Superleggera V4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm in lust...

Ducati Superleggera V4

[Linked Image from roadracingworld.com]

02SE - thought you bought something similar not to long ago? I bet that V-4 would be a blast.

Originally Posted by Kira
Only 500 of them to be made. All in 2020.

The article didn't mention price.

That means we can't afford it.

If that is the "all carbon" model the article I read said $385 per lb, but I dont know how much it weighs (lol).

Ducati certainly knows how to build a pretty motorcycle but I guess my tastes are too antiquated (BIG fan of mid/late 90's Superbike racing here) to appreciate all the sharp angles and winglets and stubby tail sections.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
02SE - thought you bought something similar not to long ago? I bet that V-4 would be a blast.

I have a Panigale V4 Speciale. This has 8 more peak horsepower, and is a claimed 33 or so pounds lighter. Plus the winglets that provide downforce to help keep the front wheel planted.

Then there's this: Purchasers of the Superleggera V4 will also be offered a track test on the factory Panigale V4 R competing in the Superbike World Championship and, for the first time ever, a unique opportunity to test the Desmosedici GP20.
crazy2.gif

I'm never going to be a factory rider. But it would be awesome to pretend on factory WSB and MotoGP machines for a day. (imagine a drooling emoticon here).

Originally Posted by Rand
If that is the "all carbon" model the article I read said $385 per lb, but I dont know how much it weighs (lol).

Claimed 350 lbs dry weight.

Race breed V4s are moozic to the seat of my pants...

Cut my wrist and it will bleed Honda red... so it kills me to root for Ducati's V4 over Honda's CBR1000RRR I4 a fat pedestrian street bike in WSB racing...

Technically speaking the V4 sports more advantages than a I4...

1) Cube-like crankcase are inherently more rigid than the longer,
beam-like case of an I4 engine.

2)Short V4 crankshaft weights less than an I4...
[Linked Image from farm3.static.flickr.com]

3)Short V4 crankshaft has less distance to travel and thus takes
physical effort to change direction than I4...
[Linked Image from farm3.static.flickr.com]

4) 90º V4 has perfect primary balance, a great improvement over
the buzzy, second-order vibration of an I4...

5) A narrow V4 affords up to a 35% reduction in aerodynamic drag over
the wide I4...
[Linked Image from farm1.static.flickr.com]

6) A V4 has less internal crank bearing friction and able to spin up
faster and deliver more rear wheel HP...

Last edited:
Don't forget that a V4 has twice as many cylinder heads and camshafts with associated drive systems (chains/belts/gears). And whilst that are narrower frontal area, they are longer and can compromise suspension packaging and exhaust routing.

It's all give and take but I agree that overall it is a better solution, and far more characterful than an I4 (although the Yamaha cross-plane crank does put a bit back). Bring back the RC45!

Yamaha's cross plane "virtual V4" is brilliant it still doesn't offer as many advantageous as a real V4...

Yamaha's own I4 versus V4 wheelbase study showed equal engine lengths with a stacked gear box...
[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

One of the reasons Ducati dropped the long and ponderous V2 in favor of the short and snappy V4 is due to unwanted length...

NOTE (green numbers represent the V4 and V2 crankshaft centers in
relationship to the center of the front wheel)

Ducati V4
[Linked Image from farm4.static.flickr.com]

Ducati V2
[Linked Image from farm4.static.flickr.com]

Last edited:
Ah, yes. Another Ducati I could nearly kill myself on. LoL.

Clint Eastwood said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations." (Magnum Force, 1975)

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Clint Eastwood said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations." (Magnum Force, 1975)

But unless you're constantly challenging that limit, how will you ever truly know where it lies? I'm currently eying the 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290 as I don't have the need or room to safely exceed 120mph anymore, so a standard with tons of torque will do just fine.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Ducati certainly knows how to build a pretty motorcycle but I guess my tastes are too antiquated (BIG fan of mid/late 90's Superbike racing here) to appreciate all the sharp angles and winglets and stubby tail sections.

Agree on both counts. I know it is horribly outdated, but I had a 1992 GSXR 750 and that's still one of my favorite looks... maybe ‘cuz she was my first. You never forget your first....
smile.gif

This thing is obviously FAH and will greatly exceed the rising capabilities of 90%+ of riders, but riding in the fetal position just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

The Ducati is real nice but, if I were young and in the market for that type of motorcycle it would be the Ninja H2-H2R.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

But unless you're constantly challenging that limit, how will you ever truly know where it lies? I'm currently eying the 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290 as I don't have the need or room to safely exceed 120mph anymore, so a standard with tons of torque will do just fine.
lol.gif

The Super Duke 1290 could probably do 120 mph doing a wheelie (see it on the track in the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRPefI22K0

Originally Posted by FastGame
The Ducati is real nice but, if I were young and in the market for that type of motorcycle it would be the Ninja H2-H2R.

My old 'Busa is lightened up to the same weight as the H2R, makes the same peak rwhp, buts lots more under the curve with a torque peak about 60 lb-ft higher than the H2R. And the old 'Busa is street legal, unlike the H2R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back