Syneresis, learned a new word today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading the book "Ignition" (a book on liquid rocket fuels) I came across this word, and it's definition.

The word "Syneresis" means the contraction of a gel accompanied by the separating out of liquid .

Of course, I thought of the various old grease tubs I have floating around my aircraft hangar. Where the oil has clearly separated and what's left of the grease is a clay like blob in the bottom of the tub.

I know there is likely a word for just about anything, but I never thought to look this one up. Of course, in today's climate, some people prefer to use descriptions instead of the proper word.... Short = vertically challenged, Felon = justice involved individual, Drunk = alcohol impaired, etc.

So, I'll have to try the word on a co-worker the next time I see some bad grease and see if they know it.

Last edited:
After the syneresis has occurred, you can clean it up with a :

Semi-amorphous module sensitive to differential molecular tensions

That's a SPONGE

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I know there is likely a word for just about anything, but I never thought to look this one up. Of course, in today's climate, some people prefer to use descriptions instead of the proper word.... Short = vertically challenged, Felon = justice involved individual, Drunk = alcohol impaired, etc.

Graffiti = Tagging
Gambling = Gaming
Welfare = Entitlement Programs

Our Society is to sensitive / lets call things as they really are.

The Limitorque valve operators installed on furnace soot blower compressed air inlet valves caused many maintenance requests by over enthusiastic operations employees over my entire career around power generation equipment. The OEM supplies the operators with 00 grease ,and in the high temperature environment around the furnace(steam generator) the operators dripped oil and contaminated the steel grating walkways. I expect this is still going on. Probably still using hammer and slugging wrench to achieve proper crush on Flexitallic gaskets too. Somethings are beyond one's control if management is disinterested. You can't run a 1260 MW generating facility with a 100 MW mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back