it is an inaccurately simplistic depiction....

If something goes wrong, it's not going to be because of the oil, it's going to be because it's a Chinese scooter.
I find it funny that you're running pricey oil in a cheap engine, but hey, it's your money and your engine.

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist
Ignoring also that it is an inaccurately simplistic depiction....

If you take a close look at the picture, you'll see that due to the uneven size molecules of conventional oil, the power is actually going up! Whereas with synthetic, power just stays the same.
Why wouldn't you want more power? Clearly, conventional oil is the better choice when it comes to more power.

The only downside is that the conventional oil has some amount of coronavirus in it, so you'll want to make sure you wear PPE when handling the stuff.

lol.gif

I laugh when I see "wax forms at low temperature". Wax that is taken out of the oil by every manufacturer is sold to make candles among other things. Last I looked a candle sitting on my shelf at 75° was hard. Engine oil is hot enough to cause a burn if you change it after a good drive, there's no wax that will remain in the engine. What little bit may exist will drain right out with the oil. Sludge isn't wax, wax gets hard when it cools down. Sludge is the oil having removed contaminants from your engine and settled.

More frequent oil changes would be in order if you have sludge or are blaming sludge on what's in the oil instead of looking at the root cause which is what the oil is removing from your engine.

have owned scoots on & off since 2011...piaggio, aprilia, vespa, genuine scooter company; piaggio, aprilia, vespa: some built in China & had oil filter screens...all spec'd 5w-40 synthetic oil; my genuine buddy 125's had both oil filter screens & screw-on oil filters...spec'd 15w-40 oil; I have ran 'frankenbrews' of various 10w-40 & 15w-40 oils (conventional, full sun, synblends); no matter what was used, the oil lubricated, cooled, and suspended contaminants;

the higher end piaggio, aprilia, vespa, and genuine buddy 4T's benefit from additional element or screw-on filters to remove alot of contaminants and extended usable oil life; most Chinese gy6 engines rely on a filter screen that does very little filtration so dirty oil circulates and gets dirtier so useful life is reduced; use whatever oil ya want but make sure you do not exceed recommended oil change intervals...

Last edited:
Back