synchromesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am being told I can use this in my 86 fiero 4 speed, The book calls for 5w-30 engine oil.. What do you guys know ? thanks

Yes, you can .
But most synchmesh is a bit too thin for the 86 , I would prefer a thicker MTF .
5W30 shears thin easily .

AC Delco Synchromesh MTF is what I would use; Not engine oil. Hopefully Molakule will chime in.

Last edited:
Hi Hunter29,

What you need is an MTF with a GL-4 rating and with a viscosity of about 9.0 to 10 cSt@100C such as those in the list below:

RAVENOL PSA
Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt
Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt
RAVENOL PSA 9.5 cSt
RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt
Redline MTL 75W80
Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
GM Synchromesh

Volvo MTF 645
Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
Motylgear 75W-80

Thank you, so the 3 in bold are the best ?

This ?

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4006-Synchromesh-Manual-Transmission/dp/B0026JK8FA/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Pontiac%7C52&Model=Fiero%7C594&Year=1986%7C1986&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Originally Posted by hunter29
Redline is 75w 80 ? thats far from 5w 30?? I'm getting confused..

You need to study this chart:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

One has to examine the viscosity chart which shows that an SAE 5W30 Engine Oil is in the same viscosity range as a 75W80 Gear Lube, but the gear lubes and the engines oils have vastly different additive packages.

The one's in bold are probably the most used MTF's in terms of popularity.

This site has a number of AC/Delco/GM Manual transmission fluids:

AC/Delco/GM Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluids

Last edited:
Considering Pennzoil Synchromesh is good stuff and available at any parts store that would be my choice. I've been using it in my 1988 F-150 in place of ATF for years now with good results.

In just about any auto parts store I have been to in the US (Advance Auto, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc) both Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchromesh can be found on the shelves.

Any of the GM Synchromesh's can be found at any GM dealer.

Amsoil Sponsor Pablo can hook you up with the Amsoil MTL.

Not sure why you insist on ordering these items through the Internet when they can be found locally.

Last edited:
I was just shopping around and found that. Not available cannot ship got my attention... maybe its a mistake, I wrote them to find out why..

Since you have received a number of suggestions and technical information it is now time to make a choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back